Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experience with Enduroshield

Posted by gardnr (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 11:04

Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the Enduroshield coating for a shower door? Does it really last without peeling or bubbling? Trying to decide if it is worth the $225 upcharge!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experience with Enduroshield

Just use Rain-X. It's a lot cheaper, and when it starts to wear off, you just clean the door and apply again.

o

the only advantage to using a factory applied coating is this type of product will seal the pores of the glass and not allow the iron, minerals etc to soak into the pourous surface of the glass and turn it milky over time. Rainex is really only designed to shed water and as live stated would need to be reapplied periodically. I have never heard of Enduroshield but I have sold both Shower Guard and Diamond Fusion.

o

Hi there,

I apologize for responding to this late, but only just found that a question had been asked! As always, visit our website for lots of information at www.enduroshieldusa.com. Regarding my ability to answer your question, I work for EnduroShield, so hopefully I'll have the best information for you.

In response to the first question that started the thread, no, EnduroShield products cannot chip, yellow, peel, bubble, fade, or many of the other problems associated with coatings. This is due to the fact that it is about 1/1000 the thickness of a human hair, is optically clear, and can withstand temperatures high enough to have the products used on the inside of oven windows.

As to the up-charge, that's really an individual decision, but to take the second post into account, how much Rain-X would be needed to keep the glass water repellent for 10 years? As long as no abrasives, extremely acidic or extremely basic substances are used on EnduroShield treated glass, it never needs reapplication, top ups, revitalizers, or any mandated products to keep it working.

We've gotten the coating tested by one of the leading independent global testing and certification houses, that it will last beyond 10 years with chemical, adhesive, abrasive, UV, and temperature shock resistances as long as you follow the care instructions. And before you balk, the care instructions are just avoiding abrasives, acids, and bases.

Thanks to Mill for pointing out the sealing of the pores, while I am not a chemical engineer it is a great analogy. EnduroShield is effectively time-capsuling the glass against detritus from coming in to contact, and subsequently deteriorating the glass.

One further point to make about EnduroShield treated glass is that as opposed to competitive products it is both Hydro and Oliophobic. In other words, it repels both oil and water based substances, meaning that not only will water and minerals be far easier to clean, but also any body fats, soaps, or other oils will be far easier to clean.

Lastly, EnduroShield offers a Performance Warranty as opposed to many other products. To use a pizza analogy, many competitors will give you a warranty saying that, "Your pizza will be hotter than uncooked pizza, and come within 30 minutes or it's free!" Our warranty however, states that it will "Arrive within 30 minutes and piping hot or it's free!" In other words, EnduroShield treated glass will not just be "more" water repellent that untreated glass, but will remain an easy-clean surface.

I know that I work for the company, and am expected as such to promote it, but it really is a phenomenal product. If you have any questions or would like more information, please drop by the website, send us an email, or get in contact with us in any other way you'd like and we would be happy to help out!

Here is a link that might be useful: EnduroShield USA Website

o

Hello,

I am a representative from Diamon-Fusion International. Sorry for the late response, we just learned of this site and the postings here so I hope it's ok if I answer some of the what seems like are the most confusing points when comparing coatings.

-Diamon-Fusion® is a low-maintenance, not a no-maintenance coating for silica-based surfaces (glass, ceramic, porcelain, tile, granite, and quartz). Using most brand name window cleaners on the market to clean DFI treated glass is harmful because they are acidic and harsh. Diamon-Fusion® is easily cleaned with just mild soap and water, so harsh chemicals are never needed. Nothing lasts forever, so claims of "it never needs reapplication, top ups, revitalizers, or any mandated products to keep it working" need to be very carefully considered.

-Diamon-Fusion® is a patented product. In a sea of questionable claims about what products can do, a patent is the rock you can rely on to make sure the technology is real. Our patent number is 6,245,387--check the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website (www.uspto.gov) for more information.

-Diamon-Fusion® is typically professionally applied and therefore is not generally available to the public through retail outlets. We've been working really hard to change that though, so look for our do-it-yourself product in the near future at major home centers! In the meantime, however, we do offer a kit with the D-I-Y, non-patented coating that's lower cost and you can get directly from us, or from authorized applicators in your area. Give us a call toll-free at 888-344-4DFI(334) to find one near you.

-Diamon-Fusion®'s major benefit provided for homeowners is through its water repellency; it resists hard water stains, soap scum build up, mold, mildew, bacteria, mineral deposits and leaching, and the coating also helps resist scratches. Additionally, there's an up to twenty percent increase in the brilliance of glass, helping to beautify the surface and therefore your home. Independent testing has also proven that Diamon-Fusion® helps make glass up to ten times harder to pit, chip, or crack. It's completely optically clear and the coating is guaranteed to never haze, yellow, crack, or peel.

-Diamon-Fusion®'s warranty is very clearly defined: If the basic maintenance instructions have been followed, and the contact angle of your treated flat architectural glass ever falls below 11-degrees, we'll honor the warranty. No questions, guesses, or opinions... just clear, measurable, and defined. Our basic maintenance is simply this: Never use any harsh or abrasive chemicals or cleaning implements, and do an easy, just wipe-it-down, weekly cleaning which you're likely doing anyway. Other warranties lack definition; how is 'easy to clean' defined? Who is the final arbiter of whether the surfaces are truly 'easy to clean'? If you disagree, how is it measured? Our answers are clear and simple.

-Diamon-Fusion® products are easily Revitalized. We support our product with offerings that give you tools you can use to make basic maintenance even easier. The additional optional products are uncomplicated to use, inexpensive, and easy to obtain. If you ever do happen to seriously neglect your treated surfaces, they'll help you bring them back to 'like new' condition, should you need to.

I hope this response has helped give you more information about our product. We'd love to talk to you about these benefits and others, and invite you to visit our website (www.diamonfusion.com), or better yet--give us a call. Please contact us soon and let us do our best to share with you how to clean less and make your life easier!
Thanks to everyone for your input, and we hope to have you as a Diamon-Fusion® customer in the near future.

o

My experience with the Enduroshield product was not good. I found that it lasted only about 4 weeks in my shower. I applied it to new glass, carefully following the directions, and even getting clarification from the company's staff in Australia on one particular instruction. When I finished the application, I was impressed with how good the glass looked; it was sparkling clean, flawless, and was very smooth to the touch.

I followed the Enduroshield instructions for cleaning, once per week with a mild detergent and microfiber cloth. The first two or three cleanings went well, the microfiber cleaning cloth glided smoothly over the glass and the buildup of water minerals on the glass came off easily. But after a few more cleanings I could tell the microfiber cleaning cloth was no longer gliding smoothly across the glass, it had noticeable drag as if the glass had become rough. The deposits no longer came off and the glass would not clean.

I contacted Enduroshield again with my problem but after waiting about 2 weeks for a reply, they have not responded.

o

I have enduroshield applied at the manufacturer. I have only been using the shower for a couple of weeks. Will have to see how it goes.

o

My neighbor cleans glass commercially and recommended a product "Crystal Clear Shower Glass Enhancement." The Kit has everything you need to restore your shower glass and seal it. It took less than an hour ��" I haven’t had to scrub my shower glass in more than a year ��" and my glass still looks like new. I recently saw Crystal Clear on Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

o

My neighbor cleans glass commercially and recommended a product "Crystal Clear Shower Glass Enhancement." The Kit has everything you need to restore your shower glass and seal it. It took less than an hour ��" I haven’t had to scrub my shower glass in more than a year ��" and my glass still looks like new. I recently saw Crystal Clear on Amazon.com. Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here