Return to the Bathrooms Forum

o
What was your best bathroom remodeling decision?

Posted by ashlander (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 19, 07 at 0:40

We're having a difficult time making decisions for our bathroom remodel: choice of shower stall, toilet, flooring, counter, and perhaps even a fireplace. This will be the first and only remodel for our bathroom, so we hate to mess up.
Would appreciate any words of wisdom or advice.
What do you regret? What would you change? What was your best decision concerning the bathroom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What was your best bathroom remodeling decision?

The best decision I made was getting the Moen valve for the shower, very inexpensive and the plumber hated it, but we love it, adore it.

The think I would not do again is put black granite on my countertop, not that I do not love the granite but my Persian likes to lie on it and he sheds very bad and occasionally has spit-ups and it is a mess to keep clean. I never considered that he would fall in love with the black granite as I had done when I saw it, but he did, and he sure keeps it in a mess.

o

The most surprising change for me is the thermobalance shower control. I knew it would keep the shower from changing temp and pressure during a shower. For some reason I didn't realize it would warm up to the same temp every morning with no fuss.

The other thing I'm glad we did was get warm floors with a thermostatic timer.

o

Best decisions:

1)Installing a handheld showerhead on a slide bar in addition to the overhead rainshower.
2) Installing glass shelf betweeen sink and medicine cabinet
3) Splurging on marble mosaic floor tile

Regrets:

1) Not specifying caulk (instead of grout) in corners!
2) Only installing 2 (now wish I had 3) corner shelves
3) Not personally selecting beadboard for wainscot (contractor purchased low quality wood)

o

First mistake "do'nt gut it". Gut it and second, use a vapor barrier under the cement board, do'nt use greenboard. The rusted nails will tell you where the vapor barrier and cement board prefer to go, I would just put the vapor lock everywhere, use half inch boards. You can use 6 mil plastic or roofing felt as barrier under boards, stapled. I like roofing, a little better insulation sound/thermal.
Cement board is a sponge, if that bothers you do what I did, use a cement board sealer around the shower/pullman area Depot has it. I used epoxy that I get cheap, 80 dollars for 1.5 gallon. That stops moisture before the board and not after.
Next stop tub. Cast iron equals quiet and thermal insulation it memorizes heat, (not drumlike with no echoes) Kohler Villager is cheapest; I say mistake. It is 14 inches tall so beware of a too little tub. I got the Toto 1525 at Express Pipe here in southern cal, 554 dollars. the tub iron is twice as thick as Kohlers I saw also, the glaze is smoother. 2 people can install it (the ground is the third person, roll the tub in end over end or just shuffle it in) 381 pounds but not heavy as you think.
Vanity, ebay has good glass/metal ones, will not absorb odors, lifetime product, under 500 with all hardware, faucets.
The toilet must do one thing foremost, flush. try the Toto Drake and if not the Ultramax will give you much more room. Express pipe or Homeclick. There are some horrible toilets out their beware, get a commercial one, Toto G max for instance.
Porcelain is king on tile, Ceramic is ok, check the grade (1-5) Marble is ok for a bathroom floor awesome visually. I would use 1/8 grout line porcelain on shower with sanded grout. Unsanded might shrink. Keep sponge dry, use caulk in tile corners, do not use premix wet mastic under tile, use powdered thinset with latex additive.
You might want to leave in the cieling when you gut.
You might want to get some kilz and paint the studs around the shower area if moisture problems were evident.

o

Adding an 18" deep bay window so we could have a bathtub. Ahhhhhhh.

Oh and the steam shower, double ahhhhhhh......

Ivette

o

geekette: How expensive is a heated floor with a thermostatic timer? The "open" area in our bathroom is approximately 80 square feet. A thermobalance shower control sounds expensive. Did you buy local or on-line?

pirula: Did you buy a soaking, air, or jetted tub? Size of tub?

hoffman: What's on your corner shelf? How deep is it? Is it just for decoration or utilitarian?

o

Best choices:
1) Throwing out the idea of the "Home Depot Plastic Fantastic El Cheapo Bathroom" in favor of something I actually liked rather than would tolerate as functional (DH gets credit for this one). It was murder on the bank account and it'll likely screw us on resale because it's definitely different, but wow.
2) Tile warming here too. Our master suite-lette is over the unheated and unheatable garage and the floors get painfully cold in the winter - it's 15 degrees today, wind chills below zero, and even the carpeted bedroom floor is very cold!
3) Clawfoot tub even though folks here tried to talk me out of it because I might have trouble getting in and out of it due to a disability. I haven't even installed the grab bar because the rolled rim is so easy to hold on to for balance.
4) Standing my ground when people said to paint my beadboard wainscot when version 1's stain did not come out well, since it would be far cheaper than replacing the materials. It really makes the room special.

Regrets:
1) Leaving plumber #1's screwed-up rough-ins instead of pulling out the sheetrock and having them fixed. For example the clawfoot tub is awkwardly close to the wall when it should be a couple more inches away.
2) Brushed nickel faucets and lighting to match a console sink we ended up not using anyway because it was too tall and too modern-looking. Sigh. I gotta win the Megabucks so I can replace it all with copper or unlacquered brass. It's better than chrome but I really like the warm-colored metals so much more.
3) Too many screwup purchases, stupid things like not mocking up the height of that sink to make sure I could work with it instead of just guesstimating with a tape measure, and buying a cheap storage cabinet with drawers that don't work properly.
4) Epoxy grout. Nowhere near as stain-resistant as the manufacturers insist.

I also have mixed feelings about a few things, like the hex tile floor - although it's very attractive, stuff gets stuck in the grout lines so I have to vacuum rather than sweep, and I hate hauling out the vacuum cleaner.

o

Regrets:
1) Not installing a second niche. I installed one thinking how many more shampoo bottles could one have. And once the wife claimed the space, there is no more room. And now I have shampoo bottles on the floor.
2) Not installing a heated floor

Best choices:
1) Going with frameless glass french doors in the shower
2) Doing the job myself and doing it right the first time
3) Using a pedestal sink in my small master bath to give it a bigger look
4) Using neutral toned tiles and accenting with paint and assessories
5) Using an arcylic shower base versus a mud bed tiled floor
6) Putting recessed lights and the fan directly over the shower
7) Tiling the shower ceiling

o

My favourite thing is the Runtal Towel Warmers. My towels are always dry and warm!

Here is a link that might be useful: Runtal Radiator/Towel Warmers

o

ashlander:

We put in the below clawfoot, the 5 ft 9 in one. Boy! Have prices gone up since we put it in! No jets.

Ivette

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterworks Savoy Tub

o

One piece comfort height toilets in both bathrooms.

o

What we like best:
Having bathroom vanity cabinets built to kitchen height level.
Thermobalance shower control
Warm porcelain tile floors
Air jet tub
Toto washlet toilet
Installing electrical inside cabinets so hair dryer and electric toothbrush aren't on the counter.

Regrets:
After changing the layout of tub and toilet, didn't account for where to put the towel bars and toilet tissue holder. Then after all work is done, figuring out how to have something that looks nice and as if it was "planned."

o

How expensive is a heated floor? Ours a year ago cost $750 plus installation, which was wrapped up in the floor install. It was a 40' roll, but I can't remember how wide the rolls are (18"?). You'd really have to get quotes, available on line.

We got Hansgrohe thermobalance shower control for about $200, I think, but they are getting more widespread. It may go by different names, but you want temperature control, rather than just pressure balanced anti-scald.

o

Ashlander:

My corner shelves hold shampoo and soap in the shower (instead of a niche). They are 8" (shaped like a quarter of a circle) and are installed at 4 and 5 feet above the floor. If I could do it over, I'd put a third one 3 feet high.

o

Don't know if this had been posted or not, but one great simple idea was to install the heat/vent switch in reach of the commode. Sounds kind of silly, but now is so great.
Also, we had a much easier time picking tile after we picked granite, and picked granite after we chose the vanity. One just lead to the next.

o

Best decisions:
--tossing the cheap acrylic tub/wall surround for custom fitted cultured granite shower. No grout, no cracking, easy upkeep, and gorgeous!
--Putting in double shelf units in that custom shower. We have an inset double height wall unit and a corner double height unit. Both are full.
--Panasonic WhisperWarm. This was the coldest room in the house - but no longer! Works very well and exhausts steam in a flash.
--Keeping the double 3'wide medicine cabinets. OK, it's not as trendy as wall mirrors, but boy, do we love all that storage.

