Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluebonnetgirlk5

Has anyone ever owned a Mauicast bathtub by Bootz?

BluebonnetGirlK5
11 years ago

Hi - I'm about to begin a bathroom remodel. I need an alcove tub that will fit into a 30 X 60 inch space and I would like a tub that is deeper than the standard 14 inches offered by american standard and others. I have had difficulty finding tubs that are this depth that are not acrylic. Does anyone know of a castiron or castiron-like alternative that fits this description? I've found that Bootz makes a tub called Mauicast that is deeper and 60X30 = has anyone ever owned one of these tubs? Thanks!!

Comments (14)

• BluebonnetGirlK5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate your advice and the related thread. Looking at modern bathtubs that are 60 X 30 makes me wish I hadn't already removed my old cast iron tub. No good choices!

• akcorcoran
    11 years ago

Ditto for what mydreamhome said - we looked at the Bootz for my daughters' bathroom and the gritty bottom was a serious bummer. The girls would NOT want to sit on that and they still do take baths. We scrimped out another 2" wider so we could go with the American Standard Cambridge tub.

I used the information in this blog post as my guide - we wanted something deeper to soak in as my younger daughter takes l-o-o-n-g baths and these were some great suggestions. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sensational Small Soaking Tubs

• BluebonnetGirlK5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both so much for your help. I keep hoping if I stall on purchasing my bathtub another week or two that the dimensions I desire will just pop into an AS or Kohler catalogue. Fingers Crossed!!

• Jen Ross
    6 years ago

It's a little late but I'm in the exact same boat right now. There are so many choices for 32" but i cannot afford those extra inches. What did you decide on? What are your after thoughts? My current tub is cast iron but it is so shallow i hardly Get wet.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Jen, Kohler has a couple of new acrylic tubs that come 30" wide but deeper. There's a 30" version of the underscore, and at least one other one. Check their site.

The submerse is the other one I was thinking of, but it has kind of an hourglass-shaped bathing well.

• grannysmith18
    6 years ago

Check out the Toto 1515 Cast Iron tub. This tub.

Also, Mountain Plumbing has a drain I highly recommend because it has an "immerse" feature which lets you have deeper water in the tub before it goes into the overflow drain. Look it up: ABS with Flexible Overflow Neck.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

The 1515 is a very nice tub, but the depth-to-overflow is still less than 10".

In addition to the Mountain Plumbing drain, American Standard has a deep soak drain, or you can just mount a regular overflow upside down with the opening at the top.

• Jessica Zepernick
    5 years ago

We bought a Maui tub. The bottom is rough and it is rusting through the finish. It's total crap. I wish we would've kept our original sea foam green tub . It was 50 years old and looked better than this did in one year.

• Mittens Cat
    4 years ago

Wow, Jessica. Sorry for your bad experience but thank you for sharing that--I was just ready to throw in the bath towel and settle for a Bootz, but will now reverse course. I could handle the rough bottom but not the rust after one year, yikes.

• Brenda
    4 years ago

I’ve also been looking for a new tub. Looked at 3 KOHLER alcove acrylic tubs on a showroom floor. The Kohler’s are deep. Some have arm rest moldings inside the tub. At first, I thought I did not want a tub with the arm rests, but after sitting in the tubs and trying to get out.....the arm rests are almost a neccessity to pivot off of to get out of the tub. Some of the KOHLER tubs are 19 to 21 inches tall from floor to top of tub. I like the look of the KOHLER ARCHER acrylic tub, but could see that it might be difficult to get out of the tub, especially for the elderly, even though it is listed as ADA compliant. Today, I stopped at a new construction house in my neighborhood and there was a nice Bootz tub that had a good look and only about 16 to 17 inches high, with no armrests or molding ledges down inside the tub. This Bootz tub looks like a cast iron tub with a 35 degree lumbar slope at the back to lean back and relax. I sat in it with my clothes on and found it to be comfortable and easy to get in and out of. Not sure what model it is.....but on viewing the Bootz website, I think it is a Maui Plus or a Mauicast Plus Tub. Does anyone know what the difference is between the two? I did not notice any slip resistant surface or grit surface in the bottom of the tub. It all looked and felt smooth to me. I was excited to find this tub, but after reading the reviews, I am wondering if it would hold up over time? The grit and rust stains would bother me. Anyone else on this thread have experience with the Bootz Maui Plus or Bootz Mauicast Plus bathtubs?

• blueschiz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Boost has tubs for several markets and their box store tubs are no good, but the higher end tubs seem to be great. The premium tubs are not iron and will not rust, but they are porcelain coated and feel more real than acrylic. They are also insulated to keep in the heat, which I love. https://bootz.com/en/products/quick-reference/bathtubs-quick-reference-guide

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    4 years ago

Installer just put in the Maui. Hope we don’t hate it!

• HU-971499518
    3 years ago

Ahhhhh! I'm going thru this now...decided on the Maui...now I have to continue looking. I appreciate the additional links to help me work thru this process!!!