Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valerie_l_gw

Jetted tub doesn't work. :(

Valerie-L
10 years ago

I had my house built in 2007, and have always loved my jetted tub. I haven't used it as much in the past year, though, since the jets stopped working. When I push the button, the unit will turn on and there is a little suction at the intake, but nothing at all comes out of the jets. Anyone have ideas about what might be the problem?

Comments (8)

• mmcf
    10 years ago

Wow, thanks monogct!
    I'm not the OP, but I'm clipping this for future reference just in case!

• Valerie-L
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information! However, I know very little about how the thing works, so I'm not sure where to find all the parts you're talking about. There's an access panel (although it's behind a full bookcase...), so I'll get in there and see what I can find. With a set of instructions, I'm a wonderful DIYer... but I have a hard time trouble shooting things I'm not familiar with.

It's not the GFCI. Even though it's getting some power, that's the first thing I tried. The motor sounds like it's running normally, but much quieter since there's no air being propelled into the water. Where should the impeller/bleed ports be? What do they look like? With the access door as small as it is, would I be able to tell whether the hoses are kinked?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. :)

• realtrrldy
    10 years ago

In my jetted tub (circa 1986) there is a knob on the side of the tub that you turn to let air in. My home inspector said my tub didn't work, but a repair man I had in years later looked at it, turned the knob and voila! I sell houses and have since been able to show a few inspectors how to work the tub, lol!

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

My initial reply was sort of a shotgun reply. A scattering of information.

Your best bet is to identify the make, and if possible, the model of your tub. Then you can go to the manufacturers website and they'll usually have the original installation manuals online in pdf format. You can look through that manual to identify what features your tub does and does not have.

If there are no identifying features on the "show side" of the tub, when you remove the access panel and poke your head inside there should be identifying information on or near the motor.

• Valerie-L
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mongoct, thanks again for the reply. I know it's a Royal tub, and have perused their website, but have come up short in terms of installation or user manuals. I e-mailed the company, and hopefully they can provide support.

Realtrrldy, I only have 2 items on the side of my tub--one is the push button that turns the whole thing on, and the other is a knob that allows you to adjust the strength of the jets. Is this the one you're referring to, or should I look for another one somewhere?

• hopeburns2005
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I know this is an older thread - I also have a jetted tub in the master on the main floor (over the basement) I was running it to clean out the jets - went down to tthe basement - and found it was leaking. Called my usual plumber - he took the front panel off the tub and saw where the motor was leaking. He said it would take a couple of weeks to get the motor - that was 2 months ago. Either he's incredibly busy or in a little over his head with this & just doesn't want to tell me :-) I'm not sure of the jetted tub manufacturer - my home was built in 2006 - I'm the original owner. What type of plumber or repair service would you suggest calling ?? Thank you!

• PRO
    By Any Design Ltd.
    8 years ago

Fixing these tubs is a beast of a job and that is if you have perfect access to the leaking parts. I would call a number of plunging out fits and the maker of the tub and hope that someone is free.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living