Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile does not extend down enough around bathtub

Posted by oollaam (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 20:35

I have incorrectly installed tiles around bathtub. Tile is only about 1/8" below top of bathtub lip. I now realize that it should have extended to about 1/8" from the tub surface, but it is too late...

Water barrier and duralock has been used behind the tiles.

I planned on using silicone and sealing well behind the tile and creating silicone ridge at 45 degrees to the tile so that water flows away from this surface.

My question is, do you think this approach will work? Do you have any other ideas what can be done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile does not extend down enough around bathtub

oollaam:

Don't panic.

Lay a bead of 100% silicone between the flange and the tile.

Find a solid surface (Corian) fabricator and have him rip enough color coordinated solid surface to fill the space but still leave a small gap between the solid surface and the tub and the solid surface and the tile. Fill these gaps with color matched or clear silicone too.

Make it look like an accent that you planned for. It could turn out very nice. It's not gonna leak, that's for sure.

o
RE: Tile does not extend down enough around bathtub

Colour-matching silicone caulk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here