Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katmomma_gw

Are corner baths tubs dated?

katmomma
10 years ago

Hello,

We are building a new house and our current blueprint has a layout for a corner bathtub. I picked out a kohler with 6 jets thinking it would be good for 2 people. I'm having second thoughts though..are corner bath tubs considered dated? The one i picked is not like the one in the blueprint..it is an actual corner bath that is triangular. I will post a pic of the current layout and if anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to send them this way!

Comments (19)

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

The Kohler corner tubs look more like an outdoor hot tub - they look like they are designed for 3 people. So if you want more of that kind of experience, then go for it. It will be cheaper than a hot tub. Make sure you have enough hot water in your plan for whatever tub you decide on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Corner Whirlpools

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 22:33

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

You may want to look for a tub that is made for 2 people but will not be too big for just one person. Look for a tub that has a center drain. A popular tub is the Kohler Memoirs, if you like the traditional design. It is 5.5 feet, 16 inches deep at 81 gals. Take a look at the specs and use it as a comparison during your search.

If you get a whirlpool, definitely get a heater to maintain the water temp.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Memoirs 66 x 42 tub

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 23:08

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Keep in mind you may need to have a dedicated water heater for such a large tub, unless you want to run out of hot water when you use it.

My experience with most people who have these pre-existing in houses they buy don't use them once the novelty is worn off, and many people who remodel get rid of the ones that are so large and replace them with a Deep, but conventionally-sized tub. Industry data shows that the usage of these tubs drops dramatically over the years they are in place. Some people love them, so it depends on whether you have time to fill it and take a long bath on a regular basis or not--I guess many people find that they don't, over time.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

I like tub shopping! These tubs should be good 2 person tubs that won't require a huge amount of water and I think they are stylish. Take a look at these oval tubs: Jacuzzi Dueta 66 x 36, Jacuzzi Salerno 66 x 36, Jacuzzi Mio 66 x 36, and this corner tub Duravit 700035 66 7/8" X 51 1/8" from Paiova Series

Here is a link that might be useful: cool Duravit corner tub

• xc60
    10 years ago

I've lately seen a few free standing tubs angled in the corner instead of the big deck mounted corner tubs.

• jackfre
    10 years ago

As pointed out, make sure you understand the hot water requirements for any bathtub. I can't tell you how often people have asked me why they weren't told what it would take to make sufficient hot water to fill the tub. To which I always reply, because you wouldn't have bought the tub. I have seen many systems over the years where the installed tank water heater couldn't get hot water up to the jets before going cold.

Pick the tub you like. You are building this place for you, not the next owner. I have a tankless water heater and it will make about 5.5-6 gpm of tub temp water. It is what I recommend for a large tub.

• homepro01
    10 years ago

My sister has a corner tub and it is a two person job to clean it. I personally don't like them. The Duravit Pavlova and the Seadream are some of my favorite tubs if you want a larger tub. Also, consider a freestanding tub like the Victoria and Albert tubs. I personally would not get a whirlpool but I would get an air tub with a heater. These are easier to clean and more enjoyable to use in my opinion. I second the recommendation to get either a tankless water heater or a point of use electric heater that would boost the temperature of the water coming into the tub only. Look at Eemax and stiebel eltron are some options.
    Best of luck!
    Homepro01

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your recommendations! My husband will probably be using the bath the most...at our old house we renovated we had a free standing 78 gallon tub and he was in there almost every night haha! I like the idea of a water heater though for sure! I will take a look at the tubs that were recommended. My thought was if the tub is going in the corner, why not make the most use of the square footage and do a triangular tub instead of a regular rectangular one where you would have unused space in the back corner.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

OK, I suggested 2 person tubs. how tall is your husband so I can suggest a new list of tubs. Sounds like he is a tub person (like me) and we need to find a good tub for him. You can go with a free standing tub that will give you more floor space. Or you can go with a drop in tub and depending upon the placement and finish of the deck, create a "bench" to sit on. Does he want whirlpool or air or just plain old fashioned soaking (which is back in style)?

