Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryl_hays3290497

Quickdrain Linear Drain

Intoodeep
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

Demo begins tomorrow on the master bath remodel - FINALLY!!

I want to try and do a Quickdrain linear drain, but I am not sure if it will work and I need some help. I think a mud base would be best given our neo-angle shower, but quick drain has these nifty QuickSlope and FlatPanel products that may eliminate the need to build a mud pan.

Also, apparently Quickdrain makes their own Noble-like membrane (they no longer reccomend using Noble as a result) but they do allow the use of Hydroban for waterproofing.

We will be doing a radiant floor in the shower and the quickdrain folks tell me that the radiant layer can go under or over the membrane. In this case, I'd lean towards UNDER for obvious reasons. Suntouch WarmWire is rated for shower locations.

My GC has only ever done a rubber membrane and never worked with topical waterproofing.

I am trying to figure out:

1) Can we use a linear drain with this shower configuration

2) How do we work the slope? I would like the drain on the South 44" wall.

3) What is the best way to tell my GC to waterproof considering his experience with rubber membranes, but not topical?

4) I'd like to keep the curb as low as possible, what do you think is reasonable?

Anything else to think about??

In case it is too small to see:

The shower is 68"x68". The short walls are 42" each with the entry door on most of the 45 degree wall. The bench will be 24"x24" with 6" sides and 24" across the front.

There is a fixed head on the West wall, handheld on the South wall and a 12" rain shower in the center. Controls will be on the North and East walls.

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Comments (7)

• David
    12 years ago

I hope the following helps

Here is a link that might be useful: Curbless shower

• Intoodeep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I have read that link. We are not doing a curbless shower.

• antss
    12 years ago

"We will be doing a radiant floor in the shower and the quickdrain folks tell me that the radiant layer can go under or over the membrane. In this case, I'd lean towards UNDER for obvious reasons. Suntouch WarmWire is rated for shower locations. "

HALT ! you need to do some research and call some tech departments for the products you are think about using.

Some membranes do not play well with radiant floors.

Another point I've seen is that the membrane will limit the effectiveness of the heater anyway. Additionally the on off cycle of the heater + the expansion contraction of the assembly is not worth the risk in a shower pan to me. You could just leave the system on full time during the season to minimize this, but that has drwabacks too.

Besides - isn't the floor warmed after your hot water falls on it for a few seconds before you get in?

A linear drain presents some real challenges for slope in that shower - some you may not like standing on at the end of the day.

The WC detail is a bit funky with the angled wall. Straighten it out or center the wc on the 31" part. Alternately make it all 36" and re-configure the two doorways.

• Intoodeep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Antss...I was thinking the slope required may be wonky with a linear drain -- as much as I want to use one!

I agree that the toilet should be centered on the 31", moving the doorways and straightening the wall isn't as easy as it sounds. One door is the closet and the other door is the exit.

Re: Radiant heat...yes, once we decide what to do, I will call the maufacturer of the membrans & Suntouch and ask. The quickdrain membrane is the one I was speaking about - I was talking to the QD technical support guy.

Thanks again

• antss
    12 years ago

"slope required may be wonky with a linear drain "

it's not the linear drain - those can be as simple as a one way slope in a square or rectangled shower. The issue for you is the noe-angle setup!

You need to do the research in parallel as it's more a membrane issue than the heating mat on.

Also - be very careful about the QD membrane! They are a very very new company and started as a metal fabricator of drains. They don't have a track record or the engineers to flog a waterproofing membrane in my opinion ! That's THE MOST IMPORTANT PART of a shower assembly.

Look into on of the products/brands I mentioned. All have been around teh tile setting business for decades with 100's of thousands of installs. They also have engineering departments that don't double as marketers, salesmen and shipping dept.

I'm not knocking quickdrain, we use them several times a year but they are a drain manufacturer not a waterproofing - setting materials company.

• Intoodeep
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I hear you. I meant that with the neo-angle, it would be wonky to get a good slope to the quickdrain.

In the end, unless we put the drain at the shower entrance behind the curb, I don't think that we can pull off a linear drain...and I'm not sure that I want the drain at the entrance!

Looks like a nice square center drain may be in my future after all.
    :-( At least I tried!

At least the rubber membrane manufacturer and Suntouch both agree that I can use the warmwire in the shower with a mud base. :-)

• antss
    12 years ago

At the curb is the worst location for the drain, and you still have the same dilemma of slopes to deal with whether you put it there or at the seat.

"At least the rubber membrane manufacturer and Suntouch both agree that I can use the warmwire in the shower with a mud base. :-)"

Which rubber membrane manuf. is this?

Those linear drains function best with a "topical" membrane as opposed to a traditional rubber shower pan with a mud bed on top of it - which I think your people have been talking about.

The issue is how the heating mat plays (or doesn't)with this topical membrane which is extremely thin when it is a liquid applied type.

If (now) you are not doing one and are going with a trad. clamping drain + showerpan and mudbed you have some more latitude. Just be sure you have a "pre-slope" BEFORE your showerpan is installed. And be certain the drain's weepholes are not filled with mud.

If your builder/ tilesetter /plumber look at you funny or tell you "that's not necessary" SHOW THEM THE DOOR IMMEDIATELY.