Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Recognize this grab bar?

bbstx
10 years ago

I have a single male friend (that means he doesn't have a wife who would know exactly what style she initially installed!) who has unfortunately suffered some health set-backs. When his house was built 10 - 15 years ago, he had a few grab bars installed. Now he needs additional grab bars. He has asked me to help him track down more grab bars. The picture below is what he has. I cannot find a match, nor can the young man at the hardware store. Do any of you recognize this grab bar and know where my friend can buy more?

The closest I've found is linked below. It has a stepped, square back plate and is available in chrome. Other than that, it doesn't match.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elements of Design Grab Bar

Comments (12)

• Katy60
    10 years ago

The Rohl Palladian is somewhat similar, but the plate is round rather than square. I didn't see any matches, but Faucet.com has a fairly large selection if you end up trying to find a complementary rather than matching one.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Katy.

I have done a pretty thorough search of grab bars looking for a match for him. I think he is going to have to chose between a similar backplate or a similar bar. I'm wondering which is less noticeable - the back plate not matching or the bar not matching.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Perhaps he can find some reasonable priced ones and just replace the old ones to match the new. I know not the best solution. I bought from faucet.com also

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, dd, you and I and most other folks on here, would do just that - replace all of them. This is a single man. He has a nice house that is well maintained, but he isn't overly fussy about decor. He cares, but he doesn't care that much.

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

Then maybe some of the bars with the rubber undersides will suffice - more secure to grip and no matter the looks! LOL!
    I would think as bbstx remarks, the backplate matching or not would be most noticeable.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Is this it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Grab bar with square flange

• enduring
    10 years ago

Olychick, that has got to be it!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To paraphrase Henry Higgins: By George, you've got it! I knew someone in the Garden Web community would find it! My eyes nearly crossed looking for it for the past several days. Please tell me how you searched for it. I need to learn your techniques.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sent the link to my friend and he has already ordered them!
    Thanks again, olychick!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Yay! Well, I think I googled "chrome grab bar with square flange" or maybe "stepped" was in there, too. Then I went to image search and just scrolled thru pictures, which I find easier than opening a bunch of websites. It was quite far down and kind of a small pic, with many things that didn't match my search criteria showing up before it. Funny, because Amazon usually hogs all the first hits on stuff like this.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My search term was nearly the same, iirc. And, like you, I searched images. I guess I gave up before you did! Glad you have greater stick-to-it-ivness! And my friend really thanks you. He doesn't have to settle for "close."

I love this community!

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I'm impressed too! Yeah, sometimes I forget that actually scrolling through images is a great alternative!

I'm also impressed with that price! $12.99 from one of the sellers! So good it's hard to believe that it's actually a grab bar...that's less expensive than any towel bar I've seen, and it's really pretty!