Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rantontoo

Tile Shower with a Corian Ceiling...doable or just tile?

rantontoo
9 years ago

I have searched on/off for over six months for an example of a tiled shower that uses 1/4-1/2 inch Corian for a ceiling instead of tile with no success. My only "hit" was a 2013 response from Trebruchet; he suggested that approach to a posting about what do do with a ceiling in a shower remodel.

We will begin remodeling a basement bathroom that has a shower (will be 38" x 66") under warm/cold ducting. Moisture ruined the current small fiberglass shower's drywall ceiling when teenagers shared this bathroom. We hope to make some design changes that will help address the moisture issue even though the "teenagers" are now adults in homes of their own. I want to make sure that moisture damaged drywall is a thing of the past.

I suspect using Corian is not a common solution for a low shower ceiling, but I wonder why not? If the sheet is screwed into the framing in addition to silicon as an adhesive, can the screws be hidden on a thinner sheet by a fabricator? Will there be a problem where tile and Corian meet which might cause cracking?

I thought a Corian ceiling would just look like a drywall white ceiling which would make tile selection much easier. My tile setter wants to tile the ceiling, and he strongly advocates that the same tile should be used in the shower for the walls and ceiling. He was not a fan of using white tile on the ceiling and Azul porcelain slate tile for the walls even though the porcelain slate tiles had some areas of white in some of them. Because I do not want to feel like I am showering in a cave, I nixed my original choice of porcelain slate tile for the bathroom. My husband is not a fan of plain subway tiles...I am at a loss for what tile to use if we tile the walls and ceiling following the recommendations of the tile setter.

I assume a Corian ceiling will be more expensive than a ceiling of under $5.00 square foot tile, but I could not find any pricing for the thinner Corian material to confirm that assumption. I am stumped! Does anyone have tiled shower ceiling pictures to share and some advice?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Corian or other solid surface makes an excellent shower ceiling. No grout and no mold and mildew ever.

Scribe the ceiling piece to fit with a 1/8" perimeter gap and put it up before tile. Tape or hot melt some 2x4s on edge to the finished side. Place quarter-sized dabs of 100% silicone every 12", then jam 2x4's between the floor and the finished side 2x4s. Pull 'em the next day and the ceiling is flat and stuck permanently. No mechanical fasteners.

• rantontoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet:

Thank you for the instructions. I think I need clarification...every 12 inches all over the finished side of the ceiling where the framing studs are? Would you put the Cprian panel up before the Schluter shower is built? Do you think cracking of grout or tile will be an issue because the surface materials are different?

• rantontoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka:

We had a fan...not on a timer so who knows if the teenagers ran it every time they showered. We installed a larger unit recently when the heating/ventilation co. was here for the upstairs remodel; the fan is in the main bathroom area instead of the shower.

Our concern is the low height of the shower ceiling...it is less than 7 feet. I prefer an open shower design the way an alcove bath is placed with a curtain because of the moisture issue; DH wants to recreate the basic design of the old fiberglass shower but make it longer and use a partial wall and glass to enclose the long side with a narrow opening so no shower door I fear that his design will simply recreate what we had...moisture tended to stay trapped in the shower area. Even with a more powerful fan, I am afraid if his design prevails...we will have moisture issues on the ceiling again. The tile setter suggested tiling the lower ceiling to eliminate the potential issue.

Of course, the tile setter/shower installer loves my husband's idea...more tile work. I concur that the half-tiled wall and glass combo would look great (it should since it will be more expensive), but I am remodeling to fix a problem and enhance resale possibilities.

• rantontoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Trebruchet:

Do you have any idea how the cost of the thinner Corian compares to under $5 a square foot tile? Can I assume that installation costs might be less than tile installation since it would take less time?

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Is there any way you could put a fan with a light right in the shower ceiling? The reason I ask is that your situation isn't that unusual. Our guest bath (house built in the mid-60's) has a soffit over the bath alcove, so the ceiling in the shower is less than 7'. Many homes were built that way. (Cozy). It is rated to be mounted where it could get splashed. The fan is silent, the light is wonderful and the timer runs it for 60 min. The grandkids kids love the light because it makes them feel "on stage", so they always use it. that ceiling has only paint on it and has never had a problem.

-Babka

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Swanstone makes solid surface panels. You should be able to find online pricing for those, since you can't find the Corian ones.

• rantontoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Babka:

There is solid runs of air ducting in 1/2 of the space then the ducting narrows so there is a 4.5 inch gap of space between two ducts for the rest of the ceiling.

The electrician said he could not get a recessed light into the available space between the ducts. I am actually going to buy the housing for the smallest sized recessed light I can find to see if there will be room for some kind of lighting. A fan unit that is recessed will not work...at least the ones I have seen. Is your fan a surface mounted unit...that might work but again lowers the height of available vertical space.

• rantontoo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weedyacres:

Thank you! I had originally nixed Swanstone because I wanted the screws anchoring the sheet hidden and was told it could not be done with Swanstone. With Trebruchet's recommended method of attaching, that would not be an issue...completely forgot about the Swanstone.

• User
    9 years ago

Corian would start at around $40 a square, installed, up to about $85 installed. That's usually the only way it's sold, as DuPont controls who has access and certification. I'd do the whole surround, walls and floor. Skip doing the tile. It's going to stand out to use a different material on the ceiling. And not in a good way.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

Nuts. Now I understand your limitations. My fan/lights are recessed.

-Babka