Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed lighting placement over vanity.

Posted by jjaazzy (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 21:47

Need some help with placement. How far from the wall do you place recessed lights? I think I have them spaced right just unsure of how far back. My vanity counter will be 73.5" long. Installing (3) 3" 50 watt lights over the vanity. I pretty much decided to put one light on center 36.75" and the other two 18" to each side. Does that sound good? But, how far from the back wall? I know I will need to find some other wall sconce lights for around the mirror but would like to make correct decision on the recessed for now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed lighting placement over vanity.

I know you want the light behind you when you stand to look in the mirror - otherwise there will be shadows.

o

Let me tell you where to NOT put them! Don't center them over the vanity (from wall to the long edge). That would put them in front of you. My bathroom is perfect in every other way. I was going to put the center of the lights over the edge of the vanity just like you place recessed lights in the kitchen. My BIL (who was doing the electrical) said that since I would be looking in the mirror, he felt like I would want them between the wall/mirror and myself. My gut reaction said no, but I started to doubt myself and he was there installing them right then :( If it wasn't for the wall sconce on one side of me and the chandy over the tub on the other side, I'd be in the shadows all the time. Not 100% positive the rule of centered over the counter (vanity) is the same in the bathroom as it is in the kitchen (seems like it would be) but definitely don't put them in front of you.
Monica

o

Ok, trying to understand this. I am standing in front of the sink and the counter is 6 ft. long the cabinet will be 22" deep give or take, so if I understand this correctly I am to #1. Not put one directly over the sink, just one to each side and #2. Place them from the back wall at like 28" plus? Is that right? How about the 3rd one centered with the sink but at the 28" plus dept from the wall? Keep in mind they are 3" lights and they are directional so I could point them towards the wall and bounce the light. I like this idea because I was planning on some dramatic pricy tile for the back wall, whatever that maybe. I will also put a wall sconce to each side of the mirror. Some wattage help in that direction would be helpful. I have one 3" 50 watt recessed shower trim in the shower hooked up right now (non-directional) and I am so happy I planed on putting two lights cause one doesn't cut it. So I moved the 2nd one closer to the back corner so I won't have a scary dark corner. It did look great though when I tested it last night. So exciting to get something done! Thanks you all for your help I have been to a handful of lighting stores and they just have no clue what is the proper thing to do, they just sell lights period. So thank you all very much for your personal experiences.

o
Recessed lights installed over vanity.

Update, we installed the (3) 3" 50 watt lights and put three over the 6ft counter. This put one in the middle and 2 18.5" to each side. We placed the adjustable trims 12.5 from the back wall and they look really really nice. They don't however give off enough light so we will have to put in wall sconces which I planed on anyway. Now I will have to figure out how much wattage they should be. Anyone have any suggestions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here