Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gary1227

Our New Catarina Coliseum White tile

gary1227
15 years ago

We are just about to wrap our new construction build and our new master bath has turned out beautifully using the American Olean Catarina Coliseum white tiles.

We wanted the look of marble without the maintenance issues of real stone and we are very happy with this porcelain and ceramic product.

Here are are a few photos:

Materials used:

Floor Tile: AO Catarina Coliseum White Porcelain Matt Finish 12x12 Tiles

Wall Tile: AO Catarina Coliseum White Ceramic Polished 8x10 Tiles

Accent Tile: White Carrara Marble 12" Chair Rail

Vanity countertops and shower wall ledges: Caeserstone "Pebble" in polished finish

Faucets/Shower Heads: Danze

Shower Control: Hans Grohe

Hardware/Towel Bars/Lighting: Restoration Hardware

Tub: Toto 6ft AirJet Tub

Toilet: Toto

Comments (35)

• jdechris
    15 years ago

Your bathroom looks beautiful! and very classic

How does the pricing of the porcelain & ceramic tile compare to that of authentic marble?

How large is your shower? Your bathroom looks great

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Beautiful! What's your vanity?

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    15 years ago

I love your bathroom, its gorgeous!!!! Im also wondering about the pricing of the tiles you chose.

• lilathabit
    15 years ago

How pretty! Your bathroom looks very peaceful and relaxing.

I am planning on using the 12 x 12 honed for flooring. But I also want a cararra vanity top. Hope they'll look good together.

• megradek
    15 years ago

looks great! Really like the countertop with the tile. I'm using that tile as well in a guest bath and I just love how it's coming together. I'll post pics too! congrats and enjoy the beautiful space.

• gary1227
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all for the compliments. We are very happy with the outcome of our master bath.

We paid $2.20sqft. for both the wall and floor tiles. Compared to about $10 a sqft for real marble, the faux product is quite a bargain.

We paid $7.50 per 12inch piece for the Carrera marble chair rails. I think I paid almost as much for the accent pieces as I did for all the tile.

The vanity is Kraftmaid in maple with dove white paint.

Our shower is approximately 3'x5'

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks!

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

congratulations on the new bathroom. we have somethng in common. i am almost done with the catarina coliseum whte tile for my bathroom. i used 10x13 for the wall and the 12x12 matte for the floor. In my area they did not have 8x10. The look is high end without the price tag and easy to clean!

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

Would you mind telling me the color paint you used? It's very pretty. (Whole bathroom is gorgeous btw!)

• dreamywhite
    15 years ago

Also where did you purchase the tile from at this great price of $2.20 sq foot

• gary1227
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dreamywhite: Our tile installer bought the tile through a local distributer (Virginia Tile) and he passed his cost on to us. I think the retail prices of the tiles were around $2.65-$2.85sqft.

The wall tiles we used were actually 10x13 not 8x10 as I originally specified.

• golddust
    15 years ago

gary,

What did you use on your shower floor? Beautiful and reasonable to boot! We're at a standstill with our shower right now. Waiting for the money tree to bloom but we just had our flooring installed and will have a sink, tub and toilet very soon.

• gary1227
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The shower floor is Catarina Coliseum White 1x1 Mosiac. The mosiac tiles are more expensive. We paid $12.10sqft for them.
    Our paint is Benjamin Moore Affinity Series. I will have post back with the color name/number

• hudsonleigh
    15 years ago

That is one beautiful bathroom!

• gary1227
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The bathroom paint color is Benjamin Moore Affinity Series #515 Exhale

• pamelas_kitchen
    15 years ago

Thanks so much!

• megan521
    15 years ago

I love your bathroom! We are seriously considering the same tile for our bathroom remodel. A question -- we are considering a vanity in cherry wood, with a Carrera marble top. I'm wondering if this would look funny next to the Coliseum white tile. Would the Carrera top make the coliseum white look "fake"? I notice you incorporated some real marble as a chair rail and it looks nice against the tile.
    Also, is the tile slippery? We are using it in our hall bathroom (which kids will use). Thank you!

• clg7067
    14 years ago

It's not stone? Then I found my powder room tile!

• gary1227
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Megan:

The floor tiles are not slippery and have a hoaned finish. The wall tiles are polished and not for floor use.

We though about using Carrera marble for our vanity top but the sample slabs we looked at just didn't look quite right next to the Catarina tile.

• joan51
    14 years ago

Hi - your bathroom is gorgeous! I ordered the same tile for my bath and kitchen floors and am wondering what color grout you used. I am not sure if I should go bold with black or stick to a more neutral gray or sterling. I noticed you have a Toto toilet - my new Toto Soiree is still sitting in the box in my living room! How do you like it? It's my first one and the reviews are so wonderful about how easy it is to clean, I just HAD to have it!

Thanks,
    Joan

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    14 years ago

joan51
    which catarina tiles are you using for your kitchen floor?

catarina coloseum white is my favorte tile. It is in my bathroom.

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    14 years ago

bump

• valleigh
    14 years ago

Gary,
    That's a beautiful bathroom and I really like the vanity. May I ask was it custom, semi-custom and do you know approx. how much you paid for that cabinetry. We are in the bathroom budgeting process now.
    Thanks.

• joan51
    14 years ago

Gitananoel - I'm using the Coliseum White for both kitchen and bathroom floors. Glad you like yours - what color grout did you use? How do you think black would look? Thanks

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    14 years ago

Hi Joan
    I used a bright white grout for walls and floor. Nothing special. I wanted to keep it simple.

• joan51
    14 years ago

Ok, thanks, Gitananoel! I like simple too, but I also like a bold look with the black - I am sick of making decisions - lol - I wish I could go away for a couple of months, come back and have it ALL DONE!!! I am told when my floor tile goes in and then the toilet, I WILL have to go away since I only have the one bathroom and I guess the tile has to "sit" for a couple of days. Good grief, why did I start this? Because, I keep saying, it's all worth it in the end.

• jbradshaw
    14 years ago

very pretty

• dinkledoodle
    14 years ago

Exhale is the perfect color name. I just want to exhale and sink back in that wonderful airjet tub. I love the room!

• gary1227
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Joan51 - The grout color we used is a medium grey.

Hi Valleigh - Our vanity cabinets are stock Kraftmaid in "Dove" white painted maple. I think we paid about $1400

• joan51
    14 years ago

Thanks Gary! I ended up picking out the grout color called "DeLorean Gray" which is also a medium - hope it looks as good as yours!

• bellcrest
    14 years ago

This bathroom is beautiful! I hope you don't mind, but I have stolen your photos to put into my inspiration file.

We are looking to redo our 35 year old only bathroom. I love what you have done with yours.

• jmcreque
    14 years ago

Gary, what are the dimensions of your bathroom? It looks like a layout we were considering for ours. We thought it would be cramped, but yours looks so wonderfully spacious. Just beautiful.

• gary1227
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our masterbath is approximately 9'6" x 12'6" with a 2'x3' indentation next to vanity. The bathroom is very spacious even with the 3'x5' shower enclosure and 6ft airjet tub.

• firsthome2010
    13 years ago

Hi gary1227,

I know it's been awhile but I was looking for photos of the coliseum white 1x1 mosaic tiles installed and found your bathroom. How beautiful! Do you think you could post a photo of the shower floor? It would be so helpful! Thanks!

• deanna_phx
    13 years ago

We recently did our master bathroom with this tile on floor and the wall tile in the shower. Looks beautiful!

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus