o
Shower Window

Posted by azwildcats70 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 12:08

Does this sound right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Window

Looks like an old drawing from FHB. Ah, the good ole days.

Not sure what the window jamb material (the mustard-ish colored material in the drawing) is on your window, but if it's wood, Kerdi over wood won't work. If it's vinyl, I don't thinset the Kerdi to vinyl. Poor bond strength. I'll usually try to remove whatever it is and replace it with cement board.

If it is indeed a vinyl jamb an you can't remove it, again, you'll get a lousy bond with thinset over vinyl. I'll spread Kerdi Fix on the vinyl, then use the notched edge of a credit card sized plastic card to spread the Kerdi fix over the vinyl. Just like using a notched trowel to spread thinset over cement board.

Then embed the Kerdi into the Kerdi Fix.

I'd seal the Kerdi to the vinyl window itself (light blue in the drawing) with a bead of Kerdi Fix or an equivalent silane-based sealant. Then after you tile, caulk the tile and sill where they meet the window as shown in the drawing.

Almost forgot. Your drawing has the membrane sitting flat on the sill base, with the pitched sill set over the flat membrane. I like to pitch the sill base itself so the membrane is pitched too. Then install the sill over the pitched membrane.

o
Thanks!

Thanks Mongo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here