Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie530

Please design my bathroom

maggie530
10 years ago

Hello all, we have a master bathroom, new construction, that I need to complete. Very long story short - we were building a home and got pregnant with twins rather unexpectedly in the middle of the process (yes we were trying but we were trying for several years, so still unexpected). As the rental we were living in didn't have an extra bedroom for them, we needed to get C.O. on our house immediately. Therefore we have some rooms that aren't quite finished.

Currently I am using a vanity that was purchased for the basement bathroom. It is not affixed to the wall and is not an option to keep in there as the sinks don't line up with the lights. Can't move or change the lights. Tub is permanently affixed. Want a light fixture over the tub. Vanity on opposite side is a piece I bought at antique market to put in my daughter's bedroom. So, the only things that stay are the tub and the wall sconces. The plan is to keep a double sink vanity on the left and a makeup vanity on the right.

Don't know if it is my lack of sleep for past six months or just tired of making house decisions, but I just can't get inspired. I will post pictures of the existing bathroom and a picture of the exterior of our house so you can see the architectural style.

Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• Skyangel23
    10 years ago

Just wanted to say congrats on your twins. SO exciting! We tried for several years before ultimately doing IVF with our daughter. You have a lot going on, but I am sure the posters here can help you create something wonderful for your master bathroom.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Yup! as soon as we can see the layout ;)

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

left side of bathroom

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Right wall of bathroom

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

central view of tub

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Exterior of house

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm sorry, both babies woke up before I could finish then it was a loooooong day! Sorry for the delay.

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your daughter, Skyangel!

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Congratulations on your daughter, Skyangel!

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Congrats on the twins. I bet they are a cute little handful. Such a pretty house and even though I can see why you want to change the bathroom what you have in there now is nice. So what do you want/need? I imagine you'd like to get a shower and a toilet or are those already in place, just not pictured? What are the dimensions of the room? Is there a door or is it wide open?
    Thanks!

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I feel like it is 10 feet wide by 12 deep. I'll try to find my tape measure though.

The entry to the left of the double sink vanity takes you to the toilet and steam shower. Everything had to be "finished" so that we could get C.O. Like I said though, the vanity isn't attached. I will try to take a picture of the steam shower. It isn't easy because it is completely enclosed due to it being a steam shower. It's white subway tile with a chair rail tile and Carrera seat and floors.

The decisions I'm trying to make - 1) vanities (open to going custom), 2) mirrors, 3) light fixture over tub, 4) blinds? curtains? 5) decorative tower of some kind/towel rack by tub, 6) seat by tub?, 7) rug? Need to make it look more finished.

This area is completely open. If you are at the tub facing down the bathroom, you are looking into my closet.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Do you want to add some color? or are you thinking neutral all the way? Yes, you do need the items you listed, but wall paint or wallpaper can quickly help a space feel finished. Or maybe you want some tile wainscoting?

You may want to start browsing at Houzz or some magazines to get some ideas of what is appealing to you. I love what you have so far.

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107 [(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107)

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

I saw this on houzz today and it reminded me a little of your tub area. I love wallpaper, but I know not everyone does. Still, it can have a big impact

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by New York Architects & Designers DeGraw & DeHaan Architects

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi wendyb, definitely looked at magazines and houzz to get as far as I did with the design. Would like to add color. I guess I'm looking for a specific suggestion. Like "check out bathlady's bathroom, she used x mirror and y fabric, etc."

Thanks!

• maggie530
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Lotteryticket, you are right. That does look a lot like my bathroom. I love the wallpaper, but I'd like to find something maybe a little less traditional. It's interesting that they have no blinds or window treatments but that's how I've been leaning. Due to the trees in the back, you can't really see inside.

We have shadow box wainscoting in other areas of the house and debated putting it in bathroom. One reason we didn't was because vanities were white and windows were low. Still open to the idea though.

• itltrot
    10 years ago

You've got an amazing start already on the bathroom! What kind of vanity do you like? Open/closed/mixed like there currently. Do you have a linen closet? Do you need storage? Do you have a hamper in the room?

Do you plan to keep the make up vanity that you have or do you want to replace it?

We are in the midst of our bathroom gut job and I'm not a fan of open vanities (seems like more to clean/dust). We are having a vanity built that will have some drawer space, some cabinet space and a pull-out hamper in the middle of the 2 sinks. Similar to this

I will also have a separate make up vanity area. I'm looking to glam it up (I really don't like that phrase but it is what it is). I would love to have some pretty mosaics behind the mirror like this one.

Or maybe some fancy woodwork framing the mirrors

This shows a sink vanity and make up vanity but I am using the sink area as my inspiration piece for my new make up vanity.

Tell us more of what you like/don't like and need/don't need so maybe we can help point you in a direction.

Congrats on the babies!