Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgoldfield

Soaking tub and shower combination possible?

sgoldfield
16 years ago

Hi, building a new house, only the main bathroom upstairs has room for a bathtub, but it also needs to double as a shower for more regular use. But I hate to give up the idea of a nicer soaking tub in the house. Has anyone seen or had experience with installing a soaking type size bathtub but in a more typical shower/tub combination with the faucets on the wall etc.? Any models you would recommend? Would we have to give up the shower doors and go with a shower curtain?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• robaudio
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am currently remodeling our master bath. We are installing a BainUltra Thalassa air tub into a tiled alcove with the faucets in the wall and a shower curtain. I suggest you go to their web site www.bainultra.com. They have dozens of models for every conceivable application. The tub I selected is 72x 33. We chose not to install a separate stall shower, rather have some storage space and less to keep clean. Good luck.

• onztown
    16 years ago

Try to remember that most soaking tubs are deeper than standard tubs and getting in and out of a soaker tub just for a shower is a little more difficult. The most important thing I can tell you is if you are going to put your faucetry on the wall, the tub has to have a smooth straight edge. The tubs with any sort of lip or curviture will prevent you from having a sealed surface for the water to fall from the wall back into the tub, thus you would have water that would gather around the ledge. I agree with robaudio about the bain ultra tubs. Great manufacturer with many different options.

• User
    16 years ago

I am doing the same thing but haven't actually gotten to the point where I need to look for a specific tub. The tub needs to have an integral tile flange to allow it to be used for a shower application. It is a lip that prevents the water from pooling on a flat surface. If the tub does not have the tile flange, it should not be used for more than occasional showering, like in a guest bath.

I know the Kohler tea for two is pretty deep and also has an optional tile flange too. But it is cast iron. I am not sure what you are looking for. The Bain tubs had a lot of choices too but I can't remember a specific one.
    Good luck with your search.

• toadangel
    16 years ago

maax has some with the integral flange. i didn't go that route, but they are available. a couple things i considered when i was debating going that route - make sure the drain is on an end, not in the middle; and make sure at least the drain end of the tub is fairly vertical & square so you can get close to the shower spray. at least for me, i think i'd be stumbling and stubbing my toe trying to get close under the shower if i had a very curved tub end.

lisa

• MyDogBurt
    13 years ago

Another very, very simple (and elegant) was to make a soaking tub/standing shower combo is to install either a fee standing tub (such as a claw foot tub) or a drop in tub (oval or rectangular) and then... hang a 360 degree oval shower curtain that you can raise and lower by pulling on a chord, just like a window blind. Problem solved.

• norfy
    12 years ago

MyDogBurt - thanks for the ideas. I too arrived at the circular shower curtain over freestanding tub idea as the best solution. Only thing is I wonder is if it's annoying to shower in a tub with a circular curtain (ie, more prone to touch the curtain sides). Any thoughts?

• Amanda Ansel
    8 years ago

I see this is a very old post but it's one of the few things that came up during my recent searches on this subject so I thought I'd share the solution I came up with.

In remodeling my tiny master bathroom I was desperately wanting to install a tub in what used to be a shower stall. My available space was 54 inches so standard tubs were not an option. I did find the Kohler Greek style drop tub (48 inches long by 24 deep) to fit but I still wanted the space to be a functional shower.

My tile company insisted my tile could handle daily shower usage despite the right angles around 3 sides of the tub that would clearly collect water. I wanted the tub so badly that I decided worst case scenario I would shower in our other bathroom. I went ahead and installed the tub without really being confident the tile would be ok long term.

I found the perfect sized 360 degree shower curtain rod for the unsweet price of $230 but high price aside .... it would A) need to be drilled into my brand new ceiling tiles and B) I imagined a wet curtain possibly touching me on all sides making me feel completely claustrophobic...

While discussing my not great options my friend suggested simply hanging a second pressure mounted rod along the back side of my shower. This keeps my spa style candles, decor and window water spot free while keeping another huge wall of tile... Dry. We cut the back curtain shorter so it would not hang deep into the tub and we keep it elegantly tied out of the way when no one is showering.

I love it!! My two remaining short sided walls don't seem to collect ANY water and my Zen stuffs in the window sit clean and untouched! I LOVE the soft glow of natural light that comes in through the shower curtain and shimmers off all the pretty stone tiles too!

Sorry these pics are showing up sideways... Lol but I don't know how to fix them from my phone. This last one is posting upside down but it is looking up from the tub...

• Ron Kay
    8 years ago

To add one more for anyone, like me, who was looking for information. Read and discuss with your installer!!!

A drop in tub will specify a stringer under the flange. As well as the tub being set level, the flange stringer needs to be level "and" account for any manufacturers variance "and" slope toward the tub, not the wall. My flange was specified as non weight bearing so there is a little flex. On my tub the manufacturers variance is +/- 1/4" AND, what killed me, is the flange wasn't set so water on the flange flows INTO the tub. To do this means level the length of the tub and working with a small line level that will fit on the flange and the patience to shim the flange so there is a 1/8 bubble or so that will cause water will flow into the tub.

Too late for me, the flange slopes away from the tub to the wall, then toward the head where there is 4" of tile, over the tile edging, and onto the floor. So not level, and no slope into the tub.

Enough water to soak a towel on the floor in less than 2 minutes. Any water on the foot end pools under the shower head and has to be mopped up later. I caught this after the waterproofing, floor and face tile was installed. Soon I'll have a very nice Corian surround with a shelf and two grab bars. All that will be now need to be covered by a 360 degree shower curtain. Or else put a rod on the back wall and do nothing about the water on the shower head end.

Not a happy camper.

• johnn
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We just did the following shower/soaking combo using a Kohler Mariposa 60x36" alcove bath with intergal apron and tile flange. Overall I like it a lot, and it packs a lot of tub in a small space while still being practical, but I was surprised how much water collects on the "deck".

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/3271982/bathroom-finished

• Ron Kay
    8 years ago

After even more reading, bottom line is soak tub isn't made to be used as a bath/shower combo. Some interesting work arounds, but that's what they are. I've learned the flange can't be set to drain into the tub.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County