Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caulk question/issue

Posted by GATS (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 6:18

I caulked our guest bath this past weekend, where the tub and tile walls meet. I thought I used the right product, nonsanded, colored siliconized caulk by Mapei (Lowes) but now I am wondering if I used the right product at all. I've let it cure for 4 days, indicated 72 hours on the tube. I just used the tub today and not sure if cured correct or is finished curing. It almost feels really slick -- like it has not cured. It doesn't appear to be peeling off when I blot with a towel to soak up any extra water sitting where the 2 edges meet. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caulk question/issue

My caulk (Flextile) says it takes 3 to 5 days to cure. Maybe it just needs a little longer?

o

Is it just the tactile sensation that is throwing you off? Or is the caulk itself too soft and too squishy. From your description it appears it has bonded well to the neighboring surfaces.

If you still have the tube(s), see if there is a manufacturing date on the tube of caulk. Caulk generally has a shelf life of about a year.

o

The expiration date is fine.

This is the first time I have used this type of caulk and am not familiar with it. It appears as it has dried, it has shrunk a bit where the tile wall and tub meet, but the seal looks to have remained intact with no separation on either the wall or tub, which I am pleased with.

Maybe I am just over-thinking the product results. When dry it has a flat appearance and when wet is shiny and slick. It's not tacky when dry and does appear to have set.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here