Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
codnuggets

I don't get the washlet

codnuggets
16 years ago

I understand the features and the intended benfefits, I just can't buy into the concept in principle. Having never used one, I can't speak personally for its effectiveness, but I don't see how a spray of water and a blast of air can create cleanliness. Is that even the main reason for the washlet, or is it more a therapeutic novelty? My only frame of reference I can draw on for comparison is that when my I get something on my hands while cooking, it doesn't wash off by sticking it under the tap. There's almost always some soap and/or rubbing involved.

I'm very ignorant of your washlet world. Please share your insight so I can stop thinking badly of something I know nothing about. I tried to read up on previous posts, but the search function isn't cooperating.

Thanks,

Joe

Comments (90)

• bonnieg011
    16 years ago

Well, I just got a price of $975 for the S300 washlet in the sedona. And that is with a 35% discount of list. The whites definitely cost less.

• gabedad
    16 years ago

I love our washlet. So does everyone that tries it. Kids especially. If you really think of it - what better hygine for a kid.

Some of my guys friends were apprehensive to try it but thought it was great once they did. We had a party with about 70 people or so in the house. The funniest thing was walking around and hearing "did you try the toilet?"

I got our s300 on ebay for $635 for elongated sedona - very good price.

if you act fast you may get one cheaper

Here is a link that might be useful: JASMINE WASHLET

• peggross1
    16 years ago

While planning a complete renovation I originally planned for a toilet and bidet in the master bath toilet room. Then I read about the washlet on GW and thought it'd be better to have it all in one on the toilet and not to have two bowls to clean each week. Plus, if we found we didn't like the bidet experience, we could always remove the washlet and replace it with the regular toilet seat.

Another big plus, imo, is not having to do a squat-dance from a toilet to a bidet for the cleaning. That, and the fact that the water from the washlet is pre-warmed and it would have to run to get warm from a bidet. Major time and comfort saver imo.

It's not installed yet; sheetrock going up this week, but I'm looking forward to checking it out!

• westsider40
    16 years ago

OOOOOh, it's so cold in Chicagoland.,,,and our house faces west.....open to the elements....and there are no houses to block the mean cold wind that buffetts(sorry buffettgirl) our poor abode, But, big but(OR bUTT) as you wish, when you sit down on the warmed seat Toto, all I can say is ooooohhhhh! Even my skinny dh likes the warm!!!!! I'll have to remember this in June!!!!!! OOOOhhh nice &warm

• brendamc
    16 years ago

Having a hard time navigating Toto's site - seems to work the 1st time, then not thereafter. My question is does the washlet attach to most any toilet, or are there certain specifications?

Can't talk DH into one now, so still going with the Kohler Portrait, but I'm hoping that at a later date...

• kailuamom
    16 years ago

I just explanied this thread to my 12 year old son. We spent two weeks in Japan this Spring.

He said "OH MY GOD MOM, tell them to get one. Can we get one?"

The washlet was a huge hit with all of us. They were everywhere, hotel, dept. stores, even Starbucks!

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Kailuamom, What a brilliant child. The next Bill Gates!!!!

• kailuamom
    16 years ago

Thanks - That's exactly what he says! Right after that, he says "nerds will rule the earth!".

Our defense against the popular kids!

• hearonhouse
    16 years ago

OK my nine year old is hearing me laugh over this thread...so I can be brave enough to ask...do you still need tp in the bathroom? How do you clean the water hose to make sure everything stays sanitary. I would be scared to death to use one of these in a public restroom because the water hose could have all kinds of germs on it. I admit that toilet water even in the tank grosses me out so I cannot imagine having toilet water sprayed on my bum. And for those who have the bum towels...where do your guests put them when they are done? Sounds icky even if they just washed. Very curious.

