Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile wainscoting vs wood vs nothing

Posted by rebecca3142 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 1, 14 at 21:16

I am making plans for remodeling the kid's bathroom and a guest bathroom in the basement. I was originally planning on doing tile wainscoting, but I might need to trim that from the budget. I assume that wood wainscoting will be less expensive, but I am afraid that wood might look too traditional in these particular rooms. My style is more transitional.

So, would it be a mistake to skip placing something on the walls besides some type of base board trim? Is there a wood wainscoting that would work in a transitional style bathroom? Or, should I just bite the bullet and get tile?

Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile wainscoting vs wood vs nothing

Is there some reason you need wainscoting at all? Why not just paint the walls to save even more money?

o

Thanks sj, that's why I am asking. I am definitely considering just painting....it just seems like all of the design pictures have something covering the wall.

o

Do horizontal bead board if you want a fresh take on wainscotting. But, you don't need anything at all unless it's a boys bath with the associated "misses". If it is, upgrade the paint to a semi gloss so that it's easier to scrub, and that should provide all of the actual protection that the walls need. That's the main purpose of wainscotting, not decor.

o

Thanks hollysprings! That is the information I was looking for.

o

You don't have to do wainscoting, but I would like to suggest extending the tile a few more inches beyond the tub to handle splashing, especially on the shower head side. I think the traditional sliver of wall tile next to the tub apron is not very good for one of the most critical drip areas.

The most important thing to do is to teach your boys to respect their bathroom. If they mess it up, make them clean it up. That's what my parents did with my brothers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hit the spot

o

I agree with Hollysprings about horizontal beadboard! Love it! I'm attaching a photo I had saved, where I think this works so well!

You are smart to stick to your budget! Before you discount tile altogether, you might be interested to see what "kgwlisa" achieved while watching her pennies!
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg051750542122.html

We're in the middle of a renovating our little boy's bathroom. We had the same debate and opted for tiled wainscoting in the end. We love how it's turned out. We have a way to go, but here's a photo too.

Good luck with your project!
Ruth

Here is a link that might be useful: kgwlisa's bathroom

o

... and here is our work in progress...

o

Sorry I am struggling to attach more than one image! Last one that I had saved!

Good luck!!!

o

Wow, thank you so much! Those look really nice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here