Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

DIY budget elegant bathroom, almost done: pics...

Stacey Collins
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your support and advice along the way with our latest project... we're ALMOST done but sort of stalled. We just need to add the door threshold and some pretty natural wood shelves above the toilet, but DH has moved on to other woodworking projects, so those little projects have been shoved down the list of priorities. Since it may be months before I get those shelves (and art/decor) up, I thought I'd at least post some pics of the room as it is now. Forgive the crappy lighting: it's snowing hard so there's no natural light :(

Project scope:

1956 bathroom with 1980's/90's tile, vanity, toilet. Tub was original but sadly unsalvageable: the enale was totally wrecked and stained and impossible to clean.

Suspected some subfloor issues due to leaks.

Budget: $2,500. (final total was a bit under $3,000... so we didn't do too badly :))

The layout was awkward, the door swing used so much of the floor space and only allowed a very small vanity. Since this is the hall/guest bath as well as the primary bath for my teenage daughter, we really needed to maximize storage and vanity space. I drew a new plan which involved moving the doorway to the perpendicular wall. As much as my DH balked at adding additional work, he admitted it was TOTALLY the right thing to do once we finished. The room feels SO much bigger now.

OLD BATHROOM and layout:

Some photos from during the renovation... which was planned to take 4 weekends and ended up taking about 6 or 7.....

DD sledge-hammering the old tile down

lots of rot in the subfloor

Self-leveling-compound poured over the radiant floor heat cables in the floor

The shower area waterproofed with Hydroban (LOVE LOVE LOVE that stuff!)

~
~

~
~

~
~

~
~

NEW BATHROOM and layout plan:

DETAILS:

Since our budget was soooo tight, and we wanted to use quality materials and get a unique, custom bathroom, we had to get creative!!!

Tile:

I had a small amount (it was mostly random pieces and offcuts) of very $$$ calacatta marble mosaic tiles left over from a previous project that I knew I wanted to use. The other materials were chosen around that starting point. I designed niches to use that tile in, as accent, based on the quantity I had. I used inexpensive white marble baseboard pieces from Home Depot for the shelves.

For the rest of the tile, I needed to use super-cheap stuff (the entire room is tiled to chair-rail height), but I didn't want it to look cheap or ubiquitous. I would have used subways, but DD emphatically vetoed them. It's her bathroom, and we let her have a LOT of design input. Since we have other areas in the house that use square tile in a running-bond pattern, I decided to use 4x4s, which are the cheapest anyway, but in a running bond rather than stacked pattern. After bringing home samples of the big-box cheapies, I decided to "splurge" (20 cents more per tile, I think, it was about $2.35 per sf after sales and discounts)) on Lowes next-step-up American Olean Ice White, which has a slight rippled surface that catches the light and adds a layer of interest that the flat, cheaper Gloss White doesn't have.

For the floor, we used American Olean 12 x 18 Pietra Bianco, a limestone-look ceramic tile that I'm surprisingly happy with :) Underneath the tile is radiant-heat cable, so the floor is wonderfully cozy and warm.

Floor grout is Latapoxy epoxy.

Wall/shower grout is Tec Accucolor XT, a super-modified grout that supposed to be a lot more stain-resistant (PITA to work with, though!)

Hardware:

DD wanted girly, vintage-looking stuff, a big departure from DH and my modern aesthetic. We narrowed down the style range, then I started watching eBay for deals. We scored about $750 worth of valves and faucets and stuff for about $275.

Vanity faucet: Moen Monticello

Shower faucet valve, trim, tub spout: Moen Monticello with Thermostatic valve

Shower head: Grohe Relexa Ultra on slide bar (LOVE!)

(after working with a bunch of faucets recently, I can say that the Moen monticello stuff is pretty cruddy compared to the Grohe RElexa, Kohler Purist, and HansGrohe stuff I've used recently.)

Towel bars and tissue holder are Ginger Hotelier.

Curved shower rod is the Crescent Rod. I tried some expandable ones they had locally, but this one (ordered on line for the same price) is SO much sturdier and nicer-looking. It also makes the shower space much larger.

Toilet:

Toto Carolina that we got at a yard sale for $150 including the Washlet seat (which we removed). We were driving down the street and DD -who professes to HATE anything renovation-related- said, "Hey, look, Mom... isn;t that one of those skirted toilets you like?" SCORE.