Bad decisions:
--Completely frameless glass shower enclosure on the neo-angle custom shower. It leaks, it was outrageously expensive, and a slim-line metal framed shower would be much, much better. Frameless is just not suitable for neo-angle showers. Now we know!
--Nobody's fault, but did not realize the floor is wildly uneven. When the contractor tried to install the storage and sink vanity cabinets, we discovered there is a very large (over 1") gap between the sink and storage cabs at sink height, even though the bases are touching side by side. When you're sitting on the toilet, you can see the sink cabinets are definitely tilted to the right -- annoying, but nothing can be done unless we get someone to create a custom insert to hide the gap.

o

Love reading these posts. Makes me wish I was starting over.... almost. ;-)

Best decisions - Hand shower in kids bath, heated floors, thermostatic control for constant temp and pressure, fans with timers, marble countertops even though they are etching - I just love looking at them.

Wish I had - Made the corner shelf/bench in the shower just a bit bigger (18 or 20" sides instead of 16). It works fine as a shelf, but I had hoped it might serve as a bench in a pinch, and let's just say, not for my tush. Spring for the dedicated circuit to get the whisper warm fan/heater in the master bath. Been there when the plumber installed our second shower head (handshower) way too high. Gone with cultured marble or a glossy corian for my kids' vanity top. The matte corian has already been marked up from something being dropped in the sink and is hard to keep looking clean.

o

bump

o

So far, I am loving every bathroom decision I made, most of which involved opting for better quality (i.e., more expensive than I could really justify). But I also searched out the bargains, like finding my vanity on craigslist, & buying my fixtures through homeclick on a sale weekend, or asking for (& GETTING!) the contractor's discount from a local lumber store, & finding my countertop as a remnant.

Love love love all my Grohe fixtures. & marmoleum floor. & the niche in the shower. & the Cadet 3 toilet. & most of all, the Vetrazzo countertop that made me switch design directions as soon as I found it.

I can't really say I regret the things that didn't get done, like move the window, or replace the impossible-to-find custom-sized shorty bathtub, because doing those 2 changes would have almost equalled the cost of everything else; sometimes you just accept what you can do within your budget. I've lived with the window for 10 years; I can continue to do so. & the tub can be re-coated if necessary.

The other thing I'm glad I did was one of those unseen tasks - replaced all of the old galvanized pipes. I could hardly believe what I saw inside some of them! (100 year old house & I'm sure some of those pipes were that old) Water actually flows like it's supposed to now! :-D

o

Best decission: my choice of tile and adding a mosaic for accent.
Biggest regrets: not having radiant flooring
not changing my vanity cabinet

o

Gosh I'm loving this thread! My "wish" list is getting longer and longer. Poor DH

o

bump it

o

My glad-I-did's:

Kept a hands-on daily watch over all work done, critiquing and making sure it was done as WE wanted (measuring and re-measuring and writing that measurement on the wall for each contractor so there was no dispute);

Taking progress photos every few days, as needed. Sometimes looking at pics on the monitor shows something that might have been overlooked - also good to have if there's a prob. later on with contr.

Making sure tile man interspersed nat'l tile in a pleasing manner and not bunching up a few "odd-colored" tiles together. This is SOOO important, friends - often overlooked by tiler as he's doing the work (but not Bill and Mongo, that's for sure!!).

Deciding to keep perfectly good jetted tub (though it's never used) for future sales' reasons.

Deciding to keep existing white-washed oak vanity (88" long, I think). We had it (and throughout the house) faux-finished to look like a fruitwood type of look and they're lovely! Would have cost us $15,000 at the least to replace all those cabs in the house, otherwise.

Spending prob. 15 hours at numerous tile stores trying to find another company's qtr. round to hopefully match the tile I loved and which didn't come with any trim - FOUND it!!! (But make sure to get current sample FIRST!!) You'd never know they're from 2 companies.

Having the shower niche made with a lower shelf towards bottom so there's an appropriate 3-1/2" high opening for the 2 bars of soap.

Moving an elect. outlet up a little bit near sink so it's out of the way of the listello across the wall.

Finally figuring out to use a little razor-holder with suction cup on the lower part of wall in shower to hook wash cloth onto, instead of stressing over where I'm going to keep wash cloth.

Stressing over how to design a custom-made medicine cab. in order to remove virtually everything off the vanity. Finally, after looking for ideas, found several brands of cabs that are 36" high, allowing for elec. toothbrush and mousse cans, etc. to fit, along with the usual stuff inside, including 2 interior mirrors ... a bonus.

Laying floor on the diagonal - love that look.

Spending the extra $$ for a frameless shower enclosure and using the newer swivel piece at the top of the door so less metal brackets are needed along the door and wall. Insisting (!!) on using the 1/2" high U-channel, which is lower profile, instead of routine 3/4" high that glass guy wanted to use. He hadn't used the 1/2" before (as well as the new door swivel bracket) and it was clearly approved by bath specs.

Getting the pressure-balanced faucet with temperature setting on it. It's great to just turn on and not have to fiddle with hot/cold knobs - our temp is "pre-set" but easy to override if we suddenly want colder or hotter.

WISH I'D DONE: Learn to relax a little and realize it's "just a bathroom " - HAH!!

o

arlinek, OK, now you've got me. Which medicine cabinets did you find that can contain all of the things you mentioned? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks.

o

ME TOO!! that is exactly what I am going to want...so sick of everything on the vanity top.

o

* Having a "shampoo shelf" in the shower (hidden by our half-wall) instead of shampoo niches. Got the idea from this very forum! We modified the design slightly and love it.
* Radiant in-floor heating
* Seat in the shower (angled slightly so it doesn't collect water)
* Both a "regular" shower head and a hand-held on a slider bar in the shower, each with its own valve and controls
* Having the Master Bath on the east side of the house so it benefits from the morning light (especially helps on those mornings when the alarm goes off sooner than you'd like!)
* Having a pretty sconce in the Master Bath near the door that's on a dimmer. It can be controlled from the bathroom, DH's side of the bed, or my side. We mounted quiet switches between our bedside tables and our bed so we can have light if we need to get up in the night and not worry about tripping over the dogs!

o

Oh, that's easy! The one I eventually got was the Broan (partner co. with Nutone), model # is: 52WH344DPF. This happens to be 34" high, but I liked it's looks and it was quite a bit less $$ than one of its competitors: Robern, which is a "higher-end" company that makes beau. cabs, also. But, their price is around $500-$600, instead of, say $200 +. Go to HomeClick.com and type in "medicine cabinets" and you'll start to get an idea of what's really out there. Robern even makes cabs that are 39" High! You just have to make sure you read the details as the variables are tremendous - ht. X width X depth (4"? 6"?), flush mounted on wall?, surface mounting?, if you want a wider one, will your opening allow it, or is there going to be electrical in the way, pipes, etc. ? Make sure you place it where YOU can reach the top level shelf and not the carpenter's reach!! Do you want only one interior mirror? or two (2nd one behind the shelving)? Doors are usually reversible, but you must take into consideration if the door is going to hit anything when opening it too wide. My hinges open 170 degrees, but I really only needed 90 degrees, but had no choice. So, I have to be careful not to swing the door open with great enthusiasm or I might hit the adjacent mirror. But, that's not a prob. for me; I'm always conscientious about it and it doesn't swing wildly open anyway, it's on the "tight" side so I'd really have to PUSH it firmly to make it hit the other mirror. There are several co's, as I said, that make these extra tall versions - it's all about choosing the details that YOU want and need. Want the sides to have narrow mirror strips? You can do that too. Want lights surrounding it? Want an interior elec. outlet? It does become a little overwhelming - as usual, how far do you want to go and how much are you willing to spend?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of MY 34

o

Best decisions:

1) Toto Drake toilet, universal height, with mid-priced Washlet

2) Polished brass, hand held Moen Revolution shower head, with extra long hose (standard)

3) Porcelain tile baseboards to match the tiled walls and the tile flooring

4) Custom-built, frameless shower door

5) Higher than normal countertop so I don't need to bend over very much

Regrets:

Only 1: Wish I'd put a different edge on my granite countertops so that water would not trickle down to the floor. A piece of cake to clean up, but wish I'd done something that would prevent the water from dripping off my arms and elbows and falling to the floor.

o

I am still finalizing details for our plan and greatly appreciate the terrific ideas in this thread. Thanks

o

I started this thread and appreciate each and every one of you who is taking time tell your best remodeling decision and/or regret. We still haven't finalized details of our remodel such as fixtures, counter material or flooring, so we are reading each comment carefully.
Thanks for sharing.

o

I agree totally! It gives us newbies a great resource of quick info when you all post the why's and why not's. Thanks!

o

48 inch square shower, with shower head offset toward the wall, and shower controls offset toward the shower door, leaves room inside to undress while the shower is warming up (family of mixed ages at varying degrees of modesty)

Porcelain tiles.

Oversized soap shelves (but they should drain)

Washcloth rack in shower

American Standard Cadet "3" toilet, ADA, soft close seat, elongated. Threw away our plunger for this one.

