Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

$1200 corian countertop?

southofsa
10 years ago

I research things a lot before I purchase so I usually don't experience sticker shock- I have an idea what to expect going in. So when I managed to pick out the most expensive corian color, witch hazel, I figured it was going to be pricey. But $1200 for a 19" x 50" bathroom vanity top with sink and vanity provided? Wow. They're really proud of that color I guess.

BTW I live in the San Antonio area- not exactly a high dollar part of the country.

And no- I won't be getting it. Way out of my budget :-)

Lisa

Comments (14)

• jewelisfabulous
    10 years ago

That is crazy!!

• naughtykitty
    10 years ago

I am going to get a Corian vanity/sink and was told it is going to be $1400. I was told this is a good price. Who knows, but it wil be beautiful (it better be!)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Around here (a pricey part of the country) I don't think that would be so high. I paid $765 for one vanity top (about the same size as yours) using my own Ceasarstone remnant, and almost $1200 for a slightly larger one using a Ceasarstone remnant I got from the fabricator.

• suero
    10 years ago

Try the Corian price estimator

Here is a link that might be useful: Corian price estimator

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Several months ago I fabricated and installed a 9' long solid surface double bowl vanity with standard edge and 4" high cove backsplash for $2,400.00, plumbing included. The customers were delighted.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well sounds like I was a little uninformed going in. I went to a place this morning for another project but they also had Corian on display. The guy explained how they price the jobs they did and why they had to do it that way.
    Their price was probably In the same ballpark. I'd used solid surface and granite in other areas of the house. I'm pretty sure a whole granite slab I bought was less than that. Oh well.

The wheels are already turning and I have another idea. I'm probably on plan D by now :-). I swear I'd rather do 100 kitchen remodels before I'd do another bathroom. Definitely first world problems :-)

Lisa

• User
    10 years ago

$82 a sf is about the going rate here, plus $450 for the sink and mounting. I get $1188, which isnt far off from your quote. That would be average for Corian or quartz. A group A granite would be half that.

• amberm145_gw
    10 years ago

"$82 a sf is about the going rate here, plus $450 for the sink and mounting. I get $1188, which isnt far off from your quote. That would be average for Corian or quartz. A group A granite would be half that."

$450 for the sink? Wow! $82 is typical. But I was talking to a quartz manufacturer the other day who quoted $75 per sink for the bathroom. I was shocked at that, since when we did our kitchen, they didn't separate out the cost of drilling a hole for the sink.

However, I'm finding pricing for the bathroom to be quite high compared to the kitchen. Reason being that you need such small pieces. You're looking at less than 7sq'. Slabs average about 50sq'. So, if the fabricator needs to buy 50sq' of material and only sell you 7, he's got to increase his price to cover the risk that he's going to be stuck with the extra material.

If you can find someone who deals with remnants, you might have more luck. I haven't found someone like that in my city. A quartz wholesaler I visited the other day gave me the number of a guy that specializes in vanities. I haven't called him yet, but I'm hoping that because he specializes in smaller pieces, he isn't going to have to charge me more for smaller pieces.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Looking at it from a contractor's perspective, vanities suck.

It takes the almost the same amount of drive time, tools, and talent to install a 5' vanity as a 60SF kitchen, but the fussiness level of the customer remains the same.

It's all the risk and none of the money.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

My bathroom sink cutouts were $175 each. Kitchen was $300 for the sink and cooktop (together).

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Can you undermount a sink with Corian? I just used the Estimator and for the sink part, that's just the cutout, not an integrated sink?

• Terri_PacNW
    10 years ago

I have Corian in my kitchen with an undermount integrated sink..looks and feels like they were made together.

• User
    10 years ago

$450 is doing an integrated Corian sink, with the sink itself included. The integrated sink is the #1 reason people pick solid surface for a bathroom. Just a plain cutout for a drop in is usually around $100, and then you have to buy the sink. $250 would cover udermounting a sink, (polishing the edge,etc.) but not include the sink. And that is for one sink. Double it for a double vanity.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

Undermounting a Corian sink takes less time than doing a cutout. After positioning on the back of the sheet, the bowl is adhered, and after curing the top is flipped. A hole is drilled into the top inside the sink area and the bearing on a flush cut bit rides on the inside of the bowl until the bowl is exposed. The edge is profiled with a different bit then sanded to finish.

A Corian sink cutout, even for a drop in bowl, must be located, cut (preferably with a clamped jig), profiled with a 1/16" bit top and bottom, then sanded until all tool marks are removed.

Corian vanity bowls cost the fabricator about $125.00.