Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smilesesq

Toilet for a small orthodontic office

smiles33
11 years ago

Hello wise gardenwebbers!

I know most of you (if not all?) are focused on residential renovations but I thought I'd try to get your advice anyway. DH is doing a "light" renovation of his small orthodontic office. There is one bathroom set aside for patients (mostly kids, but I'm sure parents and adult patients use it, too).

The toilet is 30+ years old and a weird peach color. Seriously. I know the only thing he has specified is that it be less likely to clog (that's their biggest issue now and his poor staff have to deal with it since he's always with patients).

Budget is an issue, but he's willing to spend for a good value that we hope will last 10+ years. I'm guessing we don't need a true commercial toilet (like the upscale Toto ones that cost $600+). DH has no idea how many people use it on a daily basis (20? 50?). We do know that the current toilet is a regular residential model and likely a huge water hog.

We are in CA, so I'm not sure if the laws require us to use 1.28 GPF and ADA height now. Still trying to figure that part out. ADA height will be harder for little kids to use, but his youngest kids should still be 7 or 8 (though younger siblings may also be using the restroom as they wait).

Right now, I'm debating between a Toto Drake II (I know many of you love this model, but it seems like there are some real complaints about it, too, and not a guarantee of living clog-free) and the cheaper American Standard Champion 4 (or maybe Cadet 3). The advantage to the AS models is that the big box stores here carry them. I'd have to get a Toto shipped to me and then I worry about whether we can service it as I doubt anyone here has a Toto. That also worries me when it comes to repairs/parts.

Any and all advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)