Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nb_gw

Estimate too high for bathroom renovation?

N__B
11 years ago

Got an estimate for renovation of small Manhattan apartment bathroom. I've seen his work and it is very good. Also recommended by other people in my building. But does it seem kind of high?
------------------------------------------------------
Apply for city permits
$850.00 (approx 2 weeks)

Demolition and hauling: Includes tub removal and disposal, walls ceiling and floor demolition and disposal of material
$2,100.00 (approx 2 days)

Install new walls with metal studs, cement boards around tub and green sheetrock outside tub area and prepare for tile and wallpaper, prepare floor for tile installation, closet walls
$1,800.00 (approx 2 days)

Install, grout and seal tiles on walls and floors, install wallpaper and plaster and paint ceiling (tile and wallpaper provided by client)
$3,500.00 (approx 4 days)

Install new door Bathroom door (Provided by client), repair door surround on the outside walls, Install bathroom furniture and hardware, light fixtures (provided by client)(does not include water fixtures)
$850.00 (approx 1 day)

TOTAL
$9,100.00

This post was edited by N__B on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 13:04

Comments (21)

• piscesgirl
    11 years ago

Seems extreamly reasonable to me, especially for Manhattan. We received quotes for our Philly suburb small bathroom reno that were in a range of anywhere from $8,500 to $19,500 for labor only.

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

If anything it is about 3-4x too cheap. Is he actually licensed and insured and approved to work in your building?

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

I don't see any mention of waterproofing. How is he going to waterproof the tub (I assume it's a tub/shower combo)?

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

Not high at all.

A basic bathroom remodel (down to studs) is $10,000. Manhattan prices would be 50% more.

A fine remodel with marble or other natural stone, linear drain, recessed lights, towel warmer, floor heating, floating vanity, etc would be at least $20,000

• N__B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes he is licensed in NJ and NY. He has also already done work in my building for a couple of neighbors.

It is a tub/shower combo. I will have to find out about the waterproofing.

Thanks all for your input!

• N__B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Does the $850 for NYC permits sound right? I have no idea what these are supposed to cost.

• kompy
    11 years ago

Permit charges are not just for getting them....he has to submit detailed drawings and descriptions, arrange meetings with inspectors (electrical, plumbing, structural and final inspections). All of that takes TIME, TIME, TIME! $850 is more than fair!

A full gut job here in the Midwest ranges from $8000 to $15,000. I agree...that price seems low. Are you supplying all the materials? IF yes, then that would make more sense.

• lisaj1354
    11 years ago

Right now, a full gut reno, and creating a walk in shower, replacing the tub, moving the vanity and toilet, and possible removing/changing doors is going to cost me approx. $15000 for a 9x11 ft bathroom.

I'm in Northern NJ and the contractor is licensed and insured.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Does the estimate not include plumbing and electrical work?

• N__B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just tub, walls, and tiles. Tiles are on floor and go halfway up walls (except for tub/shower where it goes to ceiling).

• catbuilder
    11 years ago

The OP said they were supplying the tile and fixtures.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I've been in Manhattan bathrooms that are 3x7 for shower bath , and less than 5x7 for full so remember this is probably a small amount of square footage. It still seems a bit on the low side unless all the materials are basic.

• N__B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bathroom is 4.5 x 7

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

That really could be about right. My slightly larger one in Phila was about $13,000, and the contractor is a bit on the pricey side because he specializes in getting bathrooms done in condos quickly and with good workmanship. I used very basic finishes like White Daltile and an Americast tub.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

In concur with the others here. Sounds reasonable.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I think it sounds reasonable and I suspect that in a few months prices will go higher as the folks effected by Sandy get into more rebuilding. After Katrina, you couldn't find people to do work in the NO area, so all the folks from Louisiana were in Houston planning and ordering. Since they had whole houses to do, you couldn't even get folks to talk to you for a single room. I'd say do it now.

The bid does specify cement board and tile (owner supplied tile).

• Tim
    11 years ago

For what its worth, I hate estimates that bundle materials and labor together.

I zoomed in on the demolition work, as it involves no material. $2100 for 2 days of work. Factor in maybe $300 to dispose of the materials (knowing the size of the room would help). So you're paying $900 a day for demolition labor. $90 per hour?

Granted, this is in Manhattan and I have no idea what the logistics are of getting demo done there are like and what disposal costs are - just seems like a lot of money for 2 days labor for what I presume is 1 person.

Also figures in to the $850 labor for the 1 day of installing the door and fixtures etc. No materials involved I presume - just 1 day of labor for $850.

As others have said it sounds reasonable in the end, but to me $850 a day for labor is about 2x what it should be and is double what I pay in Toronto for skilled labor of the type you're describing.

• BrooklynDIY
    11 years ago

I am doing a similar renovation in my tiny bathroom. The guy I want to work with quoted $19k, that's with builder-grade "stuff", so it would be more when all is said and done.

Instead I'm doing the demo myself, having him do all plumbing and electric, deal with the existing tub, install new one, replace shower body and install backer board. This alone is costing $6,250

I will do the wall and floor tiling, take care of toilet and sink.

If I could get him to do all of that for $9.5k I'd jump all over it.

• xedos
    11 years ago

"this is in Manhattan and I have no idea what the logistics are of getting demo done there are like and what disposal costs are "

yes it's a lot of money- but perhaps you shouldn't weigh in until you've had a chance to park your truck in Manhattan, then wait on the service elevator or take the stairs, then wait on your tradesman to show up and find his parking, then pay for both, the actually demo the stuff and cart it out one trash can at a time and then fill up that truck and send it out to Jersey or Conn. for disposal as there just aren't many places on the little island that take busted up tubs and broken tile.

You'll also need to markup these services and add a profit to the costs if you're running a business, so this stuff adds up quick !

This is EXACTLY why most businesses don't itemize costs, it simply invites discord because I'm sure anyone with an internet connection can find a cheaper price on a shovel or Moen faucet or laborer to cart out trash. You are paying for MANAGEMENT and expertise - not just a pretty faucet or trash removal and everyone want to make a PROFIT along the way.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Exactly xedos

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    11 years ago

bump