• westsider40
    16 years ago

Hi needssleep, Yes, we still need tp. I will be candid. Monica, close your eyes and don't read this or you will call me a potty mouth and that's not nice.
    Still need tp for back and front. After tp for the macroscopic residuals, then use the washlet for the micro(and larger) leftover particles.(How else can I say this?) If you have time or feel the need for soap, then wet your bottoms with washlet, soap up, use your hand just like you do in the shower, if you use bar soap, and then rinse off with washlet. I still find it necessary to dry somewhat with tp, and then you can do the final dry with washlet dryer. Sounds more complicated than it is.
    Most homeowners with washlets or bidets, imo, do not make provisions for guests to use these devices. I think it's for the owner's personal use. Of course, I may be wrong here, but, GENERALLY, not for guests. Best friends and for giggles and novelty, sure. As someone said they have a basket with freshly laundered hand towels. After towel use, toss in hamper. As a practical matter, the towel is not filthy disusting dirty because it's use is just to dry a reasonably cleaned bottom. The used tp, used pre-washlet, is the poop or pee dirty item in this scenario.

And Monica or Mongo are the resident experts in cleaning the wand. The wand is the water squirter and the wand pops out and retracts at the push of a button. The wand is hidden and protected while the sitter is eliminating. Is it clinically sterile? Not likely, but then, what is? (Tell me that I was brave and gutsy...I need to hear it!)

• homepro01
    16 years ago

I will reveal myself, I also own a Jasmin S300 washlet. I love it. The washlet ward, has a self cleaning mode before it is used everytime. There is no issue with having other people use your bathroom when you have a washlet. The water that goes to the washlet seat does not come from the toilet tank. You split the water line that goes into the tank and the water goes directly to the seat. The water does not sit around in the toilet tank first.

I purchased my washlet online, I can't think of the name of the store right now but they were out of Nebraska and it cost about $700 shipped.

Good luck!

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

homepro, could it be ewins.com? They're in NE. That's where I got mine as well. They were $650+ish I believe. Thank you for the information concerning the water (not coming from the holding tank). I sure thought I read somewhere that it did (and was surprised!) and to even purge the water if you're going to be gone 2 weeks or more. I can't find my manual right now :(
    needsleepmommy, I think the need for tp varies from person to person. I use MUCH less.
    Monica

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

OK, found my manual and see where I *thought* it mentioned that the water came from the tank. I feel better knowing it doesn't!

"when you plan not to use the washlet for a long time (longer than 14 days) or for long term storage, close the junction valve, drain the water from the main unit and unplug the power cord (see page 42)"

• cindyasahi
    16 years ago

Have lived in Japan for over 20 years and love the washlet toilet seats. We put a Toto washlet in our new home in the states in 2001 and love it. As far as I noticed no has mentioned a huge advantage to the elderly, physically handicapped and others who find daily showering/bathing to be difficult. Would be a plus in nursing homes I would think.

• hearonhouse
    16 years ago

Westsider...you are very brave and gutsy....where else could I find out about this...very informational. Many thanks for your candid response.

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

cindyasahi, my (and my mother's) on/off physical limitations was the first consideration when I learned of the Washlet. I'm sure I wrote about it months ago. I have MS and back problems. I never know from one day to the next how I'm going to be affected. Mom has a very bad back, and at the time we purchased ours, was about to have carpal tunnel surgery. A bidet seat could be a HUGE help for many, young and old, with physical limitations. I'm glad you mentioned it :)
    Monica

• plants4
    16 years ago

Without attempting to hijack this thread, could someone describe the pros and cons of different types of bidets -- where the water comes from ("vertical spray" and "deck mount")and something that I think is called the suction breaker device. Vertical sprays sound potentially cold and potentially messy.

And do you have to have bidet-specific faucets?

• codnuggets
    Original Author
    16 years ago

For the record, I get the washlet now :)

Thank you all for your comments, both candid and not-so-candid. There are some things that can not be polished while still conveying your point. Carry on posting, it's really quite interesting and enjoyable.

Joe

• puppysan
    16 years ago

Well, I love the washlet idea.. nothing cleans better than water, but no one said where the hot water was coming from? I see that the toilets only get one pipe (the cold one). So does the washlet heat up the cold water, or do we have to have the hot water going to the toilet also? (We're building a new house, ut already past sheetrock and tile, so even if i could beg DH for a washlet, new plumbing will be tough). I'm sure it'd serve to ake me up in the mornings, but a blast of icy cold water on my behind? Someone explain please!