Full extension drawers!!!

Insulating the bathroom walls

Putting the TP holder out by my knees instead of on the wall behind me next to the toilet tank.

Electrified one drawer for hair dryer

Mix of incandescent and mini fluorescent light fixtures for different purposes (e.g. low wattage fluorescent over shower is also our night light)

Offset sink rather than center it on counter top.

Raised counter top height (but not high enough)

All Moen, all the time.

LEFT ROOM FOR THE WASTE BASKET

Regrets:
Linen closet should have gone to top of wall.

Relatively dark counter top shows water marks (water softener is in our future)

o

arlinek, thanks for sharing your medicine cabinet find. I'll add this to the wish list! Do you have a photo of yours in the bath?
Patti

o

Best

I love my beveled mirror, Kohler soaking tub, marble vanity top, mosaic insets in the floor tile and timer on the vent fan. Guests are impressed (or confused ) by the Aquia duo flush toilet. New vanity has a full width drawer under the plumbing. The niche was also a good decision.

I wish I could have talked the electrician into wiring one of the drawers. It would have kept the chargers off of my vanity.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n121/patrice607/P1000720.jpg

o

bump

o

I didn't want to post until we put the last finishing touch on the bathroom. I'm happy to say the details are done, hallelujah! My Bests list includes many of the same things others have mentioned.

Worst decision: Rejuvenation Medicine Cabinets. Trust me, you can do better. There's nothing worth the Huge Hassle I had with this company over these poorly made items.

Best decisions: SunTouch heated floors, even into the shower. I particularly love it in the shower because the floors dry quickly which was an added bonus.

Doorless, curbless, curved wall shower. No glass to clean! Easy access and open feeling to a small space.

Handheld (extra long hose) and regular showerhead with separate on/off and thermostatic valve.

Hinged, drop-down shower seat so it's out of the way when not needed.

Sinks (36 '' high) with Tapmasters, which I love because the basin is closer to my face!

ADA height Toto with Washlet.

Separate reading light over the toilet, switch located next to fixture.

Timers for heat/vent fan. Set it and forget it!

Tile to six feet high, including tiled baseboard which makes the room easy to keep clean.

Shelf ledge instead of counters to keep the clutter to a minimum. I wondered whether it would be enough shelf space; it is.

Tall trash can next to the door so I can access it on the way in/out.

Hooks for towels to save space. This allowed me to have more hooks to hang more items.

Unfitted furniture for storage cabinet/table space. The cost was much more reasonable and I like the option of being able to change these items ''down the road'' if I want to.

o

Claire de Luna, have you posted pictures of your curbless curved-wall shower?? I'd love to see it.

My current bath remodel has no real "best things," except perhaps the way we set the floor tile in a off-set (not angled or straight) manner. Hard to describe but will post pictures this week.

o

Glenna, yes I posted some pictures, but my bathroom is small enough I couldn't get a good shot of the curved wall! You may be able to get an idea of how it all comes together though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Claire de Luna's Vintage Inspired Bathroom

o

We are just begining to plan our Master bath and bedroom remodel and this forum topic is great. I hope it keeps going and like those pictures.

o

i love my concrete counters...no question. and the paint color...so relaxing.

also, i love the saltillo tiles on the bath floor extending into the closet. its so big now. i light candles in the am...and work out in the bathroom!! lols

my worst decision...using unlicensed contractors :(. i have a shower that has to be totally gutted and redone. and i will change the tile in the shower. i used 16" tumbled travertine. next one...im going to use 6x6's.

lynn

lynn

o

"Posted by home_nw (My Page) on Tue, Mar 6, 07 at 18:04

* Having a "shampoo shelf" in the shower (hidden by our half-wall) instead of shampoo niches. Got the idea from this very forum! We modified the design slightly and love it. "

Do you have any pics of this?

o

Wall-mount faucet so crud doesn't build up around the base.

o

This is very helpful advice. Can you all post some pictures?
Donna

o

Bumping this up (because I never responded :)):

Best decisions:

1) Thermobalance valves on each shower head (two people shower concurrently most mornings and like different water temperature)

2) Kitchen-height cabinets (although I failed to take into account the height of the sink, so they're about an inch higher than would be ideal)

3) Toto toilets everywhere

4) Large drawers to store clean towels and wide shallow drawer to store daily use items. I keep them in two baskets which can be easily removed and replaced.

5) Adding a beautiful frameless shower door (had an open shower for 20 years before)

6) Shampoo shelf (we got the idea from a hotel shower)

Bad/less bad/unnecessary:

1) Seat in shower - used only as a place to prop up a leg.

2) Body sprays - used infrequently

3) Keeping the old full-wall mirror (still going to change it, but it has kept us from "finishing" for a almost a year now).

4) Should have done heated floors (even though this is California, tile floors are cold, period)

Worst decision:

Not putting the plug for the hairdryer inside the top drawer.

Mariainny, I don't know if this is what home_nw was referring to, but here's a picture of our shampoo shelf. We have no glass except for the angled door, so you can't see the shelf from elsewhere in the bathroom.

o

I "did my homework." I read all your comments and included the following in our bathroom:
Panasonic fan w/heat on timer (so quiet)
Thermobalance valves, but they aren't set correctly (Please advise, DMLove or someone else)
Cultured granite with frameless shower door
36" height vanities with outlets in cabinets
Toto comfort height toilet
Grohe rain shower head (A-a-h, JOY!)
I/we owe our bathroom to all of you who posted above. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

o

ooh ooh can you tell more about panasonic fan with heat on timer?

o

Ashlander, what do you mean that the thermobalance valves aren't set correctly? Do you think they were installed incorrectly so they're not working right, or something else? I never touch mine -- they remain set on the same temperature (slightly above 100 degrees) and when you enter the shower, you just turn on the volume control to whatever water pressure you want. Temp is always the same (well, very slight variation if the other shower is in use, when one of the two is turned on/off).

o

Best decisions:
---frameless shower with just brackets no bottom channel. Doesn't leak at all and was very expensive. But, worth every penny.
---Vermont Verde and Cararra Marble floor, polished with spectacular design. It always gets a WOW when anyone sees it. Green marble needs careful installation in a wet area.
---floor to ceiling Cararra Marble 12 x 12 tiles. It gives the room an extra tall feeling.

Worst decisions:
----Polished brass faucets, etc. They look dated already.
----Going with the 6' whirlpool tub the GC recommended. A smaller one would have been fine. He was a big man. Guess I should have considered why he likes a huge tub.
----not building niches into the shower wall. I have one shelf and a brass built-in soap dish, but a niche would have been better.

Bathrooms are so much fun to design!

o

Ashlander, when you get a chance, could you post or send me a picture of your cultured granite shower? We're doing one in the third (and hardly ever used) bathroom - it needs to be remodeled due to dry rot from a long-leaking toilet.

o

Best decision: Taking out a HUGE jetted tub and its decking--the "elephant" that took up a third of our large bathroom. Replacing it with a 5-foot jetted tub against a wall. The newly opened-up space, which is in front of a picture window, now has a circular oriental rug, a table with a floral arrangement, and an easy chair.

Other happy decisions:
--using a fabulous contractor who came joyously recommended by a recent remodeler
--not changing the previous layout much, because it worked for us
--Toto Drake toilet
--10-foot granite slab countertop (no seams) for the double sinks; had to travel 100 miles to the slab yards to find it, but it was worth the trouble
--narrow 12-inch-deep cabinets hovering above the countertop to serve as "medicine" cabinets (now there is NOTHING on the countertop but decorative towels
--same porcelain tile on the floor, shower walls, and tub splash; quiet visual interest added by using different tile sizes and matching deco tiles

Nagging mistake: a shallow "make-up" niche has one side wall that is a half-inch longer than the other side wall; granite fabricator templated the counter to fit each wall, so the counter is a slight trapezoid instead of a perfect rectangle; I bought an ivy plant to sit on the shorter side, and over the course of a year or so, it has grown enough to cascade over the edge of the counter, effectively hiding the problem

o

I have been reading here for several weeks since I found the site. We are about to start a remodel of kitchen and two bathrooms.

I would love to hear from people who possibly did showers in marble sheets as opposed to the individual tiles. I have had this recommended to me. I have to admit, I really don't know what I want in the one shower in the main bathroom. At the moment I have a tub/shower combo that is LEAVING. We want tiled type shower with a walk in and no step up so that it will be easy to enter and exit. I do want a bench. I would love to not have to have a door, but don't really know how that would work or look for sure.

