Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do shower face plates need caulk?

Posted by milkless (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 11, 11 at 23:22

does there need to be caulk between a shower control face plate and the tile wall behind it? (i won't caulk the bottom to leave drainage as a possibility, especially if there is a weep hole)

there is a point where i can stick a credit card behind the face plate.. this point is the top left quarter of the faceplate

some say [1] there's already a gasket behind the face plate that should handle the water and [2] not having caulk makes it easier to service the item

others say [1] why rely on the gasket alone? [2] caulk never really gets in your way when you service the item -- you just scrape/peel it away

what do you think? is The Right Answer clear or is this up for debate?

(and do you get follow-ups emailed to you? i don't think that feature is working for me. i'm going to check the box anyway)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do shower face plates need caulk?

I never found a definitive answer on this one, either. We caulked behind the escutcheons in our master bathroom, because there's no access into that plumbing wall; we did not caulk the ones in the hall bath, because there's an access panel where we can periodically check to be sure no water is getting in behind.

As far as email reply notifications... I think you have to have something like "allow email" checked in your profile for that to work.

o

The gaskets do not always seal completely across grout lines.

o

I think it does depend on the situation.

But my DH would say absolutely always use clear silicone caulk around everything in the way of water. He's a general contractor and I know he's seen a lot of water damage when redoing bathrooms/tile, which is probably why he's so insistent about it in our house.

And yes, it's not that hard to scrape it off and apply a new coat once servicing is done.

o

I think it's best to caulk or silicone the top 1/2 or 2/3.

staceyneil, I never found a definitive answer on this one, either!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here