• homepro01
    16 years ago

Puppysan,
    The washlet heats the water and the seat. It is pure joy and luxury. The only thing you need is an electrical outlet close to the toilet, I think within 6feet of the toilet because the washlet needs an electrical outlet.

Monicakm,
    It was Ewins and they had really good and fast service.

• Maru, 5b
    16 years ago

I find washlets to be a necessity because I'm not at all comfortable with wiping off using just a dry toilet paper even when I follow it up with feminine wipes. I do always couple the use of a washlet with washing with soap (as described by westsider40).

You might find it interesting that in parts of Asian countries that are not so metropolitan, you'll find local folks using soap and water to clean themselves. You won't find a washlet but they've managed with either (1) a dipper to scoop up water or (2) hose attachment to spray water.

• cpanther95
    16 years ago

I'm waiting for the inevitable post from someone that got caught in a compromising position trying to perform the "peanut butter test".

As far as the washlet - after becoming a baby wipe convert, I'm no longer closed off from considering anything that might conflict with conventional bathroom wisdom.

• collage5
    15 years ago

After reading through this thread, I'm convinced--we're getting a washlet for our Toto Nexus that will go in our master bath. Now, however, I'm trying to decide among Toto's 4 models. There's the basic C100 (no remote), the E200, S300 and the S400. I'm trying to decide between the E200 and the S300, the latter of which seems to have the added feature of an automatic air purifier. Anyone who has any of these care to comment? How to decide? Can't wait to actually try one, after all this endorsement!

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

The S300 has an air deodorizer. You can turn it on as needed or set it to come on when you sit down. It works very well.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    15 years ago

"Mrs Lazarus" works for a major plumbing/AC company. She and the other two ladies in the showroom were given S300's for their home use by Toto. Great marketing ploy, eh? "If you use one, you're more likely to sell them!"

After having it for almost a year, gotta say I love it. It eleminates the need for "tp" about 98% of the time...

Yes, the air filter is worthwhile.

The water connection is split off the valve and the heated water comes in fresh, not out of the tank.

It's a very hygenic and well thought-out design. If you try one, you'll probably want one! Yeah, we got a deal on this one....but I would pay the price for one, knowing what I know now.

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

I can FINALLY, after months of looking at the Washlet in its box, add to this thread. Which was very helpful to me in deciding to make my purchase.

In my previous home, I had a seperate bidet, which I loved very much. This home had no room for a seperate bidet, even with the bathroom remodel.

I'll give my review as delicately as possible. It's the S300, an add-on to the Toto UltraMax with SanaGloss.

On one hand, the Washlet is not as nice as the freestanding bidet, because with those, it's easier to sit with your front facing the water, and the water stream is "thicker", so you can perform a thorough bath for your undercarriage :-). On the other hand, you don't have to hop off the toilet and over to the bidet to get clean. A definite plus. And the water stream is strong enough to still clean very well.

If the water stream isn't hitting exactly where you would like, it's as simple as shifting your body slightly, instead of adjusting the spray as you might with a traditional bidet faucet. You can choose rear cleaning, rear cleaning soft, or front cleaning. Along with some rhythm options, such as pulsating and oscillating.

Do not expect the dryer to get you dry unless you are planning to sit there a long time. I don't know how long it would take, as I haven't the patience. I blot with toilet paper to get the water droplets, then let the dryer take care of whatever dampness remains, which is only a few seconds longer. 10, maybe?

Just now I asked DH what he thinks about the Washlet. "I like it", he said. "Can you elaborate", I prodded, to which he replied, kind of slowly, "What do you mean?" So there you go :-)

Just another testimonial...

Joanna

• dedtired
    15 years ago

So what do washlets cost compared to a high quality regular old toilet?

• brugloverZ9
    15 years ago

Enjoyed this post...I had some of the same questions.
    When I first saw the washlet, I thought the cleaning features were for cleaning the toilet, not the person sitting on it! What a surprise it was to me to learn the truth!
    Never tried one, but would love to...sounds like I am missing something in my new BR !!

