Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys235_gw

Ideas for budget Master Bath remodel

marys235
11 years ago

I am in the process of planning a remodel of my small master bath, but am limited on the budget, and would love any ideas or suggestions on getting an expensive look on a budget. I'm hoping to keep it under $6,000. I'm not moving any plumbing or changing the layout, so hopefully it will work.

I currently have a shower (44" by 36") tiled with 4x4 white tiles, it's in bad shape and needs to be torn out and redone. The slope on the floor is wrong, and I'm getting a lot of mildew and mold in the grout on the floor. I'm trying to decide between a mosaic tile floor, with subway tiles on the shower walls, or some sort of solid surface shower pan. No shower door, I am just going to use a shower curtain.

Right now, the shower and toilet are in a small room with a door that closes, and the 70" vanity is outside the door, in a little alcove off the MBR. The alcove is about 70" by 100". The carpet in the bedroom extends into the alcove, so I plan to replace that with tile, and re-tile the floor in the little shower/toilet room. I'm thinking a large, porcelain, rectified tile, either 20x20 or 18x18, with minimal grout. Will large tile work in such a small space?

I have a built-in vanity that extends from one wall to the next in the alcove, so I plan to leave that in place, but replace the old, cultured marble top with something else, maybe granite. I thought I'd check with some of the fabricators in the area and see if I could get a deal on a remnant.

So total, I'm thinking new shower (36" x 44"), re-tile the floor (about 57 square feet), new 71" x 24" vanity top, hopefully granite, new drop-in sink, new faucet and repaint. and tear out the bead board that goes halfway up the wall in the small toilet/shower room. And if I can swing it, tear off the old huge unframed mirror over the vanity that covers almost the entire wall, repair the drywall, and replace it with a framed mirror. Does that sound doable? I'm not a DIY, I'll hire all of this done.

Would love some ideas or suggestions. My goal is to sell the house within 5 years, so I'm primarily concerned with resale value. The bathroom is so awful right now, I can't imagine anyone would want to buy the house.

Comments (30)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    11 years ago

You don't have to take the mirror out. CHeck out this idea and there are lots of others like it:

http://www.hometalk.com/529173/revamp-that-large-bathroom-mirror

• gmp3
    11 years ago

Mary, I would talk to a few tile guys to get an idea of how much they will charge. It will be your biggest cost. As for other fixtures, look on CL for vanities and places that have granite or marble remnants. EBay and overstock have some nice faucets and light fixtures.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I live in CA, and the bids for labor alone to put in a pan and tile my 5'x4.5' shower averaged $5,000. I agree- you should start with the bids for the tile and see what the going rate is in your area.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have gotten one bid from a contractor, he wanted $6,400 for the shower, floor tile, replacing the counter with granite, drop-in sink, removing the bead board and painting. The allowance he gave me for the tile was pretty low, though ($1.50 sq. ft), so I'm sure it would be more than that. And I would have to buy the faucets. I'm hoping I can save some by not using a contractor, just hiring a plumber, painter and tile guy directly, and checking with a fabricator for a granite remnant. One of the fabricators in town charges $30 per square foot on remnants, and that's installed with one free cut-out and 6 edges free. I think that might be cheaper than most solid surfaces, if they have anything, I need to go by there. But I do need to get some additional estimates for the shower, that's going to be the biggest expense. I just have no idea what I want as far as material, tiles, solid surface. I'm going to a home show tomorrow for some ideas.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gmp3, I feel stupid, but I can't figure out what CL is, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very cool ideas for the bathroom mirror on that thread. I have a single, center sink, so the shelf in the middle wouldn't work for me, but I had thought about building a frame around the mirror. I did that in a small, half-bath, and it came out pretty well.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I tried to take a picture of the frame I built around the mirror in the small half bath, it's not a great picture, but I think you get the idea.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Marys235, CL means Craigs List.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

enduring, lol, of course, can't believe I couldn't figure that out.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Marys...I was going to include some wise-acre remark with my posting, but my higher self recommended against it. Now I know I could have, and maybe even got a capital LOL from you. But, I can't remember what my "cute" remark was going to be.

Oh I remember:
    Marys235, CL means Craigs List....I know ;)

I guess it isn't that funny. Clearly I have to get up and do the dishes.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

I would suggest getting several bids. We renovated our whole home and bids varied wildly. I have had good luck using Service magic for tradespeople. A shower pan will be much cheaper, and in my area of the country, most homes except for very high end have them. I had good luck finding one one on Amazon.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I priced some Swanstone showerpans for about $300, which seems pretty reasonable. I was thinking if I did the white subway tiles in the shower, a solid shower pan would not be as noticeable. It would just all blend in. And I've seen some pictures of bathrooms with white subway tiles in the shower, and natural stone-look tiles in a beigey/cream/light brown color on the floor, and thought it was a very pretty look. I figure I need to check on the granite remnants first, and if I find something affordable that I like, use that to determine my colors for tile and paint.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lizb 1772 posted pictures of her master bath remodel on this site, I linked to one below, with a white subway tile shower and natural stone floor, I love the combination she used. Of course, she did a beautiful tile shower floor, but this is the general color scheme I'd like to shoot for.

