Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tricky 34" Wide Stall Shower Remodel

Posted by hunterdonnj (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 9:25

Hello. I have a plastic shower insert (blue) in a 34" wide alcove in my bathroom that has seen better days. I have begun to research replacing it, and am finding that the vast majority of options are 36' square. I've looked at Swanstone subway tile walls (what I wanted), various shower bases, and even a new fresh white plastic-y shower insert from home depot.

I have found one option which is a 34" square acrylic base from ProFlo via Ferguson for $475 that can be tiled around. I had hoped to avoid tiling.

Has anyone worked with such a small space and come up with another solution? Is there any kind of tiling that is impervious to mold and easy to keep clean?

Thank you for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tricky 34" Wide Stall Shower Remodel

I had a 36 x 36 cultured marble shower that I removed because it was leaking due to poor fabrication and poor framing behind it. CM is only as good as the local shop. This was builder grade and very poor.

I thought I was going to have to go with a tile shower pan because I did not want to move the drain because it is in concrete. When I took out the cm base, I found that the 12 x 12 box around the drain had not been filled in with concrete. I was so happy because I can use some pvc ingenuity and move the drain over. I am limited by the window over the tub on one side and the bedroom on the other side, so the only way I can go is outward. So I am looking at a 36 across and 48 deep acrylic pan from Royal Baths in Houston, TX. I plan on tiling the walls.

But even with this, my new shower is going to be very narrow. My thoughts are to create a long shelf waist to shoulder high along one long wall to give extra elbow room. I am thinking about installing a shower head on that wall and a handshower on a bar on the opposite wall to where I can use it as both a handshower and a body spray. I really don't like not having enough room to step back from the shower head in order to rinse off my lower body.

Ferguson's Pro Flo acrylic shower and tubs are made by Clarke. The Clarke acrylic, I think, is much nicer than Kohler.

The newest approach in tiling is to paint on a topical moisture barrier on top of the cement board then tile on top of that. Water does not get to the cbu. The only thing that gets wet is the grout and thinset. So there is less to dry out and showers dry out faster. If you use epoxy grout, it will dry out even faster.

Maintenance involves squeegeeing the walls and wiping the silicone grout line in the corners and between the tile wall and the acrylic shower pan. And wiping off the fixtures to avoid water spots. And have a good exhaust fan.

If you decide to tile, search for Hydroban, Redguard, Aquadefense.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 20:08

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here