Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandywine72

Gross to store books in a bathroom?

Brandywine72
10 years ago

We just finished putting in a powder room. The space has a huge recess from a fireplace we discovered was buried in the wall. We put shelves in it that would be perfect for books. But bathrooms seem to call for hard surfaces that can be wiped down of the microscopic germs that escape from the loo when you flush. It seems gross to me to have soft surfaces, including a shelf full of books, in the bathroom. Do others agree or am I over reacting? It is tempting, but is it unsanitary?

Here is an inspiration photo from a house I adore on Houzz (Smith and Vansant Architects). I cannot think of what else to put on shelves in a powder room aside from extra rolls of tp and a pretty box with some tampons and bottle of advil.

Comments (11)

• homepro01
    10 years ago

I agree with you. An iPad or other tablet would work for entertainment in the bathroom:-)

For your shelves, consider framed pictures or art work that is placed on the shelf. Maybe an oil diffuser for scent, there are small ones that should fit on a shelf. Some wooden or colored containers that are stacked to create visual interest.

Good luck!

• Brandywine72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the idea of framed pictures. I'm not big on displaying family photos but just got a great black and white one of my mom from her college days. Maybe some vintage family photos. The bathroom has a masculine vintage vibe going on.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Very interesting space next to the can. Nah books, IMHO. Some fancy tiles as a background, then a few small pieces of art, and a fancy Kleenex Box. Keep the space rather open. Photos could include Yosemite, but not people. Sitting there on the can isn't the place for family photos.

-Babka

• Brandywine72
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Babka (Cinnamon?)

You are so right about family photos not being the place. I can see this shelf when I walk past it and keep thinking of that view of it, not the view from on the John. I so love how the room is shaping up that I keep forgetting it is a bathroom!

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

rolled up hand towels or a little basket with some inside, a nice diffuser with scent, a couple of fancy boxes with the tampons etc. maybe a knickknack or two that are hard surface and can be washed off in the sink periodically. Maybe a little box or basket with some hand soaps beside the TP

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

I don't get this "gross" business. Think about the order in which you do things in the bathroom. Your hands are always clean.

• eaga
    10 years ago

Thank you for reviving a lost childhood memory. Growing up, we referred to the bathroom, euphemistically, as the 'library'. Never kept books in there though, just magazines :).

I don't think it's gross, just a little offbeat, which might be ok in a home that has hidden fireplaces.

• sloyder
    10 years ago

use for towels, toilet paper, glass jars, art tile, etc..

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Books and water don't mix. Only things that can be cleaned should be in a bathroom. Gee, hmmmmmmm "library" brings to mind going to "see a man about a dog". Which, now as I think of it doesn't make any sense to me, but I am sure I heard/used that phrase in college.

-Babka

• eaga
    10 years ago

Ha ha Babka, I've heard that one too, only with horse instead of dog. Didn't make sense to me either, and the first time I heard it I asked whether I could go see the horse too.

I would agree about the water/book issue, but since it's just a powder room I don't think it will get too humid in there for books.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Here is our built in magazine rack.

If you close the lid before flushing most things are contained in the toilet.

I think you have a cool space and would put some reading material there.