I am interested in info on the various materials used and the pros and cons of them. DH doesn't like anything with a texture feel to it. I don't want something that will show lots of water spots. I would be greatly interest in pics of showers and/or jetted tubs--since that is what is going in master bath.

o

By marble sheets, do you mean marble slabs? I have two recently finished showers, both done in marble slabs. One is done in slabs of Verona Marble (an engineered marble), with porcelain 2x2 tiles on the floor. The other is done in natural marble slabs(Emperador Light), with the shower floor also done in fitted pieces of solid marble to avoid grout lines. I am very happy with both....minimal grout to worry about.

o

DMlove:
About thermostatic valve/control: We're not sure if the dial showing water temperature is aligned correctly to actual water temperature. For example, if the control shows 100 degrees, we're not sure if that is the temperature of the water. (When DH took a shower, he set the dial at 70 degrees and was quite comfortable.)

About the cultured granite: I guess "we"(DH) just need to take time figure out to import pictures from Photobucket. We should have time tomorrow.

o

For DMlove:
Here are pictures of the cultured granite in our shower. I like the fact that it is a very simple pattern which made our decision to cover it up easy. We chose the baroque glass (translucent, not opaque), rather than clear. When entering the bathroom, you see the glass rather than the cultured granite. The baroque cost a bit more, but it is really pretty and lets in a lot of light.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

We made a few missteps that I would change if money were no object (ha!)-- mostly w/ woodwork and stain.

And we made many good decisions - granite, porcelain tile, Toto Drake toilet, Delta Leland faucets for the double vanity, undermount sinks, Gilmore pulls from RH. But we made one great decision, and that was the TUB! We considered the Americast, the Kohler Villager and the Toto 1525. And we chose the Toto, and it has been awesome! And I can say that after only one bath ; )
Susan ~

o

sekhmet45...Do you have any pictures of your tile work? We are planning to do the cararra marble on our floors, cararra slabs in the shower, and cararra on the countertops...I would love to see how you designed yours.

o

mpwdmom - are you done? Do we get to see pictures?

o

We just have some finishing details left to do, but have been using the new room for a few weeks now so thought i'd add my faves too

-super size shampoo niche
-cast iron tub (toto 1525)
-having cabs custom made to make the most of our small space and really give it that something special
-getting a tub 2" wider than the old one even tho our room is teeny. It feels like its 2 feet wider.
-using a crown/chair rail tile - we almost didn't do this but find it really adds to the room.
-thermostatic control
-toto toilets rock!

Things we would do differently

-sub out the tiler ourselves and not rely on the GC who hired his cousin
-use slab shelves in shower niche instead of tiling
-wait to order vanity marble slab until everything else was finished so they could template properly (mea culpa)

o

My best decision was to read this forum before I got started on my bedroom to bathroom conversion.

Our house is about 40 years old and started out life as a 900 sq ft home and has grown to about 1900 sq ft and unfortunately the bathroom was never upgraded.

The master (only) bathroom is so small you can brush your teeth, wash your feet and never leave the toilet!

My wife and I now preparing for an empty nest have decided to turn an adjacent bedroom into the bathrom we became used to in our place when we lived in Korea!!

I live and work in the United Arab Emirates and my wife is home in our house in Alabama.

We have used the internet a lot over the last few months and have amassed a lot of knowlege on this subject.

She has shopped in the local area and I have shopped here, finding an Italian designed toilet and bidet along with a Cypress wooden tub and shower which is cheaper to ship home than buy it there.

We have decided on black slate tile for the floor and 4 ft up the wall. Insired by the bathroom in a hotel suite we stayed in Atlanta at W hotel.

The vanity will be made by a trusted local cabinet maker that will combine the vanity with a makeup table. We haven't decided on a top theough trying to choose between ganite or synthetic.

The shower is a frameless 2 wall 48 x 48 shower with a shower panel. The niches are a great idea I picked up here and will incorporate at least three. I am also going to investigate the Panasonic fan/heater option too!!

Thanks in advance guys I'll keep you posted on progress.

o

My best decisions:

- toto drake toilet
- closet in the bathroom (full size door, shelves across on top, little cart on the bottom that I can pull out when needed and pull back into the closet quickly, leaving no mess on the bathroom counter)
-big shelf in the shower hidden by the closet so mess is not visible except when actually showering
-handheld shower in addition to fixed shower head
-thermostatic valves
-programmable towel warmer
-frameless glass shower: beautiful, easy to maintain, and not that expensive after all.
- handheld shower in the tub

Things I would have done differently:
- contractor insisted on a particular vanity type under countertop...wood material, not very thick and hard to maintain and protect from daily use wear...Wanted a sanijura vanity instead...should have insisted...
- whole surface material for shower seat instead of regular tiles...grouts are already cracking and tiles will need to be replaced by something else (most likely similar as the sink countertop)
- heated tiles (we are on top of an unheated garage)
- this system that circulates hot water throughout the house so that you don't have to wait 1 long minute until the shower water turns hot.
-tub...contractor insisted a tub was needed in any masterbath. we don't take baths ever...convinced us to put one in regardless; we ended up putting a simple tub anyway, whose dust I rinse off every week with my fancy handheld shower (ehehehe)...
I will post pictures when I return from my trip
Thanks!

o

Best decisions:

Ditched the Yarmouth Blue paint for Beacon Gray (both by BM); hated having to ask DH to do it over, but I really wasn't happy with it, and am glad I spoke up when it was still easy enough to change it (i.e., before the tile work went in)

Ditched the carrara basketweave floor for the ceramic pinwheels (Chloe, American Olean) - a screw-up w/ Design Expo precipitated this decision - so, so glad! The decision to switch was made in a matter of minutes, and with the support of posters here - I couldn't be happier with it!

Ditched the wood wainscoting for white subways w/glossy black pencil liner. The upkeep with wood (painting every so often, worries about splashes from three little kids) was not something we looked forward to; the subways look so sharp, clean & classic!

Also very happy that the tiler knew enough to work w/the self-spacing tiles. I prefer that the grout lines be minimal (white for the walls, "silver bullet" for the floors).

Toto Drake toilet was a good choice, too - though I'm surprised that the lid itself is of such an insubstantial plastic.

The choice to do the carrara tub deck in 4 pieces (rather than one) was a HUGE cost-cutter. The seams are imperceptible. I am grateful that our awesome GC let us know this was an option. To do it the way we did was half the cost of what a single slab would have been - still pricey, but such a stand-out in the room that we are very happy with it.

A decision in progress: don't know whether we'll regret this, but we are leaning towards a shower curtain, as opposed to a glass door. The doors are just so wildly expensive - I am so ambivalent about glass - I'd just as soon save that $$$ and put it into the kitchen project instead.

Good luck, everybody - we've got a few more details to go, so I may amend this list down the road...so interesting to read of everybody's experiences!

o

bump

o

I wasn't posting here then, and in fact did not know about this forum then! However, here is mine:

Best things:

Knocking out wall to adjoining walk in closet to enlarge bathroom.

Trading w/ GC for smaller radiator (it fits better and WORKS better than the old hippopotamus that took up half the room before!)

Letting our GC buy the toilet, sink and tub (he got us a great price on our faucets because he did this, and he made sure all pieces were perfect.)

Arguing with tile store when the salesperson made an error and didn't give us our listello tile (they got it shipped direct from the manufacturer overnight at their cost to make up for the error.)

Things I would change:

I will never, EVER again deal with that tile store. Even if they did make good, they gave me an awful headache.

We picked a tile that only looked good with white grout, and so I have white grout EVERYWHERE. Walls, floor, in the shower. No matter what you do, white grout looks grungy in five minutes after washing it. Did I mention we have hard water, which turns everything orange in three minutes if you don't mop the water up? ::sigh::

o

We replaced our builder special cheap toilets with Toto Carlisles. We also added washlets. If I was building new or renovating, I would install a GFI plug behind the toilet. It is so easy and cheap to do when the wall is open.

o

Things I like best about my guest bath:
Beadboard wainscoting made of Azek! It looks exactly like wood, but there is no worry about water damage at all. My GC constructed a panel made from it to fit the front of the tub. It looks great.
Getting an airjet tub instead of jacuzzi-type. It's simpler to operate and looks more sleek.
Using a shower curtain instead of glass doors. It looks more graceful, and since it's the guest bath it doesn't get heavy use.
In the wall behind the tub I had the GC build a large niche. The top of the niche conceals recessed low-voltage halogen lighting. It makes for very soothing atmospheric lighting. The bottom of the niche can be used for a shelf just behind the bathtub. Sometimes I put candles on it when I take a bath.

Things I like least about the guest bath:
The vanity that I bought from the Restoration Hardware catalog, sight unseen (remind me never to do that again). The operator told me the drawer fronts were dovetailed. It wasn't true but I kept the darned thing anyway.