Tub:

American Standard Princeton ~$300 at Lowes. yeah, we chipped it right away by dropping a tool on it while installing the faucets; luckily there's a repair kit that actually does a pretty amazing job :) We used the American Standard "Deep Soak" drain, which adds a couple inches water depth for baths. I wanted DD to use her OWN bathtub rather than my new one in the master bath :)

Vanity:

an old dresser. We bought it on Craigslist for $40, and DH reworked the drawers to fit the plumbing. He also added modern drawer slides so that they work easily. We bought fabulous vintage glass knobs on eBay (if you're looking for vintage knobs, check out this seller: billybobbosen.)

I painted it BM Dove Wing.

We totally went over budget on the vanity top. I'd intended to bet a remnant of granite... but of course couldn't find one DD and I liked. Then we found this little slab of Vermont White quartzite in the "exotics" bone pile at a local yard. It was over budget but we loved it. Then, of course, we decided that rather than a plain square front, it had to be cut to fit the curvy front of the dresser... which added about $100. So the vanity top was our biggest expense at $480.

Medicine cabinet:

A salvaged cabinet we got at the local Habitat for Humanity REStore about 2 years ago. We framed it into the wall (where the old door used to be), painted it, and I tiled the little shelf area with my calacatta mosaic accent tiles and marble baseboard pieces from Home Depot.

Lighting:

Pottery Barn wall fixture from eBay

Ikea ceiling fixture (like $8 each and rated for bathrooms!)

Fan/showerlight combo is a recessed, can-style fixture by Broan/NuTone. It's AWESOME. Quiet, unobtrusive.

That's all I can think of right now. I think once we have the natural wood shelves up over the toilet, with DD's shell collection and a plant on them, it will give a little but of softness/naturalness which the room needs. It's a little TOO "elegant" right now :)

Comments (95)

• Fori
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You guys do such nice work!

I do love the idea of getting a kid in fuzzy pink slippers to do the heavy demo.

• positano
    12 years ago

Hi stacyneil,
    I love the bathroom and the vanity! And that countertop is so beautiful. I want to find a remnant like that for our basement bath.

I have a question about the pottery barn light. Is that the mercer triple fixture? Does it give off a nice clear white light? In the catalog picture the lights looks like they give off a warm umber light, and that's not what I want. In your picture the lights look pretty white when on.
    Any feedback you can give would be great!

Thanks again,
    Paula

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Paula-
    Thanks!
    The Pottery Barn Mercer gives a warm white light. it's not umber, but not super clear white either. The other light in there is an Ikea frosted glass globe and it gives the same type of light. I'd say it is a typical white-cased-glass shade light effect... if that helps. Not any browner or yellower than you'd expect. Of course the bulb affects the quality of the light as well.
    I actually bring my makeup in there when I apply any, because the lights in my own master bathroom (Restoration Hardware sconces) just suck. I have the max bulb wattage in them, but they are a funny type of bulb and they are way, way, way too dim for makeup application! The Mercer is so much better.

• positano
    12 years ago

Thanks Stacey!
    That helps a lot, I appreciate you taking the time to answer me!

• onelady1dog2girls
    12 years ago

Stacey: you are wonderful to provide your experience to us. Can I ask you about grout? Basically, for porcelain, ceramic or glass, I want to put down the most stain resistant grout possible...it looks like you've learned quite a bit with your 2 renovations!

• sunshinetm
    12 years ago

Stacey, do you have your other bathroom posted on here? I would love to see some of the other renovation's you have done in your home. I know you are great with decorating to make everything looks Great. Terri

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,

onelady1dog2girls, I used "regular" grout in my master bathroom and kitchen. I'm really disappointed with the floor grout in the master bath. It stained immediately. In the second bath that I just did, I used epoxy grout on the floor (Spectralock) and it's fabulous. But it was a bit hard to work with, and I didn't want to have to do it on the walls and shower area. There, I used Tec Accucolor XT (the "XT" is important if you're looking for it) which is a highly modified grout. More modified than other modified grouts, if I understand right. It's alos a little harder to work with, but not too bad. And so far, it's been a breeze to keep clean.

Of course, white grout is harder to keep clean than darker colors. I used regular grey grout in my master shower floor and it hasn't been too bad, although that awful pink stuff does grow in it. That pink stuff hasn't touched any of the grout in my daughters bath (with the two grouts listed above) and they get the same amount of use and cleaning.

