Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

My Daughter's Master Bath Redo

allison0704
11 years ago

Hey all,

I mostly hang out in Home Decorating and Kitchens, but started clicking on Baths several times a day a few months ago when we started helping DD2 with her master bath. Total gut. It turned out fabulous, so I wanted to share.

She purchased a mid-90's home (only 1 owner that purchased during construction, but didn't upgrade anything). The basic builders bathroom was a total nightmare. 4 years later, she has her new master!

Before:

After waving our magic wand (and a lot of help from my DH):

A lot more pictures, the specs and a surprise just around the corner can be found in this link:

Here is a link that might be useful: My Daughter's Master Bath Redo

Comments (17)

• back2nd
    11 years ago

very nice!!! I thought I was the only one with a coat rack - I mean towel rack - in my bathroom!!! Love it!

• suger4630
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting! So timely for me as I am in the process of gathering ideas for a late 80's MB remodel. We too need to gut and start again replacing one sink with double (hopefully) and removing a two person jacuzzi tub that takes up way too much room and requires too much water to fill. Your style is quite similar to mine so I really enjoyed seeing the pictures and seeing what you were able to accomplish. Would you mind answering a couple of questions for me...? Does the 60"double sink work well in this space, what is the floor space between the shower and tub, and what tub was used and dimension size? Thanks!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, Back2nd. lol She loves the coat racks. May paint the one in her DS bathroom, but hasn't yet.

Pixe1, the tub name/spec is listed at the bottom of the article. She does not miss the 12" lost by replacing a 72" vanity with a 60" vanity. This one has more drawer space than 72" and both door pairs have shelves, so plenty of storage. I will measure the space between shower and tub tomorrow when I babysit. Thanks again.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

It looks terrific! Great transformation!!!

• rjr220
    11 years ago

Wow! Love this -- really great transformation!

• teapot100
    11 years ago

I happened to visit your blog earlier today and saw this lovely redo and now I see it here! Too funny! It looks so fresh and clean now. Great job!

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!

Teapot, how funny! I actually met Jane (the owner) on Gardenweb. She wanted to add my kitchen, then she asked me to start writing for Atticmag. It's fun to share our own houses and DD2's in between all the serious kitchens and decorating articles.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

I had just signed up to follow the blog too so I opened my email this morning to see all of the pictures of this great transformation. What a nice job! I love the vanity, the floor and especially the Clarissa chandy... I have one over my tub as well.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Treasure, I first saw the chandelier over your tub and showed your pictures to DD2. So thank you! Of course it went on sale after she bought it, but she did get 15% off by signing up to receive emails and got free shipping as well.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pixe1, I forgot to measure yesterday but wrote a note and will this afternoon.

Someone emailed asking about purchases. The tub was ordered through Home Depot and the vanity was ordered through Vintage Tub & Bath. Great customer service with the broken marble backsplash x3.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pixe1, there is 30" of floor from the marble shower curb to the trim on the tub edge. The shower door is 28".

The tub is the Evolution 5' x 32". It is 21.5" deep. Water depth to overflow is 18.5"

This post was edited by allison0704 on Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 16:38

• suger4630
    11 years ago

Thank you for measuring the distance for me. We had someone out yesterday to take measurements and will hopefully have a quote soon. Your daughter's bath has been an inspiration!

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

that is a beautiful bath! I love the shelves built for the tub area. It is so sweet of you and your husband to do that for your daughter!

• itltrot
    11 years ago

Love this bathroom! Very chic and glam yet inviting. Great job. Love the coat...err towel rack!

• katie111
    11 years ago

Love this bath. Only wish my master bath was that big so I could do something similar. I could use the vanity though. Are you happy with the quality of the vanity for the price? Did you order it online? Were there any problems with delivery/damage? Is it solid wood?

• allison0704
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're welcome, Pixe1. That's nice to hear!

Thank you, itltrot.

Katie, thanks! The vanity is very well made. Nice and heavy. Nothing was or is coming apart. The shelves and drawers are well made. All are soft close and no problem.

If you read the article, the counter comes attached with sinks to the vanity. But the backsplash piece is on top. You would think something wrapped in 50 sheets of foam encased in hardwood on all but one side would not break! Original was broken, replacement was broken, next one wasn't broken but was only 48" then finally the right size unbroken. It was ordered from Vintage Tile & Bath and their customer service could not have been more helpful getting the replacements sent.

It was delivered, unwrapped for me to inspect (DD2 was at work) and signed for with a note about the backsplash.

Hoped this helped.

• allison0704
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought I would add a link to DD2's (finally!) finished MBR. It flows so well with the MBath and the rest of her house.

She also found glass knobs and changed out the vanity knobs. Gives the dark spot a bit of sparkle.

Here is a link that might be useful: DD2's MBR Redo