Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rchicago

Shower Enclosure Advice, Please

RChicago
11 years ago

Hello,

We're at the planning stage where the architect has drawn a draft scheme for the master bath and we need to start picking materials. I'd like to be as specific as possible when we go to seek bids.

I've scoured this board for advice and have a few questions about frameless glass showers:

1) If we specify Starphire, is there a particular Starphire glass you'd recommend? And are there any other companies making similar products?

2) Should we go with 3/8 or 1/2 inch glass? We'll have two walls of glass, one about 3 feet and the other nearly six feet long (but with a cut out to accommodate the end of the tub). Do we need to use the thicker glass?

3) We'd like our shower door to open both inward and outward. Our architect says that it's standard for door hardware to open in both directions. Is that correct, or do we need to specify that?

4) What about preapplied coatings on the glass? Hubby has already declared that he won't squeegee, and he usually showers after me. So, we likely won't be the best at daily cleanings. We'll definitely give a good wipe down weekly, though.

We'll also plan to specify the door pull and the clamps or u channels. Is there anything else we should specify? I don't either want to leave things up to the GC to go with inferior materials or to be hit with an upcharge later.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments (3)