Terri, there are some photos of my master bath during the renovation here:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg1207570323032.html

and here:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg0108091815115.html

and here (this one has the most finished photos, at the top and halfway down the thread):
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg010946331466.html

Here is a link that might be useful: staceyneil's master bathroom

• sandsonik
    12 years ago

Awesome job! I love the calacatta marble mosaics and it really shows that you don't need to go all high end - a touch here and there really makes a huge difference and draws the eye to it even more, I think.

What's really interesting to me is that your old layout is exactly the same as my current layout except:
    -my door is on the side of where your vanity was, and swings toward the toilet.
    - I have a really awkward (and too big for such a small room, IMO) radiator in front of the really small space for the vanity - which means the vanity has to be both narrow enough to fit in between the door and the wall and shallow enough so that the doors don't hit the radiator.
    -my "before" is worse cosmetically - old 1945 peach tile with black accents, and this is my ONLY full bath in the house!

I've always thought there was nothing that could be done about it except expanding out over the kitchen which had been previously bumped out. So it was really interesting to see what you did with it and it's given me something to think about.

• onelady1dog2girls
    12 years ago

Stacey:

This ranks up there with probably the 5 most helpful things I've learned from these gardenweb forums. Grout is huge and one of the most likely (in my opinion) areas where the contractor could suggest anything and you wouldn't know it was a bad idea until it was too late. Thank you!!

• lamki
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for responding with the details, I really appreciate it!!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Stacey, you did such an amazing job! I am just drooling over your vanity with that gorgeous quartzite!

BEAUTIFUL JOB!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad I could help! and, thanks :)

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

Stacey, your bathroom is so beautiful. We're in the middle of a DIY bathroom reno and would like to make a multi-shelved tall shower niche like yours. How did you attach the shelves to the sides of the niche? It looks like you framed and hydrobanned one large rectangle without any recesses to support the shelves. If you could describe your method, I would be very appreciative.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi wolfgang,

The niches are pretty easy to do. Your'e correct, the whole thing is hydrobanned with just a smooth rectangle for each niche.
    I cut the shelves (marble baseboard pieces from home Depot) to just shy of the width of the niche opening. Measure each one separately and carefully because the hydroban can lump a little bit here and there, so it's not a totally smooth and square space.
    I started tiling at the bottom. I installed the first shelf, making sure it had a bit of a pitch forward. (I'd pitched the cement board underneath just a tad.) Then, using spacers, install the side and back tile. The fist row of my side/back pieces are cut on a very slight angle to match the slight pitch of the shelf. Tile up to the level of the next shelf.
    Now your're ready for the next shelf. It is simply supported by the tops of the side and back wall tile. There's plenty of depth in the tile to support it. Once it's all grouted it's super sturdy :)
    Repeat!

(For what it's worth, we had GW tile guru Bill Vincent tile our master shower and I just copied his method! I'm pretty sure this is the correct, pro-approved way to do it, so, no worries...)

• wolfgang80
    12 years ago

Thanks Stacey. I really appreciate your response.

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

Hi Stacey,
    First of all, what a fabulous job and what a beautiful space! Congrats!! I recall your master bath and this one is very classic in style, yet both are breathtaking!!

I know you've answered many questions so far (take it as a direct reflection of how inspirational your work has been!) -- but I have one more (hope you do not mind): did you put your bathroom heating mat on a separate electrical circuit? Or does it share its circuit with rest of the bathroom or with rest of the house?

Thanks in advance!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi homey bird,

Thanks!

I can't remember whether this small bath has two circuits or one (are you familiar with the code? If I remember correctly, you can have either one dedicated bath circuit, or a dedicated GFCI circuit and then the lighting can be on another circuit that shares with other rooms.)

Anyway- the floor heat is on the GFCI circuit (which may be the only circuit in there, since the room is so small.) SOME floor heat installations do require their own circuit. But we added up the load and it is tiny, so it didn't need its own circuit. It's a tiny room! It DOES need to be GFCI protected though.

I remember debating whether the master bath floor needed its own circuit or not, and I cant remember what we decided there. I can double-check my DH, who did the wiring, if you want.

• homey_bird
    12 years ago

Hi Stacyneil,
    Thanks a lot for the information.

It would be great to know about your master bath as well. We remodelled our hall bath couple of years back and our heating mat company does recommend a separate circuit for itself. However, the load is not very high in here too. What I and DH thought (DH is an electrical engineer) - was that we could share the load with rest of the bath but not place the whole bathroom on the main house circuit.

