Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of a 'from scratch' bathroom...

Posted by srjohnt (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 1, 12 at 7:03

We are about 3/4 finished with an added bathroom. After living in our 180 year old home for all our married life (44 years) with only one bathroom, we're finally adding another. It is about 12' x 5.5' and is the end of an upstairs wide hallway. Lots of subway tile, custom mud job shower pan, frameless glass door, nice fixtures and a custom cabinet in one corner. Some of the demo and construction was diy, but all the custom work and tile was from a contractor. It looks like it's going to be around 22 -23K, which was more than we budgeted, but from what I've read, it may not be too bad. Just seems like a lot of money.

My question is, does this seem in line for a complete bathroom addition?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of a 'from scratch' bathroom...

That sounds like not a bad price.

o

For reworking existing an existing space, it sounds as though you are in a low cost labor market. For an addition, it's absurdly low and I would be questioning the quality of the work and the eligibility status of the workers.

o

That's a great deal.

o

This is not an addition to the footprint of the house, but reworking an existing space. As I stated, some is diy, and I have a helper who I pay by the hour. My contractor doing the tile and some of the plumbing has one helper. No eligibility status problems with anybody. The quality of the work is good, no shortcuts.

Apparently I should be pleased with the price, and I am, especially after your comments, which I appreciate. . A part of the difference between by original budget and final costs is some enhancements and upgrades.

Thanks again for your answers, I feel pretty good about the project now.

o

We are in the process added 325 SF (master bath and 2 closets). Looks like we are going to top $80,000. We made sure the addition suited our 75 year old home. Sounds like your number is on target (or low) for that square footage.

o

The only way that you will know if this is a good price is to do a comparison with other contractors in your area. It is really hard to say.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here