Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparklebread

Marble floor was sealed and it looks like dirty windows!

sparklebread
11 years ago

I hate to be the problem poster. But here I am, again. Hopefully someone can learn from this. Tile guys sealed master bathroom floor this morning. (honed marble) Told me to wait 4 hours cure time. Went in this evening to take a peek and it looks like my eight year old dd's attempt at cleaning the windows. It looks horrible and this is not even in the daylight. The streaks do not wipe off with a damp rag. I am sick to my stomach. (Second glass of wine hasn't put a dent in the emotion!) Contractor will be here in the morn. In the mean time, as usually, I am trying to get a basic idea of the issue.

Could this be sealer residue? Is there a fix? The floor looked better before sealed, I am certain of that. Tile was grouted a week ago.

This post was edited by sparklebread on Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 21:46

Comments (11)

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Could be the sealer used. We hated SCI's spray-on sealer. Hated it a lot. Streaked, smeared, looked awful.

Loved STT's SB sealer. Easy to apply, and buff off any remaining resdue (not much), and minimal odor.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you cat-mom. I believe they used aquamix - sealers choice gold-rapid cure. I try to get a picture of all the products everyone uses, just for future reference, but they did not leave the bottle behind.

• annemouse
    11 years ago

The Miracle Sealer leaves a residue like this if not properly polished off with a dry white cloth when still damp. The fix here is to wipe tiles again with cloth that has been dampend a little bit with Miracle Sealer. Maybe it is the same here and can be fixed easily.

• axxis_rose
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest the same as annemouse. I recently posted about Miracle 511 residue on chrome and learned that you can use more to wipe off the excess (which is suggested on the bottle) or mineral spirits which works really well. I also used dish washing liquid and elbow grease.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kevin, that beautiful bathroom of yours has a flaw? Thank you for helping me keep this in perspective. Unfortunately, whatever is on my floor is not isolated to a small area. BTW- can't wait to see what you do with those chairs!

Annemouse, I hope, hope, hope your solution is our solution!

GC was here at 8am. I am so thankful we are not acting as our own GC on this project. First glance he thinks it is improperly applied sealer and can be rectified with solution similar to annemouse above. The owner of the tile company is here now to look at this as well as the spotting issue on the grout in the hall bath. I can hear him rubbing the floor above. Unnerving! Will post "solutions" as they are implemented in the event anyone ever encounters the same issues.

Thank you.

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Exactly what annemouse said. This is what works on my honed statuary marble. I use 511 sealer.

• MongoCT
    11 years ago

AquaMix sealers are usually left on for about 5 minutes, then the excess is wiped off by buffing the surface dry. Letting the excess dry on the tile surface will lead to the streaks that show in your photos.

There are certain timelines for removing the streaks and haze. I recommend you call their tech support at 800-282-8786.

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you mongoct. I called tech support. This is my understanding of the problem. Tech support said it sounds as if during the initial application the towel used was still damp and the excess sealer was just pushed around the floor and not removed completely.

The sealer used is a penetrating sealer that does not reactivate, so the tile guy's plan to re-apply sealer and wipe off should be a no go.

I was told to have them use Aquamix Nano Scrub with a white nylon scrub pad and brush which should remove the excess sealer.

This post was edited by sparklebread on Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 20:57

• sparklebread
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a follow up. Nano Scrub was applied today. Happy to report it did the job! Purchased at Home Depot.

• bill_vincent
    11 years ago

Good stuff. :-)