Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower pan install

Posted by tylerstem (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 3:41

I began the slow process of building a shower pan. It has a wood subfloor. I got in a hurry and forgot to put down tarpaper before filling my floor mud in! Do I have to take it all up and start over? I only used about 100-140 fluid ounces of water to make all my mud. Is that enough to rot the subfloor?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower pan install

The tar paper isn't to protect the subfloor from the moisture in the mud. The paper is placed to act as a slip sheet to prevent the mud from sticking to the subfloor.

The moisture in the mud will be consumed by hydration, or the curing process of the mud. Any excess moisture will evaporate out.

What are you going to use for waterproofing on top of the mud?

o

I am using Oatey 40 mil. I always thought that a moisture barrier had to be between wood and any mixture that had water in it. Example, every time I install a laminate or floating floor on top of a concrete slab, I always put down a moisture barrier so the floor doesnt absorb the water out of the concrete.

o

A moisture barrier over a slab-on-grade is a different thing. Because the slab is on earth, the slab will always allow moisture to go through it. Moisture will move from the more moist area (the earth under the slab) to the drier area (inside your house).

The barrier you put on top of your slab prevents moisture from the earth from continually coming though the slab and causing your floor boards to warp/buckle, etc. The earth under your slab will never "run out" of moisture.

With your deck mud mix over a plywood subfloor, there is no continual source of moisture. There's only the water you added to the deck mud. Once that moisture has been consumed via hydration or evaporated away, that's it. It's dry. The deck mud preslope will be dry. Your subfloor will be dry.

Your Oatey membrane will keep the deck mud preslope, as well as your wood subfloor, isolated from the wet shower.

o

Well, when you say it like that.......it makes sense!! Lol. Thanks! I feel 1000% better! Tomorrow I start the rest of the shower pan. Thank again!

o

No worries. Good luck with it!

o

No worries. Good luck with it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here