Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sinks...self rimming and drop in...difference?

Posted by nikkidan (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 21, 12 at 1:25

Looking at bathroom sinks. Some are self-rimming, and some are drop in. Look the same to me. Whats the difference?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sinks...self rimming and drop in...difference?

The drop-in sink is also called semi-recessed because 2-3" of the sink is above the counter and 2-3" below the counter. The Kohler Serif and Yin Yang are examples of this style. Some have faucet decks and some don't.

Self-rimming just have the rim sitting on the counter, supporting the basin which is entirely below the counter.

I'm looking at drop-in sinks for a couple of built-in vanities that are too short for us but we're not going to replace them, so the drop-in sink with a faucet deck gives us several more inches in height.

Of course, both styles mean you have to clean around the sink rim, not just sweeping into the sink like you can with an undermount sink. I'm willing to do the extra work to save our backs but YMMV :) .

HTH

o
RE: Sinks...self rimming and drop in...difference?

Self-rimming and drop-in are indeed the same in terms of how they get installed. A hole gets cut in the countertop and the sink dropped in the hole from above, the raised profile edge on the sink rim creates its own rim.

To pick nits, stainless sinks have a low-profile "rim", cast-iron and ceramics have a higher profile rim. Some designers used to refer to all of these "installed from above" sinks as "drop-in", but only the ones with higher rim profiles were "self-rimming".

Today, at least in my realm of work, all drop-in sinks are referred to as "self-rimming".

Their counterpart is the undermount sink. Installed from below.

Or apron-front sinks, which are farmhouse style sinks.

Vessel sinks, some trades-folk refer to vessels as surface-mounted sinks.

But overall you are correct. "Self-rimming" and "drop-in" are essentially the same thing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here