Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindywhitall

Will this cabinet re-fit work?

cindywhitall
15 years ago

I have Yorktowne Avondale cabinets that are 13 years old, but in great shape. My vanity is 90" long and has a 30" cabinet w/double doors on each end and just a desk type of drawer in the middle w/ an opening underneath for a vanity chair that I will never own.

I tried to get a third cabinet to slide in the middle but was advised that Yorktowne had since changed the height of the toe kick and it wouldn't line up. In addition, there is now tile around the cabinets, but not under them, and there is tile under the drawer area, so it could never line up, or even fit a standard base cabinet.

I have played with the idea of mounting a WALL cabinet (no toe kick) under the drawer by using a one inch filler and building a faux toe kick base out of lumber and covering all the toe kick w/molding. The wall cabinet would sort of sit on the base and attach to the sides of the exisitng cabinets. With a one inch filler it should all line up across the bottom of the face frames. I wondered about the distance from the bottom of the face frame to the bottom of the door, and whether that will match on the wall cabinet and existing cabinet. Also deciding between 12" depth($314) and 21" depth ($414)

For $250 I can get just the doors and face frame, and not have a "real" cabinet at all, just sort of like doors leading to an empty space. I would glue/nail them to the exisitng cabinets(husband or brother could figure it out!)

I mainly want to fill the useless space because it is not attractive. I have cleaning supplies hidden in a basket in the space now.

Just got new granite counter last week. Love it! (Then needed new knobs, new bathrugs, new towel, new facuet....the granite just starts the snowball rolling!)

Any thoughts. I'd post photos if I new how! Anywhere else I should post this?