Now I am doing the master bath. The thing I like so far is my decision to really splurge on the tile. I just fell in love with Ming Green marble tiles and floor mosaic. Now that it's going in, I just love it.

o

astrobotanist, what air tub do you have?

o

Best Decisions for our small master bathroom:
Insisting that we use large format tile in our small bathroom (18X18 shower walls, and 24X24 floors). It makes such a strong visual impact and it doesn't look oversized. I regret that my new entryway tiles are only 12x12. =(

Choosing a vanity rather than pedestal sink. All the advice I got was to go with a pedestal to make the bathroom look larger and airy. The vanity gives me more storage space and I can actually set my makeup box on top of the counter. We had a pedestal sink and it was so inconvenient, and the rim always looked dirty. And I don't think the vanity makes our tiny bathroom appear any tinier, just like the pedestal sink never did fool the eye to thinking the bathroom is larger.

Worst Decision:
Glass shelf over the toilet. I ordered an expensive (at least in my mind) Kohler purist glass shelf thinking that I would put a potted plant there. It's too shallow for most small pots, and I could've spent 1/3 of the price on something that works better. But, I can't return it and I'm too cheap to do anything else about it so I'm going to hunt down a narrow vase or potted plant.

o

Just doing my final finishing decorative touches on a long process but otherwise done! BEST DECISION: I had a space designer come out to see my small master bathroom ( 12 x 10) which had no storage. She had a fantastic idea of installing built in shelving using the deadspace behind the door. Stores all my towels, toiletries, etc. LOVE IT! I also loved that I ended up using earth tones in the shower. As it was going up I was kicking myself for not doing subway tiles to match my wallpaper etc. Once the shower went up in earth tones, I loved it and ripped down the wallpaper. Another great desicison was doing a built in medicine cabinet to match my beadboard with no door. Love the look. And initially I had ordered enough tile for shower and tub deck. Decided at the last minute not to do the tub deck in tile but carerra marble instead to match the vanity and this was my most amazing decision to date. Just love the look! Also so pleased that I went with semi frameless door instead of frameless...I don't have any complaints yet for "wish I did but I didn't"......Just pleased it all came together! BUT this is one word of advice I will give - I discovered this forum while the bathroom was being installed which I think really was better for my personality type. I literally spent 5 minutes picking out bathroom tile, barely glanced at faucet choices and vanities - did it all in under an hour. I find that AMAZING - truely, I looked at NO pictures for inspiration, had NO idea what I wanted but it came together very quickly b/c I went wtih my first instinct. Had I had this forum I would have studied everyone's pictures, tiles, and made myself nuts!!!!!! I did however make up for this on the paint - after I discovered this forum I drove myself insane on paint colors! So the majority of my time was spend on paint colors in this bathroom and not much else. Just ironic...

o

Best decisions:
-->In general, love the layout, colors and materials.
-->Radiant heat under the floor (love it so much we're doing it in our upcoming kitchen remodel). We used Warming Systems (least expensive I found) and installed it ourselves (200 sq ft worth) in 3 hours.
-->Heated towel rack (Warmrails, bought on Amazon)
-->Swanstone recessed shower caddy. Big enough for everything.
-->Dual shower heads with body sprays. Very relaxing.
-->Doing it ourselves. We spent about $20,000 on materials and 360 hours, and can't even imagine what it would have cost to pay someone to do all that work.

Do-overs:
-->We have a steam shower and the inlet is a little too close to the seat. Would have moved it 12" over to avoid leg-scalding.
-->I forgot to design in a place at the vanity for a hand towel, and no wall space was available to hang a towel rack. Ended up putting it a few steps away.
-->Possibly the shower doors. We did semi-framless, ceiling-height glass, and the bids came in about double what we were expecting. By then it was too late to change the design, but if we had known it would be that expensive we might have redesigned somehow to use less glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our remodel photos

o

The best decision we made was to reduce the size of our cabinet in order to add a shower stall. We were going to go with a shower over tub - luckily our GC talked us out of this! Also as we use the tub infrequently we are happy we did a deep tub with jets!

o

Taking pictures of everything with a tape measure in the picture so that the contractor could see what was behind the tile and how high and wide the backer boards are when they installed the handheld shower bar and soap baskets. Years from now, when we will install grab bars, the pictures will also come in handy.

o

scotmel--would love to see photos of your behind the door shelves. Sounds like the solution to our problem.

o

bumping up...great advice!

o

I've renovated 5 bathrooms in the last few years. I would love to weigh in!

Best:
Hand helds on slide bars (esp for kids!)
Ginger "splashables" baskets for shampoo, etc.
Toto toilets
Using granite remnants for counter tops
undermount sinks
Hooks for towels (6 in the kids bath for bathing suits too)
Gutting everything--there was an amazing amount of mold hidden
Eliminating the medicine cabinet in favor of real cabinets
Americast extra deep tub

Worst:
Having the contractor build mirror frames from the cabinet molding. Should have just used existing mirrors
Not putting the fan in the shower
Letting one of the contractors keep the old plaster ceiling. In the bath where it was covered in green board, we never had a problem. The one with the exposed plaster kept cracking and flaking paint.
Resusing the fake marble sink top
Gold fixtures (sold the house though!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Splashables

o

great question!
best things about my master bath?
kohler fixtures-- handicap height toilet and bidet
radiant heat
the best tile job ever,i kid you not. dh talked me into spending triple the budget for enough tile to go all the way to the ceiling,it's turkish tumbled stone in shades of pink,brown and oyster. our neighbor did the job,it took him 14 weeks but it was worth every penny and minute.
our gc found a way to use four 16x20 fixed glass windows (which my father had bought for me at a yard sale!)in our master bath,,allowing tons of natural light and interest.
jacuzzi steam shower for two-we use the double shower heads and the steam,never the body sprays or waterfalls.
extra wiring for a chandelier-haven't found the right one yet,but i will.
8"x20" floor to ceiling niche where i store rolled up towels and the two foot tall space underneath where i store the toilet brush,et al.
what i could do without--
the extra body spray feature in the jacuzzi steam shower. should have spent that extra on water pressure boosters.
huge whirlpool for two--i never use it since it's virtually impossible to keep the jets clean.
wish i'd remembered a place for the trash can.
and i have a nice mirror,but no medicine cabinet-i guess it's ok that i use the small hall closet for those things.

o

Great thread . . . thanks, everyone, for taking the time to respond! We built 6 years ago and are moving, so are going through it all again . . . these are the things I'll repeat.

Love my cabinet-heights counters

Toto Carlyles and washlet

Splurged on accent tile I adored . . . It was pricy per sheet but I only used 6 sheets and it absolutely made the bathroom. I'm devastated that I can't find it anywhere for my new house.

Walk in shower with rain-shower head plus moveable hand-held. We love it and it's a great place to wash a golden retriever!!

Storage shelves for towels, etc. in the entrance area of shower.

Plug for DH's razor inside the linen cabinet.

o

bump

o

My master bath remodel is in progress, but I already know I'm going to like an idea I got from this thread (or maybe an earlier one just like it) - which is having outlets at the back of the vanities. I've already wired the outlets which will be in the wall behind each vanity, at the level of the top drawer (vanities are furniture pieces with 3 drawers each). I'll have my blow dryer in my top drawer and dh will have his electric shaver in his top drawer.
I've also wired outlet boxes for the inside of each of the two recessed medicine cabinets. Those are for our rechargable toothbrushes.

A lot of my other choices were influenced by this thread and by this forum in general.

o

Best decision - researching the whazzooo out of EVERYTHING and skulking around on this and other websites for months, reading every post and horror story, looking for tips and tricks for what to do (or not do), comparison shopping online for price and quality, then making educated buying decisions and making purchases myself rather than letting the contractor make design decisions for me based on whatever "deal" he could get or what he had prior experience with.

Worst decision - letting "resale" oriented thinking creep into my design decisions, under pressure from friends and family, so that the bathroom eventually became gender and style neutral rather than modern and masculine the way I originally wanted,

o

Just posted this in the question about whether to reglaze or replace an old bathtub.

Years ago, when we remodeled our old house bathroom, we splurged and spent $575 to have the clawfoot bathtub reglazed. For us, it's been a great decision. We've gotten so much enjoyment from the tub and it still looks great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our tub

o

bump

o

Best decisions:

Kitchen counter top height for vanity.
Removing the bidet to make longer vanity (54" to 72")
In floor heat
Splurging on the corian top (it was in the 'F' category)

Should have:
Had the maple vanity stained darker rather "pickled" to blend with the old wall tiles. (It looked fine with a couple of wall tiles, but not overall.)

Gutted and redone the shower at the same time. (Finances were/are a factor. I save ahead for these projects!)

o

*bumping this for my seester*

o

- splurging on the shower fixture, with thermastatic valve, rainhead and separate showerhead.