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

He is 5"11 about 220lbs...I don't think he has a preference. We had a soaking tub at our old house. I feel like I may use it more if it had jets. We stayed at a hotel in Florida that had a corner tub with jets and it fit both of us really well so that was also why I was considering a similar one.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Free standing or deck tub?

I'm a quiet soaking bather, but what I have learned from this forum is that folks have moved away from whirlpools and are installing heated air tubs. You can search this forum for pros and cons. So whirlpool or air?

Price point. Folks on this forum love their Bain Ultra tubs which have a stronger air presence than the Kohler, but a higher cost. So how much do you want to pay for the tub? $2000, 3000, 4000? Also freestanding are more expensive and you have to include the exposed plumbing. You can build a tile shelf on the wall behind the tub and mount a roman deck faucet instead.

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm this is the first time ive heard of air tubs but I just read up on them and they sound great! We are already way over budget on just the excavation alone so the less expensive the better. Do they make air tubs for around $2000? Also I think we will go with a drop in this time to cut down on costs.

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm this is the first time ive heard of air tubs but I just read up on them and they sound great! We are already way over budget on just the excavation alone so the less expensive the better. Do they make air tubs for around $2000? Also I think we will go with a drop in this time to cut down on costs.

• xc60
    10 years ago

Hi Anna_in_TX, you can also get free standing tubs that you can deck mount the faucets. That's what we are having installed in our build. I wanted to have the traditional claw foot until I saw that the exposed plumbing sets can cost a ton. Ekkk!! So went with a deck mount free standing instead.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

xc60 - sounds great - I know just enough to be dangerous. I love this forum. I learn more from it than going to the plumbing showrooms.

katmomma, you will have to search this forum for air tubs. I can help you with selecting drop in tubs based on shape, size, quality. You basically want a good quality air tub without the price tag. Mirabelle tubs are well designed, deep and I see that folks on this forum have purchased them as air tubs. They are private label for Ferguson (made by Clarke). I like the feel of their acrylic better than Kohler. I don't see folks talking about Kohler air tubs but they make a solid whirlpool and are priced right. I do not know how the Jacuzzi air tubs are but I personally like their designs - they are priced right for you too. Jason, owned by the former Jacuzzi folks, can get pricey. Same with MTI, Hydrosystems, and Americh. Maax tubs are nice but I see on this forum that folks say that their air tubs are loud.

• katmomma
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! You have been extremely helpful. I will do some research and get back with you on what I find.

• anna_in_tx
    10 years ago

Also, check into acrylic tub makers in your regional area that primarily sell to builders. Ask your builder/contractor for local tub manufacturers too. For example, Royal Baths here in Texas makes really nice tubs that hold up 20+ years, 10 yr warrenty, 1/3 heavier than Kohler tubs, don't lose color. They do sell retail but do not deliver.

Laurel Mountain in PA sells through Lowes and they will customize. www.laurelmountainwhirlpools.com

Clarke sells their own line as well as makes Pro Flo and Mirabelle for Ferguson plumbing. www.clarkeproducts.com and www.ferguson.com Note - not all Pro Flo products (Ferguson private label) are that great, but their tubs are very nice.

This post was edited by Anna_in_TX on Sun, Jan 5, 14 at 20:01

• Palzywalzy
    10 years ago

I believe they are according to the design magazines...ElleDecor, Architectural Digest, etc. The big thing is freestanding or clawfoot tubs. I hope this helps. That said the clawfoots and such will also be dated. IMHO the standard rectangular tub, is the most timeless if that is a concern. I am having a similar issue with the recessed lighting in my house. The contractor installed all 5", he recommended it and I agreed. After going to a buch of different houses that I liked, I felt the cans were too big and I am now changing them to 4". Not because it is the thing to do but the large r cans are not looking as contemporary, which is what I want.