Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimdora_gw

Shower Niche Shelves

jimdora
16 years ago

We are building a shower niche and would like to have one large niche with a couple of shelves in the niche. What material can I use for the shelf and where can I get it? I don't think my tile selection has anything that I could use.

Also how do I put this kind of shelf in?

Thanks for all the help so far with our project!

Dora

Comments (24)

• bud_cline
    16 years ago

Is this a new shower? There are several preformed niches available, some with shelves some without.

Take a look here at "products":
    http://www.noblecompany.com

Also here is a small niche:
    http://www.innoviscorp,com

If you are building your own niche I assume you know about the waterproofing requirements? The niches above are already waterproofed and ready to go.

Shelves in home-made niches can be fashioned from countertop solid-surfacing material. Cabinet shops always have leftovers that they can make your shelf from, cut to your requirements.

• jimdora
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks,
    The shower is a remodel and we are back to the wall studs. I want to build our own niche and not be limited to the size of the ready mades.

How do I install the shelf in the niche?

Dora

• gabedad
    16 years ago

We used tempered glass for the shelf in our niche

We measured and got it from one day glass. Very reasonable and quick. The tiler (who we hated) put a white shelf up. I just took it out and had a I think it was 1/4 or 3/16 shelf made. It was cheap - like $17 or something

Here is a link that might be useful: one day glass

• bud_cline
    16 years ago

FIRST, you would build and totally waterproof the niche.
    THEN, as you build-in the tile you can install the shelf at that time.

How do you intend to create the niche and what will you use to waterproof it?:)

• chewtoy
    16 years ago

We have 2 built-in niches in our shower. I don't know what was used behind the part I can see, but our tile guy used pieces of white marble for the sides, bottom and shelf. They are grouted/caulked (I never remember which is which) into place, and in 5 years we've had no problems. The bottom and middle shelf parts are tilted slightly forward so that water drains right out, but the soap and shampoo bottles sit fine. The background is the same mosaic tile that is used elsewhere in the room.

• jimdora
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We plan to frame the niche then cover it with the backer board. We will water proof the whole niche using the products recommended by Bill Vincent in my other thread *Shower re-do/Niches & Tile*

I gather that when I install the shelf, it must be flush with the niche sides and will be held in place by the tiles on the niche sides.

Thanks for your info gabedad.
    Dora

• bud_cline
    16 years ago

You're on the right track sounds like but if you are listening to Bill Vincent I must warn you that.......

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah... :-)

• bud_cline
    16 years ago

Well.......there he is now! Where you been Bill? He move towards the top and help that lady with the Suntouch installation. I can't convince her what she wants to do is going to be a disaster for her.

• jimdora
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK we are also planning to do a suntouch installation. Do I need the cork insulation on a concrete slab? What do I need to know and what is the lady above doing wrong? I can't find the thread!

Dora

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

No, you don't need the cork. You can go right over the concrete.

As for what Bud's talking about, it's a matter of opinion. The person Bud's talking about wants to go over her Suntouch system burying it with thinset instead of self leveling compound. Although it's not the one talked about here, I know of one system that specifically recommends AGAINST using SLC. The reason Bud recommended against using thinset to bury the system is that when troweling thinset, it tends to "drag" with the trowel, because of the latex in it-- makes it stick to thr trowel, making it difficult to get a smooth floor. Especially with marble, as this woman is trying to accomplish, that can make the floor extremely difficult to install afterward, if you don't know what you're doing. SO in this case, I agree with Bud. The best bet would be self leveling compound.

• jimdora
    Original Author
    16 years ago

But will the cork help insulate and keep the heat in the tile rather than the concrete?
    Dora

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Of course it will. Cork is a terrific insulator. You're going to have no choice afterward, though-- you then HAVE to use epoxy grout. Any other grout will crack out.

• dlm99
    16 years ago

if I was to use this niche from noble along w/ a square one below it, how would I tile the arch front & inside the niche?

Here is a link that might be useful: noble niche 303

• jimdora
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK help me here! If I put the cork insulation down, then the suntouch warming mat, and then the tile - I will have to grout the tile with an epoxy grout. Why is this bad? Am I better off NOT using the cork and then being able to use a normal grout even though I loose the insulation?
    Dora

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

It's bad only because it's alot of added expense for very little value. Yes, the cork will add insulation. However, it's overkill, as is (I believe), epoxy grout in residential installations. The worst is that both products are very expensive, especially the epoxy, which will cost about 6-8 times the amount as conventional grout. (3 units of epoxy, covering about 50 feet of 12x12 w/1/4" joints a piece will cost about 35.00, while a bag of grout, covering 125 feet of the same tile and grout joints, will cost about 15.00)

dlm99-- you could cut the bullnose into 2" pieces, use them on the inside of the niche to cap the wall's tile which would be cut to come flush to the edge of the niche's return.

• dlm99
    16 years ago

"dlm99-- you could cut the bullnose into 2" pieces, use them on the inside of the niche to cap the wall's tile which would be cut to come flush to the edge of the niche's return."

Bill,
    Just so I am clear...you are saying cut the bullnose into strips and mount them along the inside of the arched top and down along the sides? If I understand correctly you are saying the bullnose tiles on the inside should extend out past the inside edge of the niche to meet up with the edge of the wall tile? Do you have a drawing of what you mean?
    Thanks,
    ~Donna

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

No need for a drawing. You've got it!

• kyuen
    16 years ago

Hi,

What material do you use for the shelf in the shower niche to build the tiles on? I will have subway tiles lining all of my shower and shower niche. What material will I set the tiles of my shelf on?

Thanks for your help.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

You can either use a preformed unit, or build it in place, using cement board over framing, and then waterproof it.

• kyuen
    16 years ago

Thanks Bill. I have a tall opening, so I'd like to divide the niche into two compartments by a shelf. What material should I use for this shelf? After I build it I would like to tile the shelf with subway tiles.

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

If you're going to tile is afterward, mount a 2x4 in the center (or wherever you like) of the niche, cement board, it, and waterproof it with the rest of the niche.

• daniels6_comcast_net
    14 years ago

I have large ceramic shelved niches that are easy to install, and no difficult to clean inside corners.
    http://www.danielskitchenbath.com/Bathroom-design.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom Remodeling

• aqeelzam
    13 years ago

Sounds like you are on the right track Jimdora
    http://www.dixsystems.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: DixSystems Inc