- Panasonic fan (it really is quiet)

- Toto high-efficiency toilet

- buying a proper cabinet instead of pedestal sink, so I really can fit all my toiletries in there.

o

Being completely impractical and putting a spa bath in a Manhattan townhouse, thus shrunking our bedroom, my study and eliminating the dressing room. Although small by national standards, at 13x19 it is perhaps 4 times the size of the typical Manhattan master bath. Having enough space helps make the bath a meditative spa.

Basing the design on an uncompromising concept on the Dornbracht website called the Spirit of Water.

Not buying the Dornbracht RainSky, which has no approval for lights, and replacing it with three Italian shower heads with halogen lights that shimmer through the water falling from a 10' ceiling and still create a "personal cloud".

Not building a custom granite tub when the identical design was available from Americh. This gave us water jets, air bubbles, a grab bar, and polychromatic colored lights. Making the tub an open shower.

Installing two Velux skylights in a round and square opening, with automated open and close and two automated shades each.

Installing two Loewen access windows with automated Hunter Douglas honeycomb shades.

Toto Neorest toilet (we call him Kamakaze John).

Wide Boffi Italian Illuminated mirror over custom Corian suspened vanity (matching the tile) with two basins, drawer with power strip, and storage compartment. Air switch on the vanity to control recessed lights above the sink.

24" ceramic tile that looks like limestone, but is much easier to take care of.

Suspended bench upholstered with Sunbrella fabric on bathroom wall.

Custom 36 x 96 medicine closet with Blum tandembox drawers, shelves and a laundry chute.

Double 8' tall pull-out linen closets with leather trunk handle pulls.

Four Custom 8' sliding doors with translucent acrylic panels to conceal the two closets and the commode, plus two similar custom pocket doors.

Sculptural wall-mounted magazine rack for toilet cubby, invisible book shelf, Blomus trash can, swinging Wesaunard towel warmer, heated floor, Dornbracht mixer and shower valves, Swiss contemporary basin faucets, Dornbracht Kneipp hose for the garden and supplemental tub filling.

Following the Dornbracht plan and putting a tropical plant garden near the tub, the designing of which has totally infiltrated DW's imagination.

Having multiple sources of artificial and natural light, several of which are customized.

Not forgetting the little touches like Frette towels, candles, spa pillows, etc.

Best of all, I plan to incribe words expressing the "Spirit of Water" on the walls in Italian (Francis of Assissi), Chinese (Li Po), Greek (from fountain in Constantinople) and English (Keats).

Oh yes, and NOT putting in a TV.

Since our theme (from Dornbracht) is The Spirit of Water, it is perhaps not surprising that we went overboard.

o

1. Clutter-free. A. Wall hung hair dryer B. tip out for toothbrushes, paste, flossers C. Decorative hinged box for hairbrushes and combs D. counter mounted soap dispenser
2. Ginger 3 tier chrome corner caddy installed thru Swanstone tub/bath panels.
3. Swanstone tub/bath panel surrounds. No grout-no mold-just pretty bright white caulk
4. Heated floor-separate dedicated electricity for floor.
5. Whisper warm-no lite, just heat or de-fogger-separate dedicated elec needed
6. Toto washlet. Washlet control, chrome soap tray, chrome hooks on side of vanity next to washlet.
7. 36" tall wall cabinet over toilet-cabinet is same cabinet-maker as stained maple slab front vanity cabinet.
8. Two separate largest Robern recessed mirrored cabinets, side by side. Can see back of head without big stretch forward, while blow drying hair.
9. Plain white shower curtain instead of gorgeous glass. No more squeegee.
10. Clear, thick, glass tile of different sizes on vanity wall and above Swanstone panels. Should have colored grout in areas of larger tiles for more drama. Oh well.
All of above to maximize utility, absence of maintenance, and comfort in very small master bath.

o
RE: ::What was your best bathroom remodeling decision?

In teen daughter's bath, aka family bathroom, the now discontinued Axor, is it Grohe or HG? fabulous lav faucet that swivels to become a drinking fountain. Yup. a drinking fountain-no cups!

o

I think my very best decision was to get a soaking tub (Jason 5" x 32 " x 20.5 ") I was usually a shower taker, but since having this tub, have been taking baths and finding it very, very relaxing.
Also divided drawer in vanity where I can keep, Q-tips, lipstick and brush, etc separated and not have keep these items in separate containers in my medicine cabinet or on top of the vanity.
Also best plan was to stay with a GC who was really great and cared about making me happy! Workers that were here on time and were quiet and polite and really nice.
I cannot think of a bad decision made in this bathroom. I am really happy with it.
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

downtowner, do you have any photos? It sounds amazing.

o

brugloverz9, that's a very nicly done, co-ordinated bathroom. I love your choices, congratulations!

o

Bruglover9, what a beautiful bathroom. Can you describe in greater detail your vanity drawer divider? I'm working with a cabinet maker right now and would love to think of every detail that will help me stay organized. Also, is your sink a Kohler Ladena? I'm looking for a rectangular sink and will get a 18"x12" ladena unless I can find one smaller than 18". If yours is smaller than 18", can you tell me the brand? Thanks.

o

emily...Thank you! I am so glad to be finished, I second guessed all of my decisions and am realy glad that I am happy with the way it turned out.

collage...My sink is Kohler, Kathryn...it is 12 X 20 inches.
The divided drawer is

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

o

I guess you could call it a remodel as it was almost done when we decided to change it.

Best decision by far... to take our 2 smallish kids baths (side by side) move the girl bath to the girl bedroom (only one girl out of 11) and demo adjoining wall and make dormitory bathroom for youngest 6 boys. 2 of everything. Absolutely love it. So does she.

The blue is boys bath, the yellow is DD's

o
Best Bathroom Design Ideas_Vanity Mirror Defogger

I love to take long hot showers...and prefer to shave my face after...at my zen vessel sinkbut got tired of wiping and wiping the condensation from the mirrorso I installed a mirror defogger (heating element behind the vanity mirror)that comes on automatically with the vanity light switch. The walls can be dripping from condensation and the vanity mirror stays crystal clear. It is great for any bathroom vanity mirror especially for small bathrooms with poor ventilation it's a great small bathroom design idea. It's a piece of cake to put in and will set you back a measly $30. Its a 30min installation.
Cheers
Karl Eberhardt
aka Bathroom Daddy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Daddy

o

Actually I like most things about my bathroom and will use most of these things in the next house we are planning:
Pull out clothes hamper
Cabinet Height Vanities/double sinks
Make-up area/stool
5' shower/bench/hand-held shower head/grab bars (I was especially thankful for this for my hip replacement)
ADA Toilet
Telephone
TV (although I think this is my husband's favorite thing)
Plug in for hair dryer in cabinet

Wouldn't do again:
6' jetted tub (my knees won't bend enough to use it)
Although personally I still think they look good with our pecan stained vanities, we put in polished brass everything, which seems to be dated now...until the tide turns and everything old becomes new.

o

Great thread and thanks for many good ideas. Too bad this thread cant be topped in the forum.

o

Downtowner --

We'd love to see PHOTOS of your "Spirit of Water" bathroom. It sounds like a real spa!

Do you use your Velux motorized skylight shades often? Do you recommend them?

Who fabricated your custom pocket doors and custom sliding doors?

Looking forward to seeing photos of your beautiful bathroom!

Thanks!

o

Giving a bump for those who may have missed this thread

o

1. Heated floors -- SunTouch
2. Frameless shower doors -- Showerguard
3. Tankless water heater - electric (Stiebel Eltron)
4. Wall mounted-toilet - duravit
5. Overheard-mounted rain shower faucet - Jaclo 16 X 20"
6. Pocket Door
7. Panasonic heater/nitelight/exhaust fan combo

o

Bisazza Glass Mosaics (Hearts White, Petit Four Blu & Righe Blu) - purchased some through Ebay at amazing discounts!

Grohe Atrio Faucets and Aquatower 2000 - very well made

Hansgrohe Axor Stark X Tub Filler - too cool...but need to watch out for sharp edges

Toto Soiree Toilet - worry free flushing

Duravit Starck 1 Floor Standing Toilet - too cool...but overpriced

Panasonic WhisperWall Fan - very quiet and effective

o

Our bath is not complete yet (nearly) but have some "happy" and "not so"

Happy: changed layout to move tub from side of room to the end under the window. Had long wanted to do this and was nearly talked out of it but we found a way to make it work and it is just as I had hoped!

We're using Suntouch floor Heating, Toto (Mercer) because of what I learned on this thread.

Keeping the palette simple -- white Johnson Minton Hollins subway tiles -- totally flat like the old ones were, and carrara floors, tub surround and washstand. There were many temptations to get fancy and I'm so glad I resisted. The room is spare and elegant.