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

Dedtired, the Washlet is a seat, not a toilet, so you can add it onto any standard toilet in place of a regular seat. The Washlet I chose, the s300, seems to be, on average, about $600. The toilet we put it on, a Toto UltraMax one piece, was about $400 (I think).

Joana

• toadangel
    15 years ago

ok - i have another question... (sorry jane doe). i understand now that some (maybe many? all?) people use their hand & possibly soap when they use a bidet, almost like a mini washcloth-less shower for the nether regions.

with the washlet, is that expected as well? or is the water stream itself enough for all but the peanutiest of situations? :)

lisa

• katy_texas
    15 years ago

YouTube has several videos featuring the Washlet. I am unsure as to why anyone would make such a video and then post it for the world to see. The link below is from a guy who loves his Washlet dearly and isn't afraid to admit it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hodding Carter & the TOTO Washlet - a love story

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

OK, Mr/Ms toadangel...the first part of your inquiry didn't set too well as I was enjoying my leftover meatloaf and new potato lunch but at least it stayed IN my mouth. I wasn't so lucky with the second part. Now that I have the meatloaf wiped off my computer screen and keyboard :o I can answer on behalf of my personal experience. I don't think there has been more than 2-3 occassions that I felt the need to supplement the posterior wash with t-paper. Can we just leave it at that? Just buy the darn thing. I promise, you won't be sorry especially if you're a "Ms" toadangel.
    Jane Doe

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

Sorry about your dinner, Monica :-)

It's hard to answer questions like this...I mean, I haven't tried it under all circumstances...I didn't roll in tar and feathers and see if the washlet could get that off. I didn't try cleaning my lasagna pans in it. For what it's intended to do, which is give you a clean bum, it works just fine.

Listen. It's immensely better than dry TP. A lot better than baby wipes. It's not as good as a hot steam shower with soap and a hand-held sprayer. Know what I mean?

I heart my Washlet.

Joanna

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

I really can't go into more detail without forever ruining my image as a fragrant, delicate, ethereal redhead who is never bothered by such human quirks as digestion or reproduction cycles.

Which reminds me that I have to get my roots done. And go fix dinner :-)

Joanna

• toadangel
    15 years ago

hahaha :) monica, you should know better than to read a washlet post while eating meatloaf :) i take no responsibility for pieces remaining on your monitor

i am indeed a girl toad (my name is signed 'lisa' on most posts, but i guess names can really mean anything these days). i am still reluctant to use my tax stim money on this - my empty finished basement is longing for furniture too, and i would love to get quartz countertops for my kitchen. i wasn't going to ask any more - i am convinced i'd love it, but then my friend told me about how bidets get used, with the whole soap & hand washing thing, which kinda freaked me out. i wasn't sure i wanted to commit to that much, um, involvement each time i used the washlet. so i just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing a big piece of the story in all the clear-as-mud fog :)

thanks guys. i'm going to check out that video one of these days, too. not while eating meatloaf though ;)

lisa

• collage5
    15 years ago

That you tube video was too funny...just can't imagine making it and posting it for the world to see!!

Tradewind: I've been looking around and the least expensive S300 I can find is $775. Care to share where you've found one for $600? Thanks!

• tradewind_64
    15 years ago

collage, upon further research, it does indeed seem like many places are charging between $700 - $900. I obviously am quite mistaken about my $600 average, so either they have gone up since I bought mine, or else I am not remembering how much the average was when I was shopping for mine. At any rate, here's a place to get them for $619 :-)

Joanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Washlet $619.00

• PRO
    15 years ago

Just buy the damn thing. You'll love it.

• vicki2201
    15 years ago

I came across this thread while searching the bathroom forum for installing sinks! Very interesting thread, I just have to add my two cents.

I grew up in the Philippines (in the 60's) and our shared bathroom had a toilet that was retrofitted with a small tube that sprayed water upward--specifically pointing in the right direction (after #2), if you know what I mean. It was effective for getting the bottom clean, and not wasting a lot of TP.

