Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Niche - How to Tile?

Posted by BlackChamois (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 4, 12 at 20:48

I am installing a niche in my shower.

I am using a white subway for the field tile. The sides of the niche (inside the niche) will be the subway tiles also, but on the back of the niche I am doing a "mosaic" effect with penny rounds.

My question is ... do I lay the side tiles first, and then the penny rounds? Or the penny rounds first, and then the side tiles?

I know it may sounds like a trivial detail! I am inclined to say the former ... side tiles first, then the penny rounds, but would like to hear from the experts! Thanks much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Niche - How to Tile?

It'd look much better if you do the penny tile first. They're a little tough to cut straight, and have a tendency to fall off the sheet if you cut them on a wet saw. Installing them first means you don't have to be as precise with your cutting, because the side pieces will hide the cuts, thereby giving you a much cleaner look.

o
post Script

now-- I hope you've waterproofed this niche, and about 6" out onto the wall all around it??

o

Thank you for the info on setting the tile! I've seen some advice to use Redguard. Is that what you would suggest?

o

Either that or Hydroban.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here