Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of installing a bathroom sink?

Posted by jfsmith812 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 9:50

Hello,

My husband and I are in the process of buying a home (circa 1927) about 5 miles south of Boston. I know that we can't get anything close to a proper estimate without having someone come in, but as we haven't closed on the house yet, we aren't in the position to do that!

That said, we're trying to budget for some approximate immediate fixes. One in particular is installing a bathroom sink on the main level. It looks like a previous owner installed a toilet in a former closet. So right now, it's basically a 1/4 bath - which is fine in France, but not for hosting guests here. :)

Since there's already a toilet, I gather that there's the capability for plumbing to be had. I just don't know what to expect in terms of adding in (?) plumbing for a sink. We'd be doing a small wall-mount model.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of installing a bathroom sink?

Anywhere from $500 to $5000 ... depending on how hard it is to run the plumbing over to the wall where you want the sink, if it's even possible.

If there is easy access from the basement to the hot water, cold water and drains - lower cost than if the water has to be brought 50 feet across the house from the kitchen.

o

By your description, it might not even be possible with the required clearances for fixtures. A toilet need a 3x5 space with no obstruction encroaching into it. The smallest possible vanity is around 18" wide. That makes the smallest possible half bath be 4'6" x 5'. 5'x5' is better. You can also do a 3' x 6' half bath if the entrance is along the long side, but it's tight. 3'x7' is better.

o

You could do a small wall mount european sink, they make them around 15"-10".

o

@Greendesigns - thank you for the number info! I was not aware of that. Luckily, we were already planning on what @sloyd mentioned - a tiny wall mount. My guess is that the "toilet closet" is about 3 x 5 or so right now. The door opens outward though, which is a bonus.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here