Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolbeansw

vanity drawers under sinks

coolbeansw
14 years ago

When we redid our kitchen, I wanted drawers for pots and pans under my cooktop, which had a telescoping downdraft vent behind it. My cabinet maker shortened the drawers to accommodate the downdraft apparatus. A perfect solution. Now I'm wanting to apply the same principle to my MB vanity. I'm envisioning a floating vanity with two sinks and would like to have all drawers, no doors. The drawers between the sinks could be full-depth; those under the sinks would need to be shortened to accommodate the plumbing. I've met with one cabinetmaker so far, and he's expressing skepticism that this is feasible. What do you all think?

Comments (5)

• galleyette
    14 years ago

I'd never considered this as an option, but it seems like a fantastic idea! How deep would the shallow drawers actually be? Just enough for combs and hairbrushes?

We have two floating vanities. While they do open up the space visually (and provide a great place to store the bathroom scale!), they do also have very limited storage capacity. We have drawers on each side and a cupboard underneath, with a single sink in the middle. Amid all the sink plumbing, that's where we store tall shampoo bottles and cleaning supplies - stuff that could always find another home.

It may not be a popular option simply because it rules out stock bathroom vanities and means going custom.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Hmmm. I've made many a "U" shaped drawer to fit around sink plumbing while maximizing storage.

I make all my drawers with dovetail construction, so I just have to be careful to not lose track of which ends get pins and which get tails. Other than that, it's not difficult at all. The drawer is secure and not flimsy if he tries that as an argument.

• coolbeansw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Galleyette, the vanity will be 24" deep, so I'm guessing that the shortened drawers could be 10" from front to back and still clear the drain pipes.

Mongo, your solution would certainly work well, too, and would provide more storage than shortened drawers would. But I'm willing to give up a little storage in exchange for the streamlined look of open drawers that don't reveal the plumbing.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

If you just want a simple rectangular drawer box, then in that case it's even simpler. There's no reason that construction of a simple short drawer should cause consternation for a cabinetmaker.

I'm not trying to talk you into it but if you're trying to maximize storage I'll throw out the idea that a "U" drawer could be used, but with short slides or with slide stops. That way the draw can only be pulled out so far, halfway for example, and not expose the plumbing. But you'd still have the two legs of the "U" that you could use to tuck things away.

Though you're not interested, for conversation I'll also throw out that the drawer doesn't have to be a "U" either. I've made drawers with arced/curved backs, and ones with trapezoidal cutouts too.

• coolbeansw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Mongo. Those are good options to consider. (I gotta start thinking outside the box)