Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreambuilder_gw

Air tub vs. Jet tub Need recommendations

dreambuilder
11 years ago

I take a bath nightly--I love my bath--only 'me' time I get! I like the feel of a whirlpool bath with water jets but I don't want to clean it all the time and have gunk come out. I want to use bubble bath, epsom salt, etc. I know that the sanijet tubs (air tubs) are favorites on here but I read that the water cools off quickly and that people are having trouble with them being loud and still having gunk come out? What is a tub that is going to stay warm (I don't mind buying an inline heater), is going to be easy to keep clean and can let me use bath products? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Sanijets are not air tubs, they are individual jets that move the water like a whirlpool. Never have seen any gunk...not sure how there could be, there are no pipes for it to hide. I believe you can actually put the jets in the dishwasher to clean them, but I never have had to.

Sorry, I can't speak to the noise compared to others, nor to water cooling compared to other units - since those kinds of things are pretty relative and subjective. But would think you could do extra insulation around it that would ensure both quietness and warmth. I really do love mine.

• mmcf
    11 years ago

Dreambuilder - I went through many of the same thoughts as you. I do prefer the feel of water jets over an air bath. I seriously considered a Sanijet but had concerns after reading of another GWer having to replace motors... after having leaks! (in my install detecting leaks would be difficult). Then I saw one in person and was put off by what looks exactly like a drip tray underneath the tub. The Sanijet person I was working with denied it was a drip tray but couldn't give me a satisfactory reason why it existed. So I turned to investigating the ozone methods of disinfection several whirlpool tub manufacturers have implemented. I decided to go with a Neptune whirlpooltub. Their ozone disinfection begins after the tub is emptied and the ozone is injected directly into the tubes... unlike most manufacturers who inject the ozone into the bath water to be pulled through by the running jets. I'm a nerd and read several ozone studies before making my decision. I will also use a product that claims to prevent a biofilm from forming. Not as easy to confirm this will work due to the proprietary compounds in the various products. But I know it is possible, given the right ingredients. I did consult with the inventor of the product I chose and he sent me some of his data as well as confirm there wouldn't be a problem combining it with ozone. Now, I can't tell you if I made the right choices yet... my bathtub has been sitting in my living room because the bathroom reno was delayed - hopefully a mid February start at this point! Whether you ultimately choose a whirlpool or an air tub, if you can, try to sit in a number of tubs to find what fits you best. I'm lucky to live within an hour's drive from a tub showroom that boasts to have over 400 on the floor! While there I also discovered that with my hard well water keeping air injectors open and de-calcified could be a chore. Good luck!

• dreambuilder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Which Neptune tub did you choose? Sounds wonderful! Thanks for the feedback!

• loves2cook4six
    8 years ago

Just want to add a comment that if anyone is looking at the Neptune Activ Air tubs to watch out. They do not have valves on the jets, despite advertising such, that prevent water from flowing back into the system. As a result mold grows in the pipes and comes out into your bath water whenever you turn your "therapeutic" jets on. In addition, leaning back against the jets causes your back to act as a thumb would over a hose and water shoots up into your hair, onto the walls and floor