dneubecker

***Shower Pan***

mdln
10 years ago

What's wrong with Terrazzo?

Comments (13)

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

I guess it could be used if you can find some way to grind it to the proper shape....but the grinding, honing and polishing I've seen are all done with machines that make it FLAT.

Not something I'd want to attempt, thats for sure....

• mdln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ stonetech - they are commercially in the proper shape - available from several places including: American Standard/Fiat and Creative-Terrazzo.

American Standard/Fiat
    http://www.fiatproducts.com/products/productDetail.aspx?id=5197

Creative-Terrazzo
    http://www.creative-terrazzo.com/shower-bases.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: terrazzo shower base

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Have you seen one in person? I love the look, but from what I know of kitchen counters, it's very expensive. If cost isn't an issue, and you have seen what they look like for yourself, and you like it, I'd say you have a winner!

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

I love terrazzo floors! I have seen shower pans done in terrazzo out where I live in Palm Springs. We have a very big mid-century influence down here and I love the classic look of it.

• mdln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@ raehelen - yes, I saw one in a bath showroom (Banner Plumbing) and a friend has one in her shower. I was lucky to pet/house-sit for her recently and used it. Felt very solid.

For a 36x48" pan they range in price from $500 to $950.

Not sure why more people don't have them.....

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

There's nothing wrong with terrazzo, although I don't believe it ever was very popular in the residential market. I also wonder how often it's spec'ed for commercial construction these days.

I like it a lot. The grammar school I went to (built in the 1950's) has terrazzo in the main entrance area, stairs and all the bathrooms. I've been to an indoor shopping mall (built in the 1970's) that has all the common area floors in terrazzo. Also common in many office buildings. (At least in the Chicago area.) A neighbor of mine who works in construction put in terrazzo floors in his kitchen and back door entry way.

The nice thing about terrazzo flooring is that it's seamless.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

OH OK, that's not too bad then. I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about! LOL I wonder why more people don't have them too then! Wonder how they perform/stand up?

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

It has all of the drawbacksof marble. It's porous and etches. In a flooring situation, it's commonly coated with an acrylic top dressing or a commercial grade wax and then buffed. I don't have any idea how that woud even be accomplished or maintained in a wet environment.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

@hollysprings - that's a good point; we are talking about a shower pan here. Personally, I'd go with cast iron, but that's just me. :)

• mdln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is treated with a terrazzo sealer, that can be reapplied every year or two. Apparently wax is not recommended.

• chisue
    10 years ago

Isn't there something solid,man-made, that looks good, but is not porous and much cheaper? We are talking about a FLOOR in a SHOWER, after all.

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

Mdln - I think this would look great and you will be able to make it work if you really want it. I live in Palm Springs and I love mid-century architecture. There are many homes here with terrazzo floors and showers, some original and some fairly new. Good luck! Post photos if you go this route.

• mdln
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@lisalu - Thank you for the words of encouragement.

There are so many more choices (manufacturers & colors) than I originally thought, ranging in price from $365 - $950 for a 36x48 pan.

Next step - find one that goes with my tile selection.