Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Bill V. or others: Can this tile be used in the shower?

beekeeperswife
12 years ago

I would like to use this marble mosaic in the shower, in a 3x4 decorative wall panel.

Is there any reason I can't use it? My concern is what if they can't get the grout in between the tiles and then there are leaks...

This is a 12x12 section of the tile.

The field tile will be a 8x10 regular old ceramic tile. I will either use a rope or a chair rail tile to frame this out. I'd like to just use a listello but not sure if one is available. I will have to check.

While we are at it, what grout color would you all suggest? I was going to just use a white grout before I decided I liked this for the decorative panel.

Comments (10)

• nycbluedevil
    12 years ago

Bee

Neither grout nor tile is what prevents leaks. The waterproofing of your shower takes place behind the walls (with the cement board, etc) and the shower pan. Water will always get behind the tile and grout. The materials behind and below are what keep you dry.

The tile is very pretty--go for it!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! That's what someone else told me, but it's a bit scary to me to think that I could have water getting behind the tiles.....

Would mold then be an issue?

Bee

• terezosa / terriks
    12 years ago

nycbluedevil is mostly correct, except that cement board is NOT waterproof. It won't be damaged by water, but like tile and grout, moisture can get through them. That is why you need either plastic sheeting behind the backer board, or better yet a surface applied waterproofing, such as Red Guard, which is a liquid, or Kerdi, which is a sheet material. IMO it is better to stop the water before it hits the cement board.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

FWIW, DH applied Hydroban from Laticrete (similar to Red Guard, but a lovely pea soup shade of green!) to our hardi-backer tub and shower surround walls. It rolled/brushed on easily. It's not cheap, but well-worth it IMHO.

• Emily
    12 years ago

Bee,

This won't help with what you are asking but I was just wondering what that beautiful is. Who makes it? I love it!

Thanks!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    12 years ago

epressler, I'm glad you love it!

It is from MIssion STone and Tile. Give Mary Elizabeth a call and tell her you saw my (Karen's) trellis sample on GW. THis is the company that I won that fab backsplash from. She is helping me with the tiles for my new house.

She is great to work with and will send you samples. I'll link their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: mission stone & tile

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

I don't think there's enough room to grout that tile well but there is certainly enough for your dead skin cells to get in between the porous stones. I would NOT want to try to clean that either! I can see why you love it, but leave it out of the shower. Maybe use it as the panel surrounding the tub or in the tub surround. Or the shower ceiling where it won't get wet.

• Emily
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info! It will probably be a while before we get around to doing our master bath but it's great to know!

I am in the process of putting together my inspiration binder of pictures and am going to add this beautiful tile! Thanks again.

• ppalm
    11 years ago

Beekeepers wife~ Did you select this gorgeous trellis mosaic? We are updating our masterbath with 18x18 calacatta gold floor tiles and a sweet little clawfoot tub and blingy little chandelier. I think this would look terrific in our shower surrounded by a simple white tile. Please tell me you went for it and love it! :-) Thanks so much!

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

I don't think there's enough room to grout that tile well

There most certainly is, using an unsanded grout.

BKW-- Mold should not be a problem so long as the shower is constructed properly.

FWIW, DH applied Hydroban from Laticrete (similar to Red Guard, but a lovely pea soup shade of green!) to our hardi-backer tub and shower surround walls. It rolled/brushed on easily. It's not cheap, but well-worth it IMHO.

yep-- what SHE said!! :-)