Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colleeninmhd

Please, need help renovating 1925 bathroom (main BR for 4)

ronniepuddle
10 years ago

Dear fellow Garden Web Friends,
I need help and suggestions for my BR renovation. Specifically, I need help with tiles. I want a basket weave mosaic for the floor. I love Celeste blue for the dots. But Alas, the stone options are out of our price range. I am currently looking at porcelain options with grey dots. If I go that route, can any of you please suggest tiles for the wall over the original tub? My husband does not want glass and thinks that White will be too plain. I had my heart set on a ceramic hand made field tile in light periwinkle blue one from Complete Tile, but very pricey. I like some variations. I am not opposed to a 2x4 size for the wall. I loved ann sacks Celeste blue. But if we go with a grey dot in the floor, what would go with it? Should I just do a white on white basket weave on the floor? Do any of you know of a tile dealer that has a large selection of porcelain mosaics? Thank you for all your time!

Comments (20)

• hunzi
    10 years ago

I can't help you with your tile questions, but welcome to my world. I also have a 1925 bathroom on the bedroom level shared currently by four people - it's just not the one I'm currently working on - it's the next project!

However, judging from your photo, it looks like someone has updated the bathroom at least once since 1925 and you aren't working with original fixtures?

Are you trying to go back to a 1925 look? Is this a forever house or is there a possibility of a resale?

If there's a chance you'll sell, I'd advise sticking to classics in the permanent stuff - and get your color fix with paint and accessories.

If you aren't restoration/respect the house types, then I guess anything goes.

I'm a pretty rabid restorationist, old house chick, so my advise is worth what you paid for it!

Good luck!
    Always ;-)
    Hunzi

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

If you are interested in a restoration, Anna_in_TX posted the link below in another thread which has some great examples of bathrooms from the 1920's. Some are a lot bolder in color choices than I would have expected, although probably reserved for the wealthy. Many of them could be more or less duplicated today. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1920's bathrooms

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 11:50

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

basketweave tile search on gardenweb

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb search on basket weave tile

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Square tile and small hexagon tile tend to be period specific for 1920's.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1920's bathroom guide

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 13:27

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

You can do a lot with basic field tile accented by colored edge, pencil and cove tile for the walls. It would be traditional to do square tile on the floor with a border around the room. But most folks today really like the oct or hex for the floor.

Below is a thread that you may find useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb hex tile floor

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 22:11

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Take a look at these bathrooms. The subway is not truly period of 1920's and the accent is contemporary, but it is a nice version.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 18:01

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Another great thread from this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb Historical Accuracy thread

• ronniepuddle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the resources and great ideas. I will lean toward hexagon tiles now. Yes, the sink is newish and the floor tiles are newer. But the tiles over the tub and the tub is original. We have rejuvenation. Light fixtures ordered and on the way and we are having a cabinet made for the vanity. With all four of us in there, we need more storage. Thank you!

• ronniepuddle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What do you all think of these choices? I may do a crackle in the wall 2x4 tiles. I do not feel I have to be completely period appropriate. I just happen to like basket weave. Now to convince my husband.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

I vote for the basketweave to go with the crackle wall tile.

I think back accent tile on the wall would be great. Not pencil trim, but larger pieces such as cove (baseboard) and bullnose at the top of the wainscoting.. Pencil trim came later. I love the black and white scheme in the link below. I love the arch around the mirror in that ad. I think that really makes it look like a 20's bathroom. If you could copy an arch that is somewhere else in the house that would even be better.

In the ad, the little sink on the right side is for when the whole family shared the bath and members could brush their teeth and do small tasks.

I know this remodel is going to be stressful for you since it is probably your only bath. Hang in there. I can't wait to see it when it is finished. Take lots of pictures for us along the way. What fixtures have you chosen?

Here is a link that might be useful: 1924 Crane B&W Bathroom

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 13:04

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

The basket weave is super. All white for the wall is nice, but I agree with Anna - if you do black tile baseboard and black trim on the top, it would look awesome. But I think that 1924 Crane black & white bathroom looks awesome, too! :) Keep tub, sink & toilet white. For faucets, chrome.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

If you study the historical ads, you will see a lot of built in niches and shelving in the walls. I think folks aren't aware of this when they install pedestal and console sinks. Even in this Crane B&W ad, notice the tiled wall niche between the mirror and the sink.

• jrueter
    10 years ago

I love your choices, and second the idea of adding some black trim in the white. I think that it would be amazing.

Are you thinking of crackle tile in the shower? If so, double-check if that is ok. I a have crackle finish backsplash in my kitchen and the manufacturer recommended sealing the tile to prevent any stains from food splashes seeping in through the cracks. That makes me think that it might not be a great option for a wet installation like a shower. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I am can chime in.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Yes, back when Bill Vincent was here he seemed to be pretty set against using any crackle tile in a wet area.

• ronniepuddle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Casey, Love it!!! Your faucets look like the grohe ones I picked out. What are they? Love love love it!!!! Colleen aka Ronnie Puddle.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Hey, thanks; my faucets were all from "Elements of Style".
    Took lots of searching to find X-handles with a period looking shape. They have held up very nicely. Plain chrome, BTW.
    Casey

• ronniepuddle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THESE WERE INSTALLED TODAY. (Sorry about the caps) Should I grout my basket weave in a dark color? Can you recommend a Home Depot grout color? Also, these mosaics were installed today. Can I clean them this weekend and seal them myself BEFORE the installer grouts them on Monday? Any recommendations on sealers for marble? Thanks.

• Adrienne Lewis
    6 years ago

Good choice. This is similar to the original bathroom floor tile in my 1925 home.

• cpartist
    6 years ago

Why are you commenting on a 3 year old thread?