Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dms1973_gw

I actually want a noisy bathroom fan

dms1973
10 years ago

I am adding bathroom fans to the house I recently moved into. I've used the Panasonic whisperline before and liked them, but I actually would like to have a fan with a little noise so as to be able to create some privacy for the person using the bathroom. I don't want a fan that sounds noisy, clunky and not well made, but I'm thinking something that puts off a good bit of "white noise". Does anyone have any suggestions for a fan that is a little noisy? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

I've heard people say this before, but as a guest, it would never occur to me to turn on the fan BEFORE I'm finished! So, you may go to all this trouble, and have it be a feature that is not really utilized! LOL

Could you address this issue with a radio? If you really want a noisy fan, I guess you could just look for one with a higher Sones rating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sones- sound level of fans

• LePetomane
    10 years ago

The major hardware places like Lowes all have display fans that you can turn on to check out all the features, including the fan. My mother-in-law uses the radio trick- when the light comes on, so does the radio. It is annoying if you want to turn the bathroom light on in the middle of the night, though.

• mdln
    10 years ago

While not environmentally friendly, you can always run water to hide bathroom noises.

I also like a noisy fan, it helps remind me to shut it off; the next one will be on a timer.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Our bathroom fans operate on a motion sensor. They turn on when someone walks in the room. No suggestions on which fan other than perhaps a lower end of a good brand may be more noisy than the top end.

• A A
    3 years ago

I also had this problem, and surprisingly found a solution which saved me some money!

I looked for a stronger fan (e.g., 90 CFM or higher instead of 50 or 70 CFM) which are usually more noisy because of higher air transmission.

More importantly, I checked the sound level in the specifications. I looked for higher ranges (i.e., 2, 3 or even higher "sones"), which are also cheaper.

I hope that helps.

• louis925
    3 years ago

Those vibration and low frequency noise from bathroom fans really drive me crazy. How can Americans live with these kinds of noise...?

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

Be sure to wear a seat belt when using the toilet.

• Helen
    3 years ago

What about just getting a better door? When I remodeled I got rid of the cheap hollow core original doors and got solid doors - much quieter.

My bathrooms have the Panasonic Whisper fans on motion detectors.

I have never thought of this as being a problem in any bathroom I have visited. What do people do when they have to urinate in a public bathroom if they have such delicate sensibilities? I assume at this point everyone has a smart phone and they could use it to turn on music or a podcast if they truly need to feel a aural disguise of some kind is necessary.

• Mark Mascillino
    2 years ago

OMG finally someone that thinks along the same lines as me. The noisy exaust fan is a must for my house, especially for my guests. What guest wants to use the bathroom and have people listen while you go number 2 how totally embarrassing.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago
  • Jj J
    2 years ago

Though not quite as funny as the thread about that expanding foam insulation stuff getting stuck on peoples’ hands, this post provided a few chuckles. I know someone for whom the music from Close Encounters fits the bill. And he could even play first chair (throne?) in the tuba section.