Moving to a new house in the late 70's, we were able to install bidets in some bathrooms. We favored the fountain sprays as opposed to the one which had a faucet. We had always used the bidet by sitting on it the same way you would a toilet. It surprised me years later to find out that Europeans use it by straddling the bidet, facing the bidet controls. Having to transfer from toilet to bidet was a hassle, but having a bidet had become a necessity since we got so used to a water stream in "that area".

Fast forward to the 2000's. Most homes I know don't even bother with the bidet anymore because what has become very popular here is a "bidet hand spray". It's like a kitchen spray that is connected to the side of your toilet, to use whenever you felt like an extra blast of water would be useful. A bunch of rolled face (should I say "bum") towels sits next to a bench beside my toilet.

The hand spray is easily retrofitted to an existing toilet by using a valve that has two outlets--one for the toilet and one for the spray. With the new homes that use "gray water" for flushing toilets, many have just plumbed in another cold water line where the hand bidet would be connected. Now even the guest and powder rooms usually have this feature since it's so inexpensive to add.

A handspray is cheap--from $8 to $30 depending on brand and material (plastic, chrome-plated brass, etc). The only downside we've experienced is if the water pressure is too strong, and the valve is not shut off before leaving the house for vacation, the hose can break and flood your bathroom. That would do a lot of damage to wooden floors and sheet rock. But if you know this, and keep the pressure at medium at all times, shut valve off in long absences, it should be fine.

Bidet sales have almost vanished here, even in the most high end homes, giving way to these hand sprays. I was trying to put in a picture but I don't know how to, so just google "bidet hand spray" and you'll see what they look like.

I'm not sure if they carry bidet hand showers now in Lowe's of HD--but I've actually sent these over (together with the retrofit valves) to some cousins in the States.

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

Bump

This thread was awesome... still laughing!

I am anxiously working towards finishing so mine can get hooked up...

Bill, glad you dodged a bullet, Mongo... pigs, eh.. that wouldn't go over well in your neck of the woods.

Jane Doe... sorry to revive it!! But I just roared at that youtube video. DH was just shaking his head. I have tried to explain my excitement about my expensive toilet set to friends, it has made for quite the cocktail party conversation piece!

• PRO
    15 years ago

Basic washlets just "wash". No drying.

Mongoct...not to argue, but the "Washlet" DOES dry also. I know...we have one.
  • MongoCT
    15 years ago

lazarususa,

"Mongoct...not to argue, but the "Washlet" DOES dry also. I know...we have one."

No worries or arguments, my entire sentence was: "Basic washlets just "wash". No drying. Fancier ones wash and dry."

For example, Toto's least expensive washlet does not offer warm air drying. Their more expensive washlets, including your S300, do.

Best, Mongo

• downtowner
    15 years ago

After installing our Neorest (contractor managed to drop the base and smash it, so we had to get a replacement), DW has insisted on getting a Washlet for the guest bathroom.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

I had out of town company (family) here for Thanksgiving. None of them had seen our remodel. One sister in law was going home and talking her husband into getting a Bain Ultra air tub. The other was going to get a Washlet if it was the last thing she did! :)
    Monica

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

So are they on sale any where? What is a fair price for the 400, is that the newest model? I've seen a $500 dollar dif in price, how can there be that big a range. Are there more than one model of 400 outside of elongated and round, or color? I would like to buy several for a nursing home, just want the price to be fair.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Are they designed to install on any toilet or only on Toto's?

• pepperidge_farm
    15 years ago

I am just putting in my order finally today!!!! If you just google the part number, you will get a handful of links that you can price comparison shop...

On the Toto website they have a fit chart, mostly the issue as I understand is with toilets that have curved backs, but you should double check. Also, the 400 seems to have more options with regard to which toilet you use, so make sure you look at the toto site! www.washlet.com

I found the following source to have a great deal with regard to the bottom line price:

Here is a link that might be useful: Toto source

• golddust
    15 years ago

Thanks to this thread, I decided to purchase the Neorest 500 for our upstairs bathroom - before our electrician/plumber left the job. I got it on Ebay for $1026.00. The seller ships within 20 business days (Max's Plumbing) so if you can wait that long, it was a great deal.

It's hardly going to fit into our 1912 era vintage inspired bathroom but a pony wall will take care of that.