Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novicerenovator_gw

10-Inch Rough-In

NoviceRenovator
10 years ago

Hi All, I'm in the middle of a gut renovation (prior to which I'd rarely even replaced a light bulb!), so that will give you an idea of how stressed out I am right now! On the bright side, I have a terrific GC and designer, so that's 95% of the battle. They recently told me that, in a bathroom that's only 4 feet wide, they didn't get any additional space after opening up the wall, so we can't do better than the 10-inch rough-in that's currently in place. My design is extremely modern and minimal and sleek - and that's the problem. When they thought we'd be able to use a 12-inch rough toilet, they had chosen the Duravit Starck 3, which worked from a style perspective, although I've always been concerned that the need to limit the footprint of the toilet is more important than style, but I'm trying to achieve both.

So far, I've searched the internet, including this forum, for some options, so I'm aware of the Toto 10-inch Aquia as well as the Toto 12-inch options that use the Toto Unifit (enabling you to use certain Toto 12-inch models in a 10-inch rough-in, including the Legato, Carlyle, Aimes). Unfortunately, the length of all of them are between 27 1/2 and 28 1/2 - and that leaves very little knee room.

I'm trying to find a toilet with the following:
1. length under 26 1/2 and even shorter would be best (24 or 25 would be ideal, as a few inches makes a huge difference in this small bathroom)
2. a skirt on the side (yes, I'm still trying to be "clean" and minimal and stylish, so I won't use a toilet that doesn't conceal the piping - and that pretty much eliminates all Kohler and American Standard products)
3. Although I would prefer an elongated model, I'm very willing to go with a round toilet (so long as it's under 26 1/2 and has a side skirt)
4. I'm seeing some shorter European models but even the short ones still use a 12-in rough

Not too much to ask, right!!!

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (16)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

We just installed the Toto Vespin 11. Ours is the elongated model, but I do believe it comes in round too. It is skirted, very simple clean lines. It has the Uni-fit option to adapt to the 10 inch rough in.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Sorry, I checked and the Vespin only comes in elongated as far as I can tell.

• User
    10 years ago

Wall mount requires a thicker wall for the tank in the wall. It doesn't help with the overall clearances by the time you do that.

If 48'' is the depth of this space, I don't see any toilet that will fit and give you the code required clearances. You need 24'' in front of it to the nearest obstacle. If it's the width, then you can just squeak it in for that dimension,but the rough in has nothing to do with the side to side clearance, so I'm confused about the whole issue.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

I'd try posting over on the Terry Love forum. If there is such a toilet, they will know!

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

In wall carriers actually do Not require a thicker wall than that required for regular plumbing, assuming you have a clear space of about 20" wide directly behind the toilet, inside the wall.

Gerberit makes several in-wall carriers that fit in conventional 2X4 framing, which is less than is generally left for plumbing walls, and carriers for 2x6 framing.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Here is the Geberit link

Here is a link that might be useful: Geberit

• NoviceRenovator
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! Many thanks to all for your responses. Unfortunately, there is piping in the wall in back of the toilet that won't allow for a wall-mounted toilet (which would have been the perfect solution). I just posted at Terry Love (thanks for the suggestion!) and someone referred me to Nameeks - and I'm exploring that possibility (it's expensive and also would require a 36" tall tank - but with a round toilet, I'd end up with a 23 1/2" total depth, which would be great). Not sure that Nameeks will work, so if you have any other thoughts, please chime in! (And I'll let you know if I find anything else out from the Terry Love site). Many thanks.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

There is an American Standard Colony model called FitRight with a 10" rough-in that is 24-1/2" long.

It is a very basic toilet and no great beauty, but it would give you 23-1/2" of front clearance, which is over the 21" minimum for IRC.

I currently have a bathroom with 16-1/2" front clearance, which is useable but very tight. (This bath will be demo'd).

• homepro01
    10 years ago

My wall mount toilet is planned for a 2x4 wall but the Gerberit carrier.

• lee676
    10 years ago

The AS Colony is the smallest w/10" rough-in I know of, even the elongated version are quite short. Their Cadet 3 and Cadet Pro are only slightly longer and probably work better.

• wendyburesh
    9 years ago

Is there any way to make a toilet with a 12" rough-in work for a 10" rough-in space? The house is over 85 years old, and the half bath really needs a low profile toilet, but I've found exactly zero low profile 10" rough-in toilets.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Here's one. 10" rough-in is optional. Only 25-9/16" tall, despite being "comfort height".

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto Carolina II

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I need a 10" rough in toilet also and I bought the Aquia because of its contemporary look. I was very wary of using the Toto Unifit because I read that sometimes they can drip.

• homepro01
    9 years ago

Jerzeegirl,
    I am not sure how you would install the toto aquia without the unifit adapter. I have three toto toilets and they have never leaked. They are simple to install, I did all the installs myself. Following the instructions and purchase a good wax ring.

Good luck!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

homepro: The Aquia doesn't need the Unifit adapter since it is already 10" rough in.