Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ineffablespace_gw

Could this sink be tiled in?

ineffablespace
10 years ago

Could this sink be tiled-in rather than using the hudee ring?

It has a 3/8" thickness on the edge. I realize that tiling in sinks is not popular and is not as easy to maintain as undermount.

Comments (3)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Yes. You can also tile in an undermount sink with a 1/2 inch lip. You have to make adjustments to get your sink to meet the level of your tile. Typical deck is double 5/8 plywood and cbu. Some folks use moisture barrier on top of that (I would especially for a kitchen) such as Hydro Ban, Red Guard, Kerdi, Kerdi board, Kerdi Ditra, etc. If you don't want the sink recessed then you may have to add plywood strips around the sink under the lip to raise it up. Or you can do a mud deck and maybe have more wiggle room to play with. It all depends upon your tile and the look you want - flat or a little recessed. You may want to use an undermount sink kit if you feel that the sink needs more support - Kohler makes one. Porcelain tile or stone can buffed or routed or you can use pencil trim, bullnose, etc to finish the edges around the sink. Schluter makes a metal trim if you want that look. Lots of variety based on your products and desired end look.

I am interested in this too because I am doing a tile countertop in my bath remodel - gong for a retro look. I have been scouting ebay for a new old stock 1950's tile in bathroom sink but have not found one yet. I find a tile in sink just as pretty and clean as an undermounted sink in granite. And I plan on using epoxy grout.

Here are some nice examples of a tiled in Kohler Memoirs sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: NL Kile Construction Tiled In Vanity Sinks

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 6:32

• ineffablespace
    Original Author
    10 years ago

There was one tile-in / hudee ring sink on DEA bath the last time I checked. It was the style that projected out in front of the counter edge a bit.

I also have my email on a list at a place that gets discontinued Kohler, for Kohler Pillow Talk sink, which sits slightly proud of the counter.

I linked to the page at DEA bath, maybe one of these sinks will work for you.
    I am also doing a couple mid-century baths.

Here is a link that might be useful: DEA Bath

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Ineffablespace, thanks for the website. I think I am leaning toward a similar look but with a contemporary twist. I have a 7 foot vanity 2-sink in my master with a nice built in cabinet. I am going down to one sink to free up space on the opposite end. I am thinking about installing the Kohler Tresham countertop sink on a tile countertop. I want the sink to stand out on the long countertop. The cabinet is 31 inches high without a countertop so I will also use this sink to add some height. I also want a large sink to hand wash delicates, etc. I got the idea from this bathroom.

For my second bath - I use it as my guest and dog bathing bath - I am tiling all the walls as wet walls and plan to incorporate the same style vanity cabinet in a sea of tile. Here I will tile in a rectangular undermount Kohler or Toto sink. The vanity is very small and I want to try to get as much usable counterspace as possible.

Below is the inspiration for my master bath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modwalls tile retro green bath