We're planning a new addition (hopefully some time soon) and this information will be useful over there.

Thanks again! I just cannot tire of looking at your bathroom -- if I had the skills and the means, this is exactly how I'd do a Princess Bath (although, our princess is currently a preschooler).

• stephanie_and_tim
    12 years ago

Hi Stacey,
    I just love this bathroom. Is there any chance you remember any more about the calacatta marble mosaic? I just spent a couple hours in a tile store and didn't see anything that beautiful.
    Thanks!

• stephanie_and_tim
    12 years ago

I see I missed it earlier:

"1) My mosaic tiles are about 1-1/8". If I recall correctly they are from Architectural Collections and I think they were called "Calacatta Gold Broken Joint Mosaic" by my retailer, but I do not think that's the actual proper name. I got them at Distinctive Tile in Maine; they may be able to help you track them down. Ask for Theresa: http://www.distinctivetileanddesign.com/ "

Thanks!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Glad you found it! The tiles seem to be fairly unique. I looked on line for them when I was sourcing materials and did not see them anywhere else. I absolutely love them. Funny enough, my installer did not "get" them, I think. He didn't like that they had the chipped corners and unevenness, I think. That they were purposely "broken". I love it, since it adds a warmer, more organic feeling to what sometimes is a fairly formal material (marble.)

• rosieo
    12 years ago

Stacy, thank you so much for posting this. It's so beautiful, I'm using it for the inspiration for my children's bath. You pulled off the neat trick of making a small bath look opulent, yet restrained and tasteful.

I love the way you made the most of your marble. It's just enough to give the feel of richness, without going overboard and doing the whole thing in marble and actually spending a fortune.

It's just lovely. And I'm so impressed and envious that you got Bill Vincent to do your tiling!

• westleyandbuttercup
    12 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful space!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I just love when this thread gets a bump so I have an excuse to look at it again. :)

Staceyneil, now that you've had it a while, how is the americast tub doing? Am I right in thinking you have an archer in your master bath? Which would you prefer if you could only have one?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, folks!

rosieo: Actually, Bill did the fabulous tiling in my master bathroom... but I did this one all myself :)

writersblock- yes, I have the Kohler Archer in the master bathroom. I had an Americast in my previous house, and in this bath as well. It is the nicest "budget" tub I could find. I'm sure you know that you can get one at Lowes for a lot less than they are listed for most places on line. Americast is known for chipping easily, and we did chip it before it was even commissioned (dropped a screwdriver while installing faucet trim.) Luckily they sell a chip repair kit which is a PERFECT match and you really can barely tell now. In our last house we did not set the tub in mortar nor insulate it. We did both to this Americast and to the ARcher as well. It makes a HUGE difference in how solid the tubs feel. Just installed with the nominal required cleats, the tub will flex a bit when used (in our last house.) I suspect the ARcher would do the same. Set in a mud bed and with insulation all around, they're both very solid, not noisy, and keep the water warm.

The Archer is significantly deeper, which makes it a better soaking tub bit would not be as good a dual use tub for showering...

I find the Americast finish easier to clean and it doesn't scratch. My Archer tub has a big scratch from the cat's claw (No, she didn't fall in while it was filled! She likes to hop up to the open window above it in summertime.)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thank you very much for all the details, staceyneil. Incidentally, were you aware that American Standard has their own version of the deeper overflow drain? It wouldn't make the Princeton anywhere near as deep as the archer, but the cambridge would come close:

Here is a link that might be useful: AS deep soak drain

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi writersblock. That is the drain we used!! I wanted my daughter to be able to take nice long baths in her OWN tub (rather than always using mine!)
    I will say that it's not a very pretty drain in person. The overflow cap is plastic, and it's quite large and glommy-looking. Not horrible, but nowhere near as elegant as the Archer one. Still- it does what it's supposed to do and definitely increases the soaking depth of the tub.
    If I only had one bathroom and it had a tub/shower combo, I would probably choose the Americast Princeton over the Archer because showering in it would be much easier, and we shower more than take occasional baths.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Yeah, you can tell even from the photos that it's not an elegant drain. In our situation, there's another bath with shower-only, so easy showering isn't such an issue. I've got another question about the tubs, but I'll start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I meant to say "from the photos on their website"--I don't think it's very noticeable in any of your pics.

