Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P trap and Supply Lines

Posted by kaljr82 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 11:56

My wife and I are having a custom built vanity put into our new master bath. Not knowing anything about plumbing, we thought that the P-Trap and Supply lines would be able to be housed in the cabinet portion under the sink.

Our construction manager said it looks impossible to squeeze it all in there, so it looks like it will all be exposed underneath our vanity. No big deal. We will just do a Chrome P-Trap and some nicer supply lines and valves.
My question to you all is anyone else in this sitaution? Does it look alright in person? I have looked at several pictures and it seems to look okay but just want some reassurance.

Also, any suggestions on an inexpensive place to buy nice look plumbing supplies? We want something nice and curable, but will not throw is even more over our budget (our contractor normally just does pvcp-traps and standard supply lines)

Another thing, last time I was in the house I noticed the the rough ins for the supply lines and the drain were not mirror images of each other *they actually look quite different) Is this easy enough for the contractor to fix? My guess is our foreman did not tell the plumber that the bottom half of our vanity would be exposed, however all of the drywall and painting is done and am worried that we will be put behind by having to redo this plumbing work.
Very frustrating

Any input would be great!
Thanks!.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P trap and Supply Lines

This is a case where the vanity style had to be carried forward so blind plumbing could be installed, up high enough to be out of sight.

If the plumbing can't be up high enough to be hidden, then it should at least be symmetrical.

Exposed plumbing can look fine. Asymmetrical plumbing, hey, it is what it is. If you don't push your construction manager for things to be corrected now - and despite the drywall being installed and the wall painted, THIS IS the time to get it rectified if you're ever going to get it rectified - the out-of-kilter plumbing may become invisible to you over time. Or it might grate at you every time you walk into the bathroom.

As an option to not moving the plumbing, you could have your cabinet maker make you a couple of stained panels to fit in the open back of those open shelves. The panels could be full height, or just designed to hang down a few inches from the underside.

Any exposed plumbing could be hidden behind those panels. The panels can simply be held in place by a couple of cleats with magnets. They can be fabricated now, or down the road if the plumbing truly does bug you. The only downside is you'd lose a few inches of depth on the shelf space on those open shelves.

If it was my call, I'd have the plumbing moved now so it's all hidden by the vanity. Have it reset to where it should have been installed in the first place.

Your construction manager manages the construction. Don't let him manage you. You have to manage him.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here