Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crl_

Choosing finishes for hall bath in 1926 French Revival

crl_
9 years ago

Previous thread on layout linked below.

We are planning to remodel the hall bath in our 1926 French Revival house this spring. The project is in conjunction with a kitchen remodel. I'm trying for choices that fit the house, but I'm not going for period perfect by any means.

The bathroom is on the small side and will have a wall mount toilet, an approximately 30 inch vanity and a curbless shower.

I'm thinking a large medium to dark grey floor tile with tight grout lines. I found an affordable 12 x 24 yesterday that is rectified porcelain. I'm thinking maybe a running bond pattern? Not very period correct for the house, but I am hoping it will be much easier to keep clean than small vintage-y tiles would be. And I'm hoping that it is neutral enough to blend in.

For the walls I am thinking white ceramic tiles. I'd like cove tiles at the bottom. Then I'm debating subway vs 6 x 6 tiles. We put subway in for our master bathroom about 18 months ago and I'm happy with them. But maybe 6 x 6 would be nice for a change? I'd like to have this tile throughout the room as a wainscoting. In the shower, I thought maybe a different tile for the top portion. What about white penny rounds? They strike me as a reference to a vintage look, but a more modern take to use them on the wall? Too modern?

For the vanity, it will be custom built provided by my contractor. I'm thinking slab inset door/drawer fronts. And I'm thinking of having it painted a dark blue, nearly navy? And we are considering marble looking quartzite counters for the kitchen, which should leave us enough from the slab to do the bathroom counter as well.

For fixtures and knobs and such, I'm thinking polished chrome. And glass knobs with chrome backing. It's pretty, easy to match between brands and we don't have hard water.

We are planning on a partial, full-height wall separating the shower from the rest of the room. Dh really wants this to be glass. I'm concerned about keeping that clean. This will be the kids' bathroom as well as the bathroom guests use (no powder room in this house). I will not be able to count on the kids to squeegee after each use. Would it be better to have a solid tiled wall at least part way up? Or if we pick a patterned glass with coating will it stay decent looking even without regular squeegee use?

So does it sound electic and like it would blend with the house? Or like a mishmash? Suggestions?

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread on layout

Comments (2)