• birdgardner
    12 years ago

That is fantastic! I love the way you used the mosaic remnants and they and that vanity top just make the room look so end. Just beautiful.

Definitely keeping your ideas in mind for future projects!

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, birdgardener. It was a rewarding project! Every time I go in there I think, "What a nice space..." :)

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

Searching for my own bathroom inspiration and love what you've done! Great job! I just started looking here, but you should post your pics here - I would def. add your project to my Inspiration book.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Share your pics here![(https://www.houzz.com/photos/bathroom-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_712)

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, ellen. I love houzz and I keep meaning to do that but never have the time. Always on to the next renovating project!

• kelvar
    12 years ago

I love everything about this bathroom. Please come and redo my daugthers bathroom exactly like this! Congratulations!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I always love it when this thread gets a bump. You did such a terrific job.

Staceyneil, is the fan the Broan 744?

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi writersblock-
    yes, that looks like the one we used. We've been happy with it. Quiet, very visually unobtrusive. We have it on a timer.
    Stacey

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Thanks!

• walkin_yesindeed
    11 years ago

Stacyneil, can I ask what you think of the vintage-dresser-as-vanity now that your daughter's been using it for a while? any problems with the drawers, or with cracking or chipping paint? I'm thinking of doing something similar, but most contractors have balked at the idea, and other posters here have raised concerns about the shellac on old furniture not standing up well to the heat and moisture of a bathroom.

• walkin_yesindeed
    11 years ago

bump, hopimg to catch stacyneil's eye!

• sandsonik
    11 years ago

I haven't even gotten through your post or pictures, but I just had to say I'm so excited to see a bathroom with the exact same layout and small size as mine! I'm completely stymied as how to get more room without stealing it from the bedroom next to it, so I'm eager to see your changes.

The only difference is my door swings open towards the toilet instead of towards the vanity. And we have the same teeny vanity, but a regular radiator where your heat register is, so that cuts down on the depth of the vanity we can have. Where you moved your door to, I have a linen closet outside the bathroom, and I don't know if I'm prepared to give that up!

Love the marble mosaic tile you used.

• sandsonik
    11 years ago

oops, on second glance, the layout isn't exactly the same. My door is currently on the same wall as the vanity. just to the right side of the wall, closer to the toilet.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Staceyneil,
    Are you still happy with the "epoxy" grouts and using white? I am considering it, and my aunt thinks that is the worst thing I could do (put white grout in a shower area). Any tips on keeping it white?

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Stacyneil, this thread has popped up again via a GW BR link and I'm just amazed at your families knowledge and work! Wonderful.

I wish to ask if your original 1956 bathroom was wall tiles over cement? Many baths were done like that at that time. If so, how hard was the demolition? I have been advised it's tres difficile, although anything is possible if so desired. My old 1946 baths are classic black and white in pretty good shape (tile over cement) but the half bath needs fixing. Thanks!

• MrsD
    9 years ago

Stacyneil, what color of TEC grout did you use with the calacatta gold tile? They have a bright white and standard. I'm guessing standard?

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Amazing job! That vanity top was worth every penny. It's gorgeous.

• Maya Eoff
    7 years ago

Hi, How wide is the bath tub? I also have a 5x8 bathroom and I found a 34" wide tub and worried it may be too wide. Thank you.

• Stacey Collins
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm very sorry I did not answer the questions from the last few years... I've been out of reno mode for a while :) It's probably too late, but here are the replies:

@walkin_yesindeed - the vanity finish has held up just fine. However, it's not the original paint. We sanded and re-painted with new Ben Moore bathroom paint. No issues with dampness (we do run the fan for every shower, though.)

@kirkhall - I have NOT been happy with the touted un-stainable-ness of the epoxy grout on the floor. I mean, it's better than regular grout, but it didn't stay white no matter how much I cleaned it. It looks fine, since the tile is multi-toned, but it's definitely not still white. The shower grout, however, has held up extremely well.

@SparklingWater - I don't recall the demo being terribly difficult, but that may be because I knew what to expect from other parts of the house. It was tile over a dense cement.

@MrsD - I think the grout color is standard white.

@MayaEoff - Our tub is the standard 30" size.

• enduring
    6 years ago

Hi Stacey!!! Nice to see your post.

• Pj
    5 years ago

Just bought Moen fixtures ... how have they held up over the years, since you didn’t like them that much at outset! Worried!

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Nailed it!