Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gem_cap

Your experience of shower curtains ? (instead of glass)

Gemcap
9 years ago

Thanks to the posts and discussions on this forum, I'm opting for shower curtains over shower glass doors in our shower area (no bath tub).

I am leaning towards extra long shower curtains (8 feet plus) so the curtain rod does not hang mid air. To prevent water seepage into the dry area, the curtain has to have an overhang on the floor. Could those of you who have curtains be kind enough to share your experience on the following?

1. Does pretty much all the water get retained in the wet area or is there a fair amount of seepage into the dry area?
2. How do you get your curtain lower ends dry after use (as they will trail on the floor?
3. Anything else I need to keep in mind reg shower curtains?

Many thanks

Memorable quote "Hotels have maids. If the hotel manager cleaned the rooms, more hotel tub surrounds would have shower curtains instead of glass doors. "

Are shower curtains "out''

This post was edited by gemcap on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 12:32

Comments (10)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I opted for a fabric shower curtain. It's an extra long stall style from BBB, white polyester I think. It is hung with a tension rod because I thought I would get a glass door when I first redid the bathroom, but changed my mind and am too nervous to have the tile drilled for a permanent rod. But it works fine.

I love the poly because it dries quickly and when I wash it every month or two, I just bleach it and any mold that may have grown on the hem disappears (it's never a lot, but sometimes a hint). I was worried the bleach might turn the poly yellow, but it doesn't.

No water gets on the floors unless I am careless and don't make sure the sides are flush against the shower. I'd never opt for glass, esp. now that I see how easily my fixtures got water spotted...and we have fairly soft water here.

• Gemcap
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Olychick. May I ask whether you have a raised step between the wet and dry area?

The bathroom is quite small (10 feet X 5 feet) so the dry (sink & toilet) and wet (shower) areas are allocated just enough space.

I didn't add the boundary step as I thought it would be a tripping hazard. The floor of the wet area is only about 1/2 inch to 1 inch below the dry area with the original plan being to add a shower glass door. With that plan now nixed, am now wondering how to keep the water out of the dry area

This post was edited by gemcap on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 23:55

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

If you make sure to get a weighted hem, you should be able to hang your curtain without it touching the floor.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

mine does have a curb. I think if you get a weighted curtain and hang it low enough that it touches, it may keep the water from seeping out, but am not sure. You'll have to try it and you can always add the glass if needed. But I'm not sure how you get a seal at the bottom of glass. The curb is usually slanted in a bit to keep the water flowing from the glass back into the shower.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

too nervous to have the tile drilled for a permanent rod

Olychick, that was me. I had just had nice new tile installed and I hated the idea of drilling into it. I planned on using a straight tension rod; it was okay but I felt meh.

I found some courage, took plenty of measurements, and let my GC drill holes and install a curved rod. OMG, what a pay off!!! Do it. It's a revelation.

• char_35
    9 years ago

I have a average size shower that has about a 4" ledge on the outside. I put up a shower curtain and a liner on the same hooks. The curtain comes just to the floor line and the liner stays inside the 4" ledge. I get very little water outside the shower.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

We don't have a shower stall, but just a tub with shower. I'd originally been planning a swinging glass door on the tub and had the wall reinforced to do so. After visiting several friends with glass shower doors, I decided against it and went with the curtain. Best choice ever. Right now we are temporarily housed in a condo with glass shower doors on the shower stall. I don't hate them, but it is a real pain to be cleaning it all the time.

I've heard others talk about the phenomenon of the curtain blowing in on them in the shower but I've never had this happen to me - ever.

I like to use a clear poly liner and then a fabric curtain over. This works in the tub set up, but I'm not sure how it would work with a shower stall.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I've never had the curtain blow in on me. I have a window in the shower/tub alcove (always open) and no exhaust fan, so the air doesn't get whipped around much at all.

I use a single water-shedding fabric curtain and I love it. It keeps things simple and is easy to wash and rehang to dry. When I remodel my smaller master bath, I want to use a curb and a cloth curtain. I'm over glass enclosures.

• asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
    9 years ago

We have a very small shower and our heavy, clear plastic curtain has blown in on me, but it's easy to press the curtain to the wet tile in order to make it stop. One idea I found online to prevent that from happening was to have a curtain with metal weights and add a couple of magnets to the curb area.

Don't know if that's something you'd want to bother with, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Oh, and the biggest thing I've found to help dry curtains is to not keep them bunched together after a shower.