• liveinseattle
    11 years ago

Do consider tilling yourself . We did our hall bath which is 9x11' with tub shower combo. It looks great. Bigger tile also make tilling easer. You local tile place can provide classes for free.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

liveinseattle, I wish I could, but with a combination of arthritis in my hands which makes diy projects difficult, and just lack of time due to demands at work, I really don't think I'll be able to. I've had to call too many professionals to fix my weekend projects, I've decided to just stay away from diy, I generally spend more than I would if I had just called the professional to begin with.

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I like the color scheme marys posted - an alternative would be gray and white. White subway tile looks great with marble accents, which would not add that much.

30/sq ft for remnant pricing is wonderful! I would go look and see what you find - then choose your tile and accent from there. You have to start with one element to build from.

• goldstox
    11 years ago

Try and get a prefabricated granite top. It will be a lot cheaper than getting one made. Also look for tile on Craigslist. Just remember, whatever your budget is you will go over. Leave at least 10% margin for this. You will not know until you open up some walls and see if their is water damage, bad pipes, etc. Best of luck.

• liveinseattle
    11 years ago

can you do tiling yourself? You local tile store may have free class to teach how to tile, that can save you a lot of money. Tiling is not very difficult, just have to be patient, we did that in 2 weekends, and another weekend for sealing. it tuned out much better than some of my friends' bathroom where tiled by "professionals". I have to say bigger tile is better to deal with when DIY. We used 18X18 tile, and we will use 24X24 or bigger for our master bath. And if you have any thing to remove, do it yourself, that can also save money. you can deposit the waste youself too, your county will charge a lot less if you dump that to the waste station

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I've picked out tile and found a granite remnant I really love, a Giallo Ornamental that will be $460 installed with a white rectangular sink, no backsplash, since I want to use my accent tile for the backsplash. I've picked out an Interceramic porcelain tile, Plateau in Mossdale, and want to do a 20 by 20 tile on the bathroom floors, and 13 x 13 tile on the shower walls, in a diamond patters. I found a pretty glass mosaic tile, I want to run about 4" wide just above eye-level on the shower walls, and use as the backsplash on the vanity. I want to do a white Swanstone solid surface shower floor. I going to use Moen Voss 2 handle faucet in brushed nickel, and a Delta In2ition 2-1 shower head in stainless. I'm up to $1700 on the vanity and all the other materials, now I just have to get estimates on labor for the tile and plumbing. This is a photo of the accent tile (ignore the tile behind it, I decided not to use it), I'll do a separate post with a picture of the granite and tile I picked out. Any opinions on whether this will all work together?

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the granite and tile I picked out. I got a great deal on the granite vanity top, $30 s.f., and that includes installation, sink cut-out, and choice of several different edges.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, and my vanity and woodwork are all painted white. I think the tile bring out the white in the granite, and will pull everything together. Maybe. Here's a before picture of my awful cultured marble vanity top. I also priced one of those mirrormate mirror frames to put around the mirror, that will run about $250, so let's just say $2,000 for materials and vanity top for now.

• belasea
    11 years ago

I think removing the knobs in the middle of your vanity doors, if possible, and putting some updated handles on the edge would do a lot to also give it an updated look. I would paint the cabinet a white that had cream in it, like perhaps benjamin moore ivory white. It's white, but is a bit cream to tie in with the warmth of your granite and floor.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I plan to change out all the knobs and handles. I had not thought about putting handles on the edge of the cabinet doors, that would like nice.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I think I would go a little less gold on the floor tile. It can look a little dated.

When you said you were going to use a drop-in sink, did you mean an undermount sink?

• swedishchicken
    11 years ago

I think new knobs and handles for the vanity and a slightly warmer white paint will look great and tie the granite in nicely too.

I also agree with may-flowers about the gold tones in the floor tile possibly looking dated. Maybe pull a slightly greyer or creamier tone from the granite? At least it looks like there is some grey in it on my screen..

• belasea
    11 years ago

I agree with swedishchicken and may_flowers for going with a slightly grayer or creamier tone from the granite on the floor.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Mayflowers, I did mean undermount. I keep getting those terms backwards. It may be my cameraphone, but the tile I am looking at really doesn't seem to have any gold in it irl. The color may not be accurate in the picture.

• marys235
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a link to the tile on a tile store website, it looks quite a bit different from the picture I took with my camerphone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interceramic Plateau Mossdale

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

I have no idea what colors will look dated, but I like the colors in your photos. They go together well. In my monitor, the color on the tile website looks a pinky beige that does not match as well with your granite and not at all with your accent tile. I am going to assume that the real color is somewhere in between the two.

It sounds like you will have a nice, clean look. I like that you have porcelain that looks like stone, and not real stone. It is harder than simple ceramic and will not have the voids that stone can have. I have always wondered if those spaces hold water and grow moldy.

I remember reading on another thread that there is a way of telling how many different patterns there are with the tiles - so that you do not have the same tile patterns showing up constantly and reminding you of the fact that it is man-made and not a natural stone. I don't remember the name of the measure, but it ranges from 1 (low amount of variation) to 4 (highest variation). Does anybody know the name?

• Nancy in Mich
    10 years ago

Here it is, Raehelen posted it on a thread here in Bathrooms:
    "look for the shade rating system called the STV (Shade Tone Variance or for short the âÂÂVâ rating) which is now being used as a way to signify how much shade variance you should expect from one tile to another, within the same item / color. V1 would have no variance, V4- the maximim amount of variance."

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz