Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondie2_gw

Mortar bed & chicken wire on DensSheild wall ???

blondie2
11 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum, so I hope this is not a stupid question. We had a flood in the bathroom. The tile floor was removed. The tile on the walls in the bathtub/shower area was removed so we could match replacement tile. Our contractor put DensShield on the walls. The seams halfway down didn't line up great, so he used fiberglass tape & a sealant, then drywall compound to smooth over. That came out with a big ridge and there are waves in the wall. He wants to put paper over the DensShield, then staple chicken wire to the DensShield, and use 3/4 mortar to flatten the wall. Also, the corners didn't get the tape, but have been (mostly) sealed with 2 different kinds of sealant.

My questions: Can you attach such a mortar bed on a vertical wall to DensShield, which specifies "no mechanical attachments" then attach glass and metal and porcelain tile to it? Can the required "fiberglass tape dipped in mortar sealant" be done now, after the two other sealants have been (slopped) applied in the corners?

Comment (1)