Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insulating Cast Iron Tub

Posted by kercove (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 20, 12 at 8:39

Good morning,

I'm in the midst of renovating my only bathroom, and my plumbers are at the house today. I've read numerous things about insulating a cast iron tub on this forum, but no specific details about what to use. The plumber said they don't typically insulate cast iron, but will use whatever I'd like.

Can anybody help me out? Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insulating Cast Iron Tub

No, you've probably read about insulating acrylic tubs. Cast iron has enough thermal mass that when you get it hot from the water, it stays hot for a good long time. Your plumbers are correct.

o

There were a few posts about insulating cast iron, but I never understood why you would do it. The info posted by Greendesigns & your plumbers are correct. The built-in insulating factor is the only real selling point for cast iron vs. steel or even 'cast' or acrylic when it comes to tubs IMO.

o

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I guess it's one less thing I need to think about now. The 65-year-old cast iron tub we removed wasn't insulated, so I'm sure this one will work the same way.

Thanks!

o

We insulated around our new cast iron tubs just as an added measure. Our plumber said we didn't need any either, but others here had added some to theirs so we decided to as well. No harm in adding it. DH just used home craft-faced insulation--stuffed it around the tub as best he could while walls were open and the bathrooms were still down to the studs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here