Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2426355

Talking to contractors

User
11 years ago

Planning a gut remodel of our tiny master bath and having trouble finding the right contractor. When I ask questions like, "what is your system for waterproofing the tub/shower surround?", "do you use a vapor barrier?" I usually just get blank looks and give up after a few tries to ask the same question in different ways. I have one written estimate that has come back, but it is pretty vague on details and just says cement board.

I am not an experienced DIY-er so I don't want to assume the contractors don't know what they are doing, but it concerns me that they can't/ won't talk specifics.

The other problem I am having is that they don't give an overview of the process -- so I wind up saying things like "so, do we purchase all materials and just have them here ready for you?". And then they say, "sure, we could do it that way". And I just want to say -- what is the way you normally do it? We are first time remodelers and you do this all the time, right? A little guidance, please!

So, my question is -- do you have any advice on talking to contractors? I feel as if I am not speaking the same language, and don't know whether it's me or them! Thank you everybody.

Comments (2)