Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

towel bar height / wainscotting question

foodonastump
11 years ago

The length of my planned medicine cabinet would have me mount it such that the bottom is lower than the standard 4' height of tile wainscotting. This has me thinking I should lower the height of the wainscotting to around 40" give or take. The planned tile is subway tile with chair rail cap. (Back of the sink comes to about 35.5", so this would mean roughly one course plus chair rail above the sink.) This has me questioning the height of the towel bars. As I see it, I have three options:

1) Raise the height of the wainscotting and choose a shorter medicine cabinet. But one of the main reasons I want a longer one is so that my young kids can see themselves.

2) Raise the height of the wainscotting and let it run into the sides of the medicine cabinet. (Obviously I'd have to check clearances to make sure the chair rail doesn't interfere with the mirror.) I'm wondering if that would look awkward.

3) Mount the towel bar(s) above the wainscotting. Again, wondering if that would look awkward, or be awkward to hang a towel since the chair rail would be sticking out just a couple/few inches lower than the towel bar.

Thoughts/advice?

Comments (5)