Was nervous about ordering so many things from Restoration Hardware, online, site unseen, but the quality has been great. We got sconces, a marble topped washstand, faucets and fittings, and medicine chest. Basically lifted the "gramercy sink" setting right out of the catalog.

Most important -- did extensive planning -- made my own drawings of layout and details down to the number of rows and columns of tiles. Despite all this there were a couple of little glitches. You cannot do too much advance planning.

Biggest mistake -- hiring the contractor who had done projects around the house for thirty years. Roof, basement, studio, terrace and on and on. I don't know what happened but this job was a debacle. For one thing, he rushed through doing tile himself, did not dry lay, was not careful with spacing. We tore out tile, in disbelief and wound up terminating him. After we had paid him much too much and could not recover. We then hired really good people with an excellent tile guy and things are going well. The lesson is -- hire the best and check out the subs.

o

Two years later, I can say I still love my Moen valve that works so well but Toto is the winner for everyone. We cannot imagine have another toilet after having the Toto's. We have 3 toilets inside and the old one outside in the shop and there is such a difference. Now we are going to put a Toto in the shop. Not that it is used all that often but when it is, it needs to not worry me about whether or not it is really flushing. I have gotten spoiled with the Toto toilets.

o

This was new rather than remodel, but I hope I can contribute my favorites anyway . . .

Toto Carlyle with Washlet
Outlet in cupboard for DH's razor
Kitchen counter height vanities
Rainhead shower plus bar with hand-held
Open-arm TP holder (other people can actually replace an empty roll!! Amazing!!)
Glass block walk-in shower
Splurged on decorative tile that I fell totally in love with . . . used just $350 worth and got a million bucks worth of bang. (pics on thread below)
Soaking tub with room on the deck for candles, oils, etc.

We'll do all those things in the new house (except that - sob - my tile is not available), and will correct the following mistakes:
We'll put in Thermostatic valves this time.
Will get a Whisper-warm heater this time -- I had to use a floor heater to warm the old one. Those are about the only things I didn't love about that bathroom!

Here is a link that might be useful: my shower tiles

o

Tiling around the toilet! So glad I did this, makes it so easy to clean.

Getting a whirlpool tub! Have always wanted one, and even though it is the guest bath, no room for it in the master, still worth it.

Putting in an outside pocket door, so much more room when not having to worry about door swing.

Laura

o

I am working on my remodel but one thing I did not read above and will add when I do my bathroom is add a niche in the wall next to toilet about a foot and half off of the floor and the size of a standard magazine with a bar running across the middle for magazine storage. Hate them in a rack on the floor near toilet.

o

We're starting on our third bathroom. Thanks for all the great advice.

I love the Bisazza mosaic tile we put all the way up to the ceiling in the shower/tubs in the 2 bathrooms we've done. We're using it again in the master. It's great to be surrounded by it in the shower!
But, I really agree with warnings about tilers. Ours was done by the contractor's buddy -- not a pro -- and it's a little too rustic!

o

Bumping this one up. I have been getting some great ideas! Thanks, everyone for sharing!

o

bump

o

This was for college aged daughter/guest bath:
Another whoo-hooo for heated floors. Ours are electric on a timer. Toasty.
Replaced vanity with floor to ceiling cabinet/drawers thus gaining room for comfort-height pedestal sink.
Toto comfort-height toilet with extra powerful flush.
Ripped out tub for large shower.
New vent installed through the roof instead of old vent which exhausted into attic ?!
Used Azek instead of wood wainscoting. More $, but this stuff is bulletproof, paintable, won't warp or shrink.
All that's left is shower door install!

o

1. heated floor
2. built-in laundry hamper (pull-out in vanity), so no more plastic baskets in the closet

3. OK, this is a wierd one, but I could not stand the thought of our white plastic Sonicare tootbrushes sitting out on our beautiful black Richlite countertops, so we had a receptacle added under the sink and put in a narrow shelf to hold the toothbrushes out of sight.

o

Question for lori inthenw?
Do you have a photo of the receptacle added under your sink for the Toothbrushes etc.? I was thinking of the same idea when I do my remodel. Thanks.

o

Our remodel's been done since just after Thanksgiving. But I still need to get the shower door - using a curtain right now.

I LOVE:

his and her matching furniture vanities. They were actually sold as night stands, but they're oversized - each is 33" wide and 32" tall, with three nice deep drawers each.

receptable behind the top drawer of each vanity. I have a surge protector extension cord in my top drawer that I keep my blow dryer plugged into. I LOVE that.

his and her matching recessed medicine cabinets.

receptables in both med cabs - holds our Sonicare toothbrushes and his shaver.

my clawfoot bathtub. I love baths and I love this bathtub. The recline on it is perfect for relaxing and reading.

heated floors - on a programmable timer. this is something I never would've chosen if it hadn't been for all the people on this forum who said they loved theirs.

a small better bench in the shower at the perfect height for resting a foot as I shave my legs.

A niche in the shower with an additonal shelf. The bottom is short for soap and razors. The top is nice and tall for my really tall shampoo and conditioner bottles.

I also love my tile work, which was a really big splurge. I feel happy everytime I enter the bathroom.

o

I think the best decision we made was to find a photo we loved online (here at GardenWeb!) and use that as our inspiration. There are so many choices out there it can be overwhelming, and having a great design scheme to start with, and adding touches to make it our own, really made it a lot easier and more fun.

We LOVE the white 4 x 4 tile 48 inches up the wall, with the marble chair rail and mosaic border.

And we were happy we kept the ca. 1954 wall heater, which adds a fun retro look, plus is very functional after all these years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our before-and-after photos

o

Oh a lovely thread!

We are right in the middle of our Master Bath remodel. We've made some decisions but can truly benefit from these comments. I do have some questions:

(1) What is a Toto toilet?
(2) We didn't go for the heated floor - are we going to hate that?
(3) What sort of window treatments have folks used on areas where there are large windows behind big tubs?
(4) What about those heated towel bars? We didn't order that either but there might be time to at least prepare for it.

I love the ideas here...
We have selected the granite, tile, are using "pebbles" in the shower floor and will go for an expansive vanity (for me) smaller for hubby.

Thanks for the ideas!

o

dee_sails - glad you asked the questions. Now I hope peeps arrive to answer. I'm in the planning stage of a main bath remodel and I've that same situation you note in #3. As well I'm considering the heated floor as I'm intending to install tile. Having a tile floor in my kitchen I know it can be pretty chilly in the winter. :-)

Toto toilets you can do both a search here on the bath forum and the same on Google. I believe you'll get quite a bit of info that way. I'm considering one but I want absolute assurance that it flushes well.

o

dee sails I can answer your question about Toto toilets, 3-4 years ago I did extensive research on toilets. I had 3 contractor ones in my home the early edition of low flow, which required a plunger close by. So many many hours/ days of research later found that Toto was the #1 toilet, I settled on a Skirted Carolina and can tell you it has only required the plunger 2 x in that amount of time and there was no huge blockage just a couple of plunges and away it went. I am remodeling my MB now and have my 2nd skirted Carolina on order, good news is now they are less expensive and the seat comes with it.

o

A few answers - we did do the heated floor, and do love it. I would add the caveat that you look at it closely - we did the wire kind instead of a mat and have some cold spots which we are fairly sure are due to irregular wire spacing. So if you do one, make sure to look well before you tile it!

We have a large window behind a tub and have faux wood blinds - you can close them as needed for privacy but easily reach up and open them once you're in the tub if you'd like to.

Haven't tried a heated towel bar, so no ideas there.

o

bowjet!! please explain why yuou would need a GFI outlet behind toilet? and really is the washlet not just a bidet? and whoever uses them can you tell me how they really work?? a stream of water and air hits your butt and then you wipe with paper which would stick or you use a towel??

please culture me in this??

o

The Toto Washlet has a dryer,too!

o

Aside from the fact that everything is new and lovely and functional, I think what made the most significant difference was the 10" diameter Solatubes we installed in the ceilings of two windowless bathrooms. The bathrooms are now so bright and cheery that we practically need sunglasses.

o

Best:
Buying rubber interlocking gym mats and laying them between the front door and the bathroom door. (I got mine at Costco but they are also sold at sporting goods stores.)

Worst:
Not buying enough mats. (I should have covered the living room floor that was used as a work area.)
Scheduling too much work at once. (I had the plumber and electrician working on the same day. The electrician was knocking holes in my walls/ceiling throughout my apartment and the plumber was walking through debris on his way to the bathroom. I should have insisted on a drop cloth for the plumber but was too distracted by other issues. I also assumed he knew what he was doing and wouldn't damage the floor.)

o

Did this thread get divided into another part? We're missing everything between Sun, Jul 12, 09 at 23:30 and Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 18:58. I have it saved to my computer so I know there are posts in between those two dates.

o
RE: What was your best bathroom remodeling decision?1

Bump

o

The forums on this site had a lot of technical problems in Feb/March with posts disappearing. Perhaps the back up they used to restore was dated before those posts. That's too bad .... should you post them as a new thread to restore the info?

o

Two more suggestions:

Best:
Putting bathroom stuff back in bathroom (temporarily) before bathroom was finished to see how stuff fit. Enabled me to make adjustments before contractor was finished.

Worst:
Not covering all fixtures immediately after installation and leaving them covered until the bathroom was completely done.

o

Bump

o

Bump

o

Best:
-attaching hand towel rings to sides of vanity for easy access but out of the way
-positioning outlets to the sides of vanity but below the counter level so are easily accessable but not visible
-shower corner shelves on inside wall so they are not seen unless you are in the shower

worst:
-placing hand shower too high
-wish I'd gotten a larger pocket door...the original was 24" and we moved it over a little so I was worried about not knowing how much larger I could go
-not realizing how dirty our bedroom and house would get until it was too late

o

bump

o

I'm pretty happy with most of the decisions...had lots of time to make them, so did lots of research here. Two of my favorites: Appliance garage for all that stuff that clutters up the counter so you can keep them plugged in.
g. ppliance garage

Adding a pocket door:
Bathroom

And I've already sung the praises here of my Fantech dual unit exhaust fan with halogen lights so they could be dimmed. I simply love how quiet and efficient it is.

Here are the rest of the photos if you're interested:

Here is a link that might be useful: Treetop Bathroom

o

The best of my half bath addition and the current full bath remodel:

* black penny tiles! they look awesome in my half bath
* removing the stupid & weird hallway closet to move the wall for the full bath, now we have room for a double sink vanity!
* double niches in the shower! one for DH and one for myself (I'll probably take over both of them soon)

does anyone have a sun tunnel skylight in their bathrooms? do you recommend it?

o

We have a Solatube sun tunnel in our main bathroom and LOVE it. There is no natural light in that room and it is unbelievable how much light it brings in (and the tube is 10' long to the roof). I also put in the exhaust and it works very well and love the integrated look.

We also put in 2 other tubes in our hallways. We plan on adding another Solatube next year in our half bath when we redo our roof (even though installation is mostly done on existing roofs). And down the pike, when we redo our shower, we plan on adding one over our shower because it is in its own room with the toilet. The window is in the main room with the vanities and jacuzzi.

You will NEVER regret adding one....or two...or three...or more!

o

susan: we put Solatubes in the kids' bathrooms and you're right - they're great!

Our other best idea was raising all the counter heights to 39". We're tall (the kids are in middle school and already 5'7" and 5'10"; DH and I are taller.)

Our old bathroom counters were only 33" tall. It was like washing your face down by your knees - it just wasn't comfortable. So now all the bathroom and kitchen counters are 39" high. Ahhhh - much more comfortable for us! (And we have more storage room too.)

o

Here is what is going on now, we are almost done converting a closet into a bathroom! Would love feedback on it! Click here to my blog Happy Renovations

Here is a link that might be useful: Happy Renovations

o

I would also add one very important decision we made after several disasters over the past two houses: rebuilding our shower/tub surround with "mud" underneath, that is concrete applied to a wire frame, rather than hardi-backer or cement board. The tiles are on the walls for a very long time. It is a strong, stable base, plus the shower pan will not leak for decades, if ever. This is the fundamentally best decision we made.... then the Solatubes. Then white tile. Elegant forever.

o

Bump

o

Heated stone floors!

o

Yup -- heated floor, for sure. I also love the open shelves by my sink for partially hidden storage for everyday items. Oh, and the handheld shower head. And the additional glass tiles around the tub-shower. And my Kohler Expanse tub.

Worst decision was Kohler Memoirs toilet. Should have gone with Toto. Kohler Kelston tub faucet has failed, too.

Another bad decision was the company I used to purchase fixtures. Woman was a complete idiot and got more wrong than right.

o

bump

o

We've renovated two bathrooms in the past two years, and an additional one in our old house 5 years ago. Although there are lots of things I love about the new bathrooms, the absolute #1 best decision was to install radiant heat under the tile floors. We did it the low budget way (DIY, we laid the electric cable -not mats- under self leveling compound, then tiled) so it cost less than $300 in materials for a small bathroom. They are on a timer. It is just sooooooo wonderful and luxurious to walk into the bathroom and have a cozy warm floor. Guests always comment on it, too :)

The second best thing, perhaps, are built-in shampoo niches. I LOVE the way they look, and that they keep shampoo bottles off the tub edges, ledges, and generally out of sight. We have multiple niches including tall, multi-shelved ones that hold a lot of stuff.

Third is bigger shower space. In the small hall bath we accomplished this by using a "Crescent Rod" for the shower curtain on a normal-sized tub. In the master, we made a 3 x 5 separate shower and a separate soaking tub.

Fourth is a good quality handheld shower on a slide bar. In our master we have one in addition to a regular showerhead; in the hall bath it's INSTEAD of a regular showerhead.

o
Our Best Decision

Our best decision was hiring a designer and general contractor with the skills necessary to renovate our 1982 master bathroom, with its Olympic-size bath tub "time machine".

Literally, an entire ton of tile was removed, an immense tub so large midgets could easily swim laps....

Here is a link that might be useful: Master bathroom renovation underway...

o

Getting in touch with a friend in Europe. She gave me the address of the website that supplies her plumber with the cheapest little bathroom makeover/upgrade you have ever seen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basin/sink overflow covers

o

My best decision (in addition to many of the others cited in this thread--Toto washlet, heated floors, etc., etc., etc.) was putting two separate hampers in my double vanity--one for darks and one for lights. Doing laundry is so much easier now--virtually no separating required. We have a five bank vanity. On the extreme left and right we have a shallow drawer with a hamper underneath. Under the sinks are two pullout shelves. The middle is a bank of stacked drawears.

o

Installing a variety of lighting options, each on their own switch. Our electrician had a lot on input on this- lighting is 'art' to him. We used good Lutron equipment.. worth every (extra) penny!

there are 3 vanity lights on a dimmer, can light over the toilet, lit makeup mirror, a ceiling fixture, tub reading light on a dimmer, tiny LED lights throughout the bathroom and shower niche and 2 fantech dimmable halogens in the shower. We also put a dimmable motion sensor in the master closet so the light turns on as you're opening the pocket door.

Tied for first would be the bain ultra tub with lights.

2nd would be the beverage fridge. A close 3rd, the in-wall stereo/ipod/cd player with ceiling speakers.

Biggest regret is not putting in a heated floor. A friend kind of talked us out of it and we thought about it a lot this past winter. I'm sure I won't miss it in the heat of summer!

o

So much good advice here! A few things I am happy about - we nixed the fireplace in the master bedroom, which helped to square off and enlarge the master bath because we did not have to accommodate a chimney (I am thankful for that everyday since I use the bath every day but would not have used the fireplace that much).

We went with a high end, low profile glass door but not a frameless door. Since our shower is not huge, I do not even notice the difference but it saved us $1k.

We went with custom cabs which maximized our storage. It also enabled me to hide the outlets in the cabinets - which cleaned up the aesthetics and is perfect for toothbrush chargers, etc.. (I love having my hairdryer already plugged in, so I can just grab it in the morning).

We added a skylight at the last minute and I love being able to look up at night and see the stars - our roof has a high pitch so leaves, etc blow off and it does not get dirty from all the trees (which is something I was worried about).

After having shared a bath with two little boys (we live in a 1920's colonial) it is heaven on earth to have a spacious masterbath. It was worth the 7 year wait!

o

very smart question...its good to do careful planing.
whan my clients ask me what to add in terms of bath accessories i usually recommend the flooring heating system.
i refer my clients to this unique web site shop...
they got some nice hard to find stuff

Here is a link that might be useful: For bath remodeling

o

Just_julie: Tell me about this "in-wall stereo/ipod/cd player with ceiling speakers" that you included in your bathroom! I've been wanting to find something like that. Can you share pictures? Information about what you bought and how it's installed? Thanks!

o

We are in the process of remodeling a bathroom. The skylight over the shower has been installed and I totally love it. It's 2'x 2'. We are putting an outdoor/wet rated light fixture on the wall. I am waiting for my second sky light that will go over the vanity. It is 30"x17". We got Velux, frosted skylights.

o

My best decisions were as follows:

--Kohler Mendota cast iron tub
--Carrara marble look-a-like tiles in the tub surround
--Moen Curved shower rod instead of a glass door
--Expresso